Bitch about fuel prices

aim

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aim said:

weaker dollar and lower local production rates.

missed the point.

Aussie government subsidises fuel. Ours more than doubles the price by taxing the shit out of it.

It seems to me that in aussie you pay over the top for luxuries, but necessities are cheap as chips.

NZ has got it all twisted and does the opposite.

nz is just scaming us for all our money.first of all gst went up now gas.

were alread gettting taxed hrd out .bullshit i say!

all i can say is there will be alot of gas runners from people not being able to afford petrol

Gas prices are going to get even worse, given the 50bps drop in the OCR today..

Means the NZD will soften, increasing the NZD cost of importing gas.

Good timing for the company car, I reckon ;)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='ODB said:

If my bighorn was fast enough to get away id install a James Bond style changing numberplate lol

/quote]

run it on vege oil :)

ultimately that would see me hitting take away stores for their used oil, rather than petrol bowsers.

I still think the Bighorn wont be fast enough for a getaway lol

There's been lots of comments of "Supply vs Demand" which is true, however the underlying issue should not be news to anyone at all - we have a finite supply of oil, and while this is still many years away from being depleted, the more we use, the harder it gets to extract more oil. (Did you know that OPEC has been found to be lying about the oil reserves they've got quite significantly?)

The term is "Peak Oil" - this is when Oil production reaches its maximum, before it gets too difficult to get more and the production/day starts dropping. We reached Peak Oil in 2008 - just before the oil prices went up and the Global Economic Crisis happened (I still think that it was the oil price scare that got the GBC started).

When Oil was first discovered, 1 barrel worth of oil could retrieve 100 - 200 barrels (that is the amount of oil needed to put into trucks/oils/manufacturing the equipment that is required to get oil out the ground).

Nowadays, it takes 1 barrel to get just 4 barrels out the ground, as its gotten that much more difficult to find the oil. They talk about oil sands and making oil from coal, but these use even more oil. Coal is not too bad - also about 1 barrel invested to make 4 barrels, but the oil sands/shale costs 8 barrels to get 1 barrel out at present, so its not viable until the price of oil reaches about $300 a barrel for crude.

I've been ridiculed as a paranoid conspiracy theorist by people because I say we're going to be facing a worldwide energy crisis - but when the prices go up like this, those same people suddenly go very very quiet.

The price is also very much impacted by the futures/options markets where people realize that there is a bit of a crisis happening in the Middle East, so start buying those oil options... this increases demand and pushes the price up - other people see the price going up, so jump on the same bandwagon and buy more - price goes up further... etc etc.

The fact of the matter is humans are retarded - well not really, but we're extremely short-sighted and just use up as much as we can right now, after all - it's too big a problem for me to fix, so I'll just carry on.

Whilst I LOVE driving, and I'm as much a culprit as anyone, isn't it REALLY REALLY dumb that we drive around, alone in our 1000kg cars, and 99% of the fuel we use is used to move the steel cage?

I see us having to live a lot smarter if we want to continue living in the "civilised" manner which we've come to love.

1. We should be driving much smaller, lighter cars for short distances - I think we'll get to a point where the avg car has a 400cc (thinking a Honda VFR engine with around 45kW) and weighs about 250kgs, with a top speed of about 80kph. Sure for longer distances and sport/recreation we should keep bigger cars - but our "get around" cars should get much smaller.

2. We should be living closer to our workplaces, or telecommuting (maybe have localized non-business specific "offices" where people can work out of), or perhaps having "communities" centred around our workplaces...

3. Everyone with property should probably have a small garden in their backyard, which would not make a major difference for individuals, but the impact on the whole world would mean a large reduction in fertilizers and all the oil used to produce them, then also a reduction of oil used for transporting those.

4. We should be living much smarter - better designed houses with less heating requirements, all waste made into natural gas, wind generators etc. to help generate power.

5. Public transport needs to be completely redesigned, and used - (once again, I LOVE cars and LOVE driving fast but really - just think about this for a second. How much effort does it take to kill someone with a gun? Well you have to own a gun, then you have to load it... you have to pull it out the holster, point it at the person you want to kill, and pull the trigger. It takes quite a few decisions to kill someone with a gun. - Now, kill someone with a car? 1 second of inattention or distraction, and 2 degrees movement on the steering wheel can do it...or perhaps your foot slipping off the brake. It's WAY easier to kill someone with a gun than a car. Having 2million cars on the road is like having 2 million people walking around pointing their guns at people, and trying not to pull the trigger).

6. If we've got better designed houses, and public transport etc, it would mean people can walk or cycle more - this helps us keep healthy, reduces pollution and ALSO brings down the fuel consumption, and ALSO means we're saving money we would have spent on fuel, to now spend on other things (insert drugs/alcohol/pr0n/whatever else you like).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I've had these thoughts for a while and needed a space to vent them :)

Fake Edit:

For those who mentioned getting Oil from Iraq not really having an impact on the price of oil. I beg to differ. It had a major impact on the price of fuel - in America! You see all those companies that went into Iraq were American companies - where do you think they ship the oil to? Correct - America.

The whole Iraq thing was a set up from the beginning to get the oil, Afghanistan the same (but that was for Natural Gas for Europe mostly).

For a time it looked like America would go to war with Iran - yes, that was also because they wanted the oil, except Iran probably really does have nukes, and so they couldn't risk it without getting nuked.

I suspect that the situation in Libya and Bahrain was started by events we cannot see. Its like a giant game of chess. You mark my words - America or someone had their hand in starting the trouble, and at some point, America or England or someone is going to end up going in to "help out" or "bring democracy" to these troubled areas - and watch where the oil goes after that.

The thing is, America isn't doing it for the whole world - America is doing it for America - the 3rd world war has already begun - and its everyone after the oil.

Scuduria said:

There's been lots of comments of "Supply vs Demand" which is true, however the underlying issue should not be news to anyone at all - we have a finite supply of oil, and while this is still many years away from being depleted, the more we use, the harder it gets to extract more oil. (Did you know that OPEC has been found to be lying about the oil reserves they've got quite significantly?)

The term is "Peak Oil" - this is when Oil production reaches its maximum, before it gets too difficult to get more and the production/day starts dropping. We reached Peak Oil in 2008 - just before the oil prices went up and the Global Economic Crisis happened (I still think that it was the oil price scare that got the GBC started).

When Oil was first discovered, 1 barrel worth of oil could retrieve 100 - 200 barrels (that is the amount of oil needed to put into trucks/oils/manufacturing the equipment that is required to get oil out the ground).

Nowadays, it takes 1 barrel to get just 4 barrels out the ground, as its gotten that much more difficult to find the oil. They talk about oil sands and making oil from coal, but these use even more oil. Coal is not too bad - also about 1 barrel invested to make 4 barrels, but the oil sands/shale costs 8 barrels to get 1 barrel out at present, so its not viable until the price of oil reaches about $300 a barrel for crude.

I've been ridiculed as a paranoid conspiracy theorist by people because I say we're going to be facing a worldwide energy crisis - but when the prices go up like this, those same people suddenly go very very quiet.

The price is also very much impacted by the futures/options markets where people realize that there is a bit of a crisis happening in the Middle East, so start buying those oil options... this increases demand and pushes the price up - other people see the price going up, so jump on the same bandwagon and buy more - price goes up further... etc etc.

The fact of the matter is humans are retarded - well not really, but we're extremely short-sighted and just use up as much as we can right now, after all - it's too big a problem for me to fix, so I'll just carry on.

Whilst I LOVE driving, and I'm as much a culprit as anyone, isn't it REALLY REALLY dumb that we drive around, alone in our 1000kg cars, and 99% of the fuel we use is used to move the steel cage?

I see us having to live a lot smarter if we want to continue living in the "civilised" manner which we've come to love.

1. We should be driving much smaller, lighter cars for short distances - I think we'll get to a point where the avg car has a 400cc (thinking a Honda VFR engine with around 45kW) and weighs about 250kgs, with a top speed of about 80kph. Sure for longer distances and sport/recreation we should keep bigger cars - but our "get around" cars should get much smaller.

2. We should be living closer to our workplaces, or telecommuting (maybe have localized non-business specific "offices" where people can work out of), or perhaps having "communities" centred around our workplaces...

3. Everyone with property should probably have a small garden in their backyard, which would not make a major difference for individuals, but the impact on the whole world would mean a large reduction in fertilizers and all the oil used to produce them, then also a reduction of oil used for transporting those.

4. We should be living much smarter - better designed houses with less heating requirements, all waste made into natural gas, wind generators etc. to help generate power.

5. Public transport needs to be completely redesigned, and used - (once again, I LOVE cars and LOVE driving fast but really - just think about this for a second. How much effort does it take to kill someone with a gun? Well you have to own a gun, then you have to load it... you have to pull it out the holster, point it at the person you want to kill, and pull the trigger. It takes quite a few decisions to kill someone with a gun. - Now, kill someone with a car? 1 second of inattention or distraction, and 2 degrees movement on the steering wheel can do it...or perhaps your foot slipping off the brake. It's WAY easier to kill someone with a gun than a car. Having 2million cars on the road is like having 2 million people walking around pointing their guns at people, and trying not to pull the trigger).

6. If we've got better designed houses, and public transport etc, it would mean people can walk or cycle more - this helps us keep healthy, reduces pollution and ALSO brings down the fuel consumption, and ALSO means we're saving money we would have spent on fuel, to now spend on other things (insert drugs/alcohol/pr0n/whatever else you like).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I've had these thoughts for a while and needed a space to vent them :)

Fake Edit:

For those who mentioned getting Oil from Iraq not really having an impact on the price of oil. I beg to differ. It had a major impact on the price of fuel - in America! You see all those companies that went into Iraq were American companies - where do you think they ship the oil to? Correct - America.

The whole Iraq thing was a set up from the beginning to get the oil, Afghanistan the same (but that was for Natural Gas for Europe mostly).

For a time it looked like America would go to war with Iran - yes, that was also because they wanted the oil, except Iran probably really does have nukes, and so they couldn't risk it without getting nuked.

I suspect that the situation in Libya and Bahrain was started by events we cannot see. Its like a giant game of chess. You mark my words - America or someone had their hand in starting the trouble, and at some point, America or England or someone is going to end up going in to "help out" or "bring democracy" to these troubled areas - and watch where the oil goes after that.

The thing is, America isn't doing it for the whole world - America is doing it for America - the 3rd world war has already begun - and its everyone after the oil.

Where is the like button?

And FFS John Key get our boys into Libya asap so WE CAN HAVE CHEAP FUEL!

lol

ODB said:

Aussie government subsidises fuel.

NZ has got it all twisted

Fuck no. More expensive fuel means we use less. Australia keeping prices artificially low can't be good thing. Petrol can be classed as a necessity, but the rate of our consumption can't be.

aim']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

f*** no. More expensive fuel means we use less. Australia keeping prices artificially low can't be good thing. Petrol can be classed as a necessity, but the rate of our consumption can't be.

Think their economy begs to differ from it though.

Timmah']

f*** no. More expensive fuel means we use less. Australia keeping prices artificially low can't be good thing. Petrol can be classed as a necessity, but the rate of our consumption can't be.

Think their economy begs to differ from it though.

word.

Its a real shot in the arm for businesses over there when a staple expense is cheap as chips.

Shipping costs are cheaper.

Raw material extraction is cheaper.

It allows people to drive big cars ie holdens and fords. which are made in Aus.

Trust me this has a huge effect.

[quote name='aim said:

I hardly think you can blame it all on fuel prices mate. By that theory our government should be comparatively rich.

not necessarily. Aussies tax luxury items more heavily than we do here. Doesnt matter where you get your tax from, aslong as you get it!