Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

SOOPERCOOLER Data available

soopersubaru

Did you know you can upgrade your existing air to air or water air intercooler! No more water spray in your engine bay!

This is our water/air soopercooler with improved front radiator and pump.

No huge front mount and associated pipes and holes drilled in your subby. Less turbo lag than front mount!.

Remove your bonnet scoop if you wish.

Will reduce turbo outlet air by at least 100 deg c at 25 psi, (Across the turbo)

potentially will increase wheel Kw output by 20%,(After retune )

Will decrease 0 to 100 kph time dramatically!(especially on hot summer days)

Can be fitted to any turbo Subaru only!

Did add approx 5 kg to My subby! But do the maths! Power increase way out does the weight increase.

Simply put this is a copy of the water to air intercooling system of the late 80s to 92 period. just a higher flow rate system for the air and the water cooling.

Having built a race engine over 7 years (budget reasons), I hooked up a Link G4 management system,had it tuned etc.

Then found the air intercooling cannot keep up at low speeds and high power demands, intake temp climbing to over 70C!

Front mount with water spray might! Butt Ugly!? an too much turbo lag for me. Drippin water every where etc. Yuk!

So i tried the old water to air principle and found that with a radiator in a high flow area.i.e. the front of the car,better intercooling is achieved.

when the car was retuned on the last occasion the power was up from 198kw to 248 kw 4th gear at the wheels.

air temp across the intercooler was found to be reduced from 150 deg C to 48C @ 25psi boost.

Engine bay temp has also been reduced noticeably. (didnt have to measure it)

No lies just facts! Thanks.

Cooler air equals more HP its that simple.

Ambient would be the perfect IAT however this is not possible when ya compress the air a?.

And ya may achieve 200 with the old!

True ya can! BUT it will not sustain this heat loading for long.Two or three laps at puke an thats it!

IAT about 70 or higher before engine detonates its self to bits!

The soopercooler fitted to my car is the Mk3 prototype,, uncoated or painted, front rad is a 3 core one that fits dimesionally, And is not for sale.

This is the only unit made.It does work well, improvements on looks and insulation will be done!

(5 core front rad to be fitted)

It is an improved water intercooling system capable of supporting 250 kw EJ20 turbo with VF22 fitted Link G4 driven.

Extra weight?.Also a point to consider,However in this case i added 5kg and came up with 20% more Kw so im pretty pleased with that.

4 litres in the system.(beats carrying 15 litres for a spray system)

Tis true we all have our own idea on what is the best car etc.

My car has been developed as a usable fast car that can race. (Aircon an leather seats too!)1700 kg

SO bearing that in mind a cross between drag an race was reached

(i.e. A Road car that hustles! Yet by all appearances does not!)

If one is at the extreme end of track race then my soopercooler may not suit what you want.

if one is at the extreme top end of drags (1/4 mile) then this technology will also probably not suit you as more can be gained utilizing intercooler technology that suits these 2 extremes best.

If however you want something that does both reasonably well then a water recirculation system is the way to go as it can cope well in both areas.

It does need to be bigger than the original to cope above 200kw.

So thats what we did!

Made a bigger one that copes with the hp we are currently producing.

Simple idea an a lot o math!

Any person that would also like to fit one can!(subaru only)

Below is the data downloaded from the G4

(A text file can be emailed to you so that you can play it on your own G4 software Vers 4.4 early one!)

Boost was held high under brakes 4th gear, car speed 100 kph,Ambient temp 24C.

Under very hard driving this unit performs very well.!

This car achieves 250 kw and will get to over 200 kph is less than 35 sec.

(higher car speed will only improve cooling)(Data from a track will come in time)

Remember that every-time you get off boost your intercooler recovers to some extent.

If this car is driven at high speed overtaking etc as required and more, the IAT rarely exceeds 20C above ambient and even then only briefly and stabilizes at around 8 above ambient.(old std water system sits at 12C above)

Keep ya rancid comments to yourself!

It only gets ya in trouble!

FMIC too much lag!/loose throttle response/Ugly?

TMIC gets too hot!/Have to carry spray water

WATMIC Costs more! But works better across the range of a high speed road car./Can be hidden(sleepa look!)

Please have a look at the links below

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/xritagx/?action=view&current=test3.png (Graph)

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/xritagx/?action=view&current=003.jpg

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/xritagx/?action=view&current=001.jpg

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/xritagx/?action=view&current=002.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

soopersubaru

Sticking your foot in your mouth is one thing, but actually throat jobbing yourself with it is another matter.

As I said in response to your cranky PM, cut and paste your ad and try again.

If that doesn't suit then take your wares somewhere else.

Have you looked at the presentation of the system yet?

Still looks but ugly, but at least there is real data now.

Are oyu going to do some dyno runs for data comparison with a factory WAIC from similar year vs Air to Air IC?

i.e. Supercooler vs factory WAIC vs AAIC???

subieboy said:

Are oyu going to do some dyno runs for data comparison with a factory WAIC from similar year vs Air to Air IC?

HaHa ! On the looks! Can only improve from here a?

Would like to compare data. Of course this is possible.However the retune costs and muckin around at the tuners is prohibitive to this project.

Factory WAIC will not flow enough air for over 200Kw let alone cool it!(been there done that) So thats sorted.

AAIC? well on a track with good high air flow....Once ya get going its probably the best....MMMaybe!

Would welcome a challenge on the track, same day with one that has a AATMIC or FMIC to absolutely compare data.

Would be very interesting!

soopersubaru']

[quote name='subieboy said:

/quote]

HaHa ! On the looks! Can only improve from here a?

Would like to compare data. Of course this is possible.However the retune costs and muckin around at the tuners is prohibitive to this project.

Factory WAIC will not flow enough air for over 200Kw let alone cool it!(been there done that) So thats sorted.

AAIC? well on a track with good high air flow....Once ya get going its probably the best....MMMaybe!

Would welcome a challenge on the track, same day with one that has a AATMIC or FMIC to absolutely compare data.

Would be very interesting!

The better it looks the better it will be recieved.

Then all that is required is some really good tech info presented well and booya you'll be sweet...

Convincing punters is another story...

Please can you re-post in a semi-readable format, talk about information everywhere and those pics are quite shocking you really got to do a proper setup. Looks very Rangi and cheap for the cost of what it is...

As one who is building a track wrx, I do enjoy reading good informative articles on different setups with the data to support it (One graph doesn't exactly scream WOW factor for me). I'm not a hater at all just from my point of view as a potential customer, I would not feel comfortable spending money on this at all.

Does look very rangi alright.

Pics arent that good... (need like full engine bay picture etc etc)

What sort of pump you using? Flow rates of water in the system?

using second hand parts.. whats warranty on this system? availablity of parts long term? How much QA you do on the system?

You seem to be on the right track, I can see you have put some effort in...

but its very rough, and maybe your counting your chickens before they have hatched.

D-Style said:

using second hand parts.. whats warranty on this system? availablity of parts long term? How much QA you do on the system?

but its very rough, and maybe your counting your chickens before they have hatched.

Pretty sure im on the right track.

Anyone can carry out the test i did for the graph...ya don't need to go on a track...Just hold the boost with the brakes.100Kph..for 40 sec, and monitor the IAT.

Either on the g4 or with a thermocouple as i did.... direct comparison should then be able to be done.

Sure its cobbled together....ITS a prototype!

What is happening on the inside is whats important at this stage.....Still need to increase front rad cooling capacity......Custom built front rad 5 core been quoted at $550.00 + GST

Should we go ahead and actually sell a unit it will be brand new...Coated...Rad cap fitted

The pump will be brand new as well.12 month warranty would be a standard.(only troublesome bit)

Flow rates and volume/heat calcs flows etc will not be disclosed either.

As for pics of the full eng bay LOL! No way!, there are more mods than i care to reveal at this stage.

And of course there are faster cars than mine...That will thrash me round the track...However i would still like to meet some doubters at the track and compare IAT for given boost etc...(not track time/speed)

For me its about proving the system,not beating every other car around and around....Otherwise i would have built a track car.

Thanks for your comments!

soopersubaru']

[quote name='D-Style said:

/quote]

Pretty sure im on the right track.

Anyone can carry out the test i did for the graph...ya don't need to go on a track...Just hold the boost with the brakes.100Kph..for 40 sec, and monitor the IAT.

Either on the g4 or with a thermocouple as i did.... direct comparison should then be able to be done.

Sure its cobbled together....ITS a prototype!

What is happening on the inside is whats important at this stage.....Still need to increase front rad cooling capacity......Custom built front rad 5 core been quoted at $550.00 + GST

Should we go ahead and actually sell a unit it will be brand new...Coated...Rad cap fitted

The pump will be brand new as well.12 month warranty would be a standard.(only troublesome bit)

Flow rates and volume/heat calcs flows etc will not be disclosed either.

As for pics of the full eng bay LOL! No way!, there are more mods than i care to reveal at this stage.

And of course there are faster cars than mine...That will thrash me round the track...However i would still like to meet some doubters at the track and compare IAT for given boost etc...(not track time/speed)

For me its about proving the system,not beating every other car around and around....Otherwise i would have built a track car.

Thanks for your comments!

While agree that you should keep you calcs to yourself, flow rates of the system (both air into engine/ press drop arcoss i/c, and the flow rate of the water and volume of water) should be stated.

Do you have 10l of water flowing at 1lph? or 1l of water flowing at 10lph? this has a hugh impact on the results

And saying the unit is "good" for 250kw or whatever, but no other stats to say does this flow more or has lower press drop than a OEM system... Cooler temps are not the only think you have to think about....

I have already build 2 water-to-air unit before. One for a Skyline running a RB30/25DET engine, other on a V2 RA.

Thou I went a different way on how I cooled the water in the system. There was a a couple of common problems i ran into on them, but i'll just leave you to do your own R&D on those.

Are these going to be a Pre-made kit you can DIY install, or is it exchange basis that you install?

D-Style said:

I have already build 2 water-to-air unit before. One for a Skyline running a RB30/25DET engine, other on a V2 RA.

Thou I went a different way on how I cooled the water in the system. There was a a couple of common problems i ran into on them, but i'll just leave you to do your own R&D on those.

Are these going to be a Pre-made kit you can DIY install, or is it exchange basis that you install?

The only way i know how to cool the water in the system is with another radiator.

Interested to know how else you can do it?

Common problems? Cant say i've had one. do tell. Mine is MK 3 though!

We would like to custom build a unit for an interested customer.

This is the only way to achieve the "new" look that is required.

Price? Well its not cheap to get together,

We would be open to an offer of sensible costing that suits all parties.

Well you need to do your research then....

Just for pointers, Your cool your water with a radiator? and you cant think of anything else to cool it with?????

Here is 2x other methods which can be used:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=32030

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/cryo2-system-components/cryo2-fuel-chilling-system

Ive used a a clone of both these methods on my old car.

2mins surfing the net to find these...

Also these methods have been done by a few memebers on this site already, using just a Esky(chilly bin) coil of tube, hose, and re-wiring the I/C water pump to run full time on a Factory RS legacy Water to Air IC unit.

D-Style said:

Well you need to do your research then....

Just for pointers, Your cool your water with a radiator? and you cant think of anything else to cool it with?????

Here is 2x other methods which can be used:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=32030

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/cryo2-system-components/cryo2-fuel-chilling-system

Ive used a a clone of both these methods on my old car.

2mins surfing the net to find these...

Also these methods have been done by a few memebers on this site already, using just a Esky(chilly bin) coil of tube, hose, and re-wiring the I/C water pump to run full time on a Factory RS legacy Water to Air IC unit.

Think ya might have ya wires crossed mate.

This is an intercooler system for cooling the air, I Already have the fuel rails nice an chilled.

But thanks anyway.

As for a Chilly bin idea for cooling the circ water....Yes a good one for your Hillclimber or short sprinter,hardly practical for a road car A?

Ya ice would melt before ya get to hamilton, bet ya carry more than 5kg of it too.

Brine ice works excellent on a hillclimber!

And the soopercooler will work even better using this! (hillclimb/short sprint stuff using this idea)