Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Having your cake and eating it as well...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice post qwerty, as a user of a vf23 - and mine was even modifed reconditioned new - cost me around $1000 and the curve is identical if not worse than qwerty's and comparing to my gt3071 its just the same.

a GREAT example of technology moving on. I'll try to put my comparison graphs together.

pedro - a new vf23, go to D&T and ask them what its worth.. around 2k when i asked. my gt30 new when i bought it, about 2k ;)

Qwerty said:

1bar about 3700

which is actually irrrrrrrrrelevant... it could make 1bar at 5700 for all i care. What your graph is showing is that the gt3071 is putting down more power at every rev point compared to the vf23.

By chance what do the torque curves look like compared qwerty?

WRXONP - recognise the vf23 curve by chance? :-X

funkytown said:

By chance what do the torque curves look like compared qwerty?

The vf23 makes peak torque at about 4500rpm but by 7000rpm its making 25% less torque. So as the revs rise it drops away especially from 5500 onwards.

Whereas the 3071 makes the same torque at 4500rpm and 7000rpm. So pretty flat curve

So we can see what the more modern garrett can do versus the vf23.

What about a more upto date IHI turbo the vf34 ? Which is slightly bigger than the vf23. So in theory not spool as well...

vf23vsvf34vsgarrett.jpg

As we can see the vf34 has quite abit more midrange power the 3071 only beats it at the top end.

IMO vf34 is a damn good turbo for a 2.0 street car.

vf23 = blue vf34 = pink

would be interesting to see the rev points on there.

for all those td05 lovers can we over lay one of those?

Qwerty said:

IMO vf34 is a damn good turbo for a 2.0 street car.

agree - it certainly shows. like before - what of the torque curves on this comparison?

As a guide the pink plot dots = the rev points 3500, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000

The blue plot has an additional points at 3000 and 4500.

It gets a bit messy but in purple is the torque curve of the vf34. Very high peak figure falling off.

Since power = torque x rpm you can see the relationship here.

Torque is higher for the vf34 low down so it make more power there vs the others. The 3071 makes a heap of torque up high so it makes more power up high.

vf23vsvf34vsgarrett.jpg