Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI Intercooler

zarnah

Hey guys as some of you may remember from the old site I had started a thread following the build up of my latest project, A 1989 VZ legacy that im converting to RS spec, well have done a bit on it and pick up my engine on saturday, thing is I was on trademe the other morning looking at the $1 reserve auctions at 3.30am (im a dairy farmer lol) and there was an sti intercooler and Y pipe etc ending at that time in the morning! couldnt resist and ended up getting a mint setup for $40!! my question is, without actualy having the engine in the bay yet to check, is it going to fit? its one of the silver ones with "tuned by STI" on it with the red silicon pipes. I dont mind making my own brackets etc if needed just wana know if im goin to have enough room?

Not sure if this will help, but I have one on my BD5 RS (2nd Gen Leggy, single conv) and it doesn't fit that well. Firstly its way thicker, and even with making new support brackets its really tight, mine fouls a bit on the heater pipes - so I tweaked the brackets up a bit and then it fouls on the strut tower brace! Got it sorta 'credit card' width between the two at tho moment and it seems ok, placed some strips of rubber to insulated it from the heater pipes etc, was bangin a bit when the engine flexed.

There's also two types that are silver and have the tuned by STi sticker on it. The V3/4 ones, and the V5/6 ones i think. Only difference is the BOV flange. The problem you may have is that the throttle body on the intake manifold might be a bit further back than on the V3-6 manifolds. That may make things a titer fit, but i'm unsure - it could be just fine. What intake manifold are you using? I assume you have an EJ20G one?

I don't know if you'll have problems though. You'll just have to wait and see, but i reckon you should be alright, just might need some perswaiding in the end. After all, it's possible to stick V7 STi intercoolers in a V3/4 engine bays after some fussing about.

Id stick with the water to air setup...chuck a bigger heat exchanger radiator on it looks like a front mount air to air haha...water to air is supposed to be better is it?

yeap I would be inclined to use the water to air setup but the donor car has had it removed and just thought since I got the sti setup cheap I might try use it, no biggy if its gonna be a pain in the ass as im sure i'll easily make my money back on it, just thought it be something a bit different

MINTGTB']

[quote name='Oscar said:

It's not RS spec if it has one of those horrible air to air intercoolers.

/quote]

Water-Air Interheaters are FAIL ricko.. we've gone thru this before! :P

Having no proper scoop and an air-to-air is a bigger problem. The early air-to-air units are a much worse interheater than the Leagcy water-to-air ones, especially once the turbo starts operating in the outer regions of its efficiency zones.

Spamming someones thread with in-jokes is also the worst problem.

wildturkey said:

This might not be helpful given you already got ur a2a but have a good think about water to air set up. Really under rated but very efficient well into the 250kw atw terrirtory

And what do you base this on? Cooling wise they do allright, but they simply can't flow enough air for 250kw@wheels

Actually besides the larger V7 onward coolers they do better than the rest

MINTGTB']

[quote name='Oscar said:

It's not RS spec if it has one of those horrible air to air intercoolers.

/quote]

You've just been owned by the old skoolers. AWIC is damn good, and don't you forget it.

BC5RA']

[quote name='Oscar said:

I wonder how much the integrated feed pipe actually hurts flow rate.

/quote]

Lots, intrestingly the Aussie Liberty AWIC tapers down at the tank restricting flow, Our JDM versions do not. Same as the WRC Legacy.

So does that mean we have a better setup? Then what's the big deal about how well these things flow?

It's not cooling thats the issue its airflow amount, particularly from turbo to inter cooler tank.

Seeing as though you can buy a nice ricer front mount for around 500, not many people look into modifying the set-up.

Few easy things to do, Buy an early WRX samco inter cooler pipe kit and cut down the turbo to cooler pipe hose to suit which will slightly increase flow, fit a larger heat exchanger (you can buy another exchanger and have the end tanks cut off and add the exchanger to you existing one) and high flow water pump.

MRT used to do a kit (they don't anymore) consisting of a larger heat exchanger using the above method and high flow fuel pump, after exchanging emails with them, they said they hit a wall at about 350 crank horsepower (200kw@wheels)

Those who are very keen could cut off the cast alloy pipe and create a new inlet system onto the tank.

BC5RA said:

It's not cooling thats the issue its airflow amount, particularly from turbo to inter cooler tank.

Seeing as though you can buy a nice ricer front mount for around 500, not many people look into modifying the set-up.

Few easy things to do, Buy an early WRX samco inter cooler pipe kit and cut down the turbo to cooler pipe hose to suit which will slightly increase flow, fit a larger heat exchanger (you can buy another exchanger and have the end tanks cut off and add the exchanger to you existing one) and high flow water pump.

MRT used to do a kit (they don't anymore) consisting of a larger heat exchanger using the above method and high flow fuel pump, after exchanging emails with them, they said they hit a wall at about 350 crank horsepower (200kw@wheels)

Those who are very keen could cut off the cast alloy pipe and create a new inlet system onto the tank.

They don't do it anymore!? what a bugger.