Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Back from the panel

Hikari

Hi all, my car had been hit by some arsehole so it had been sent to AA and they sent it away to a panel beater on wednesday.

They called me up today and the car looks damn fine... except while driving home the car sounds VERY different. I still get the same boost and everything but the car sounds rather high than usual.

At idle the car had a nice deep purr'ing noise now its just sounds like crap.

Will be putting up on the hoist at work on monday, but do you guys think they might have done some to it?

Car was all factory except having the whole exhaust changed to a straight free flow

I thought you were running 23psi? How does that work if the car is entirely factory?

Also, no-one on here has heard your car prior to, or after the said work was carried out so it's a fairly ambiguous question to be asking. Maybe it just sounds different after they let the apprentice panel beater take it for a 160km/hr 23psi boost down the motorway...

changed the exhaust (not just the tip)

like from the manifold all the way to the end of the exhaust to a Trust performance freeflow. I don't know how i get the 23psi, from what I see its all factory but something more might have been done on the car.

Bought it as is so I am not too sure on deeply whats been done

could be the sound of your engine crying from the bucket loads of hot cavitated air being stuffed into the cylinders

could be the turbo complaining about how fast you're making its compressor blades spin

could be the ecu having a tantrum from how far its having to retard the ignition timing to avoid melting your pistons

sorry but I have no idea how a simple front bumper change could effect the sound of my car...

My best guess is that these nice people decided to fully step on the car and fkd somethin up.

I should have took the odo read before I handed the car. It's so hard to trust anyone with the car anymore

are u sure it was not only the bumper that was harmed

no radiators

no front exhaust

Yes im sure, the car was sounding fine before it was sent off and on the way home from it being repaired sounds bad.

winger opens on monday, will have to sort this out asap.

xsvpwr said:

I thought you were running 23psi? How does that work if the car is entirely factory?

Also, no-one on here has heard your car prior to, or after the said work was carried out so it's a fairly ambiguous question to be asking. Maybe it just sounds different after they let the apprentice panel beater take it for a 160km/hr 23psi boost down the motorway...

My old V7 Sti spiked to this boost once I put an exhaust on it. Not ideal, I just tapped boost back down to 16psi where it was supposed to be. Couldnt have been good for it! Does yours run 23psi right through the rev range? Or just spike and then settle down near 14psi ish.

Hikari said:

Hi all, my car had been hit by some arsehole so it had been sent to AA and they sent it away to a panel beater on wednesday.

They called me up today and the car looks damn fine... except while driving home the car sounds VERY different. I still get the same boost and everything but the car sounds rather high than usual.

At idle the car had a nice deep purr'ing noise now its just sounds like crap.

Will be putting up on the hoist at work on monday, but do you guys think they might have done some to it?

Car was all factory except having the whole exhaust changed to a straight free flow

Ok.. So your car has been at the panelbeater since Wednesday right?

And you picked it up today?

Now it is making funny noises and you reckon the Panelbeaters may have taken it for a boost and done something..

Can i ask you 1 small question...

Who's car were you thrashing Friday when you got your speeding ticket Friday??????

Mummy and daddies?

The 23 must be a momentary peak as don't think the turbo will hold that

Anyway im fully sure that the panel guys must hVe raped it hard hence the change

I used to work next to A panel shop few years back and man did they Ill treat cars

Cold engine full boosts

What I do is have a valet mode map that I load on the car so it's impossible to thrash it

Anyway speak to the insurance Ppl and adv so they at least have that on record

yeah that's common practise. especially if you annoy the shop owners in the slightest. i have some vids on my phone of a well known drift car being raped like fuckery by a shop doing work on the car. he was an asshole to the guys after they refused to do work for him for a sticker instead of payment, but got them to do the work any way

pappu said:

The 23 must be a momentary peak as don't think the turbo will hold that

Anyway im fully sure that the panel guys must hVe raped it hard hence the change

I used to work next to A panel shop few years back and man did they Ill treat cars

Cold engine full boosts

What I do is have a valet mode map that I load on the car so it's impossible to thrash it

Anyway speak to the insurance Ppl and adv so they at least have that on record

I was thinking the new exhaust was making the turbo over spool.

Is there another "dirty" way to put the car in limp mode or something so they can't ruin your engine? I need panel and paint work done and having doubts now.

I had my car in a panel shop last year after taking on a pothole and had similar dramas too. once the car was FINALLY ready I had noticed bug splatter all over the front end, so they had definatley been caning it out on open road. I'm never going back to those losers again.