Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Twin to non.

94 Leone

Okay, Have a '98 BH5 legacy, 2 litre twin turbo.

As my mum killed my last car(her fault, she bought a honda, I didn't even get to drive it much, but it was a peice), we were basically given this car, just a few things and it'll be road legal.

wanting to upgrade to a 2.2 non turbo, similar to the setup my dads 94 brighton has.

Wondering if there are any tricks with electrics/computer, or anything.

If anyone has expertise in this area, would be glad for a bit of help. cheers.

if you leave the engine alone, using all the ecu controls etc then im aware it is unlikely to pop. if you start getting into boost controllers etc you should be fine. thing with a 2.2 swap is an increase in capacity, requiring a certification, and increasing insurance as its a modified car... if you swapped in a 2 litre or 1.8 you would be fine, i think

page 19

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Engine_&_Drive-train_Conversions.pdf

I'm sure beating yourself in the head with a baseball bat would be less painful than converting a TT to non-turbo. Just as someone partying on in N/A territory... ;)

Unless you want to spend some SERIOUS quid and never, ever intend to sell it, I'd leave it as it is. If you really don't want TT...trade it for a TS-R :)

Wiring isn't a problem ;D, I'm not likely to sell the car though no one would want it in it's current state, was a victim of break-in, and steal head unit etc. etc. and the cop never filed the report, so The guy who owned it just gave it to my dad as it blew up, so we got another 2L engine to replace and put that in, but wasn't quite runnig right, then we had to move from our old place it had an epic shed with a pit and a hoist to in town where we can't get much done, has been sitting a bit, I'm slowly getting rid of the mould, the people who broke into it (in hanmer) with a hammer ::) first tried smashing through the windscreen (what geniuses) then decided to smash through the passenger window... and take the heater, and sterio head unit, along with some trim.... loverly..

Other than conversion, things needed: Radiator, find out problem with what current engine is doing(probably going to pull it apart, and clean every bell and whistle, then put it back together) windscreen, passenger window, head unit and AC/heater unit.

Edit:to put the rubbers back onto the 17" stock mags, and a battery, are also needed...

have two pod filters, a blue and a red, wanna help me decide which one to put on?

Though technically isn't much of a conversion, as it's still the EJ model engine.... everything but 4.3(a)

*ramble end*

94 Leone said:

wanting to upgrade to a 2.2 non turbo

This made me lol, i love how you say upgrade to a non turbo (from a twin) :D (I agree!!! Hate TT)

Anyway, your idea that turbos are a bad idea is pretty much false however. Yes they may add unreliability, but if you look after then, they can go forever just like any N/A. And increasing volumetric efficiency is hardly a bad thing!

My honest opinion for you is to tidy the car up, and flick it. Then use the cash to buy a 2.2 or something. I do love 2.2's, but that extra 200cc's brings you up to... what... 130hp, from 120? still more than 100hp short of an EJ turbo.

If it's really as bad as you say it is, part it out, and use the cash to get an early or mid 90's 2.2

I have a honda accord DOHC Vtec to parts out to get cash if anyone wants honda parts(yeah right).

In the long run, It'd be worth it, BUT- I was asking if anyone had any tips that could help WITH the change, if there are any kinks in the process, not people telling me I should sell the parts/car xD.

I appreciate the opinions guys :D

i think this is a conversion that no one on here would think of doing ,or has done so tips may be pretty scarce. going single turbo yea lots of info!!!

taking the turbo off and the rest of the conversion is going to end up costing you the same as an na car but yor car your choice ;)

if you want to do it the mechanical will be easy just the wiring is all you'll really have to worry about, also you'll need a n/a gearbox cross member and full exhaust.

at least you'll have an uprated drive train for the n/a haha

If you REALLY are daft enough to pull a perfectly good TT engine out and drop in an N/A (you'll have no trouble finding a buyer!), I say just drop the N/A in and start her up. Drive her. If you get CEL's popping up, go from there.

You'll likely have to find an N/A ECU for it, it's just a matter of finding one that plugs in. Start by researching if 98-00 N/A's have the 4/3-Plug setup (Phase 2's have a 4 socket ECU, but only 3 loom plugs are used). If they do, you're in luck, and chances are wiring will be essentially the same. At least, this is the case for the 96-98 era.

Engine wise, you're better off keeping the TT engine loom and swaping it onto the N/A. I think doing this should avoid future wiring f***ups. At the ECU end, you may have to change it to wasted spark though, as most subaru N/A's from the era are indeed wasted spark, and so their ECU's will only have 2 ignition outputs. Don't worry, Coil-on-plug can be run as wasted spark (though they will simply age twice as quick)

As for the ECU, any N/A ECU can dive any N/A of the same era. SOHC, DOHC, doesn't matter, YEAR is what matters (timing marks, sensors etc). We have run SOHC's on DOHC ecu's before. Only thing to watch out for is the injectors, 2.2's should be run on red tops. DOHC's have red tops, so are a good start. 2L SOHCs run whites, which flow less, so you might have lean issues at the redline in that case. (Again, a disclaimer here, this is talking from my 96-98 era knowledge, things may have changed dramatically for post 98, and my only post 98 knowledge is of turbo shit)

Also to note, 98 is when subaru introduced AVCS, which adds a whole clusterf*** of f***ery, SO AVOID THESE ENGINES AND ECU's, They will just unleash a world of pain and misery upon you.

Where to start for you? Start with the BH TX's. IIRC, they will have a 2L SOHC, so won't have AVCS. Find out what injectors they run, find out what type of ECU they use. Also try and find out if they made a 2L DOHC without AVCS. If so, you def want and ECU from one of them (will likely drive more appropriate injectors)

At the end of the day, I think you're mad for doing this, but if you want to, just PM me, I'm happy to help out fellow subie owners when I can.

Yah mad, MAD I say.

Though much less mad than trying to put a TT in an N/A. At least doing it this way you get all the GT luxuries, handling, interior etc.

But still... Pulling a perfectly good engine... If i were you i'd f***ing enjoy the turbo gear until it blows up. You will very likely be surprised when it never does (provided you're not a minga and know how to look after one). The engines themselves are not unreliable, it's the owners that are unreliable (missing oil changes, raping from cold etc). The engines are simply unforgiving when you slip up...

I have no problems with the engine, Just don't like the turbs, and With having a new engine, When I want to Replace things with one engine, I can just do a full clean up, whilst swapping the other engine in, so never having to have a non-running car.

not so mad now ae?

Without the turbs, it means both engines will be fine running in the car, and so will have no problems... theoretically.