Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cert for front mount

cuscogtb

Does anyone know if you need a cert for a front mount on a car with airbags?

Some say yes, some say no.

I haven't modified/cut any structural parts of the car, only had to cut the plastic bumper. My WOF is coming up so want to find out before its too late and I have to fork out for another cert.

Its a bit grey that, there was talk of if you have to cut the bumper you needed it certed. I asked the guy I went to as I did cut some metal and he said it was fine if you have no sensors at the front of the car and if you do just dont cut metal.

Yeah some mechanics have said its fine as long as no metal was cut, but then some other mechanics say since it has airbags its needs to be certed regardless of whats been cut.

I'll see what they say when I take it in in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
 luvmaforzzy said:

Yea I read up on it before I put my FMI on and nah you dont need a cert as long as nothing metal gets cut like the others have said.

Any alterations to integral parts of body structure or alterations that may affect the operation of automatic systems. Cert required.

FMIC conversion ok by the rules as long as you meet the criteria.(no more than a 20% increase in power gain)

They can ask you to get a dyno sheet too. Just got to love those men in white coats and there associated PC rules!!

cuscogtb said:

I haven't modified/cut any structural parts of the car, only had to cut the plastic bumper. My WOF is coming up so want to find out before its too late and I have to fork out for another cert.

answer is YES i went get my warrant at VTNZ and i was fail due to that and 2 pages of other mods ive done on my car

reason why because its like having a bull bar on your car and airbag sensors not be triggered

xecuta']

[quote name='cuscogtb said:

/quote]

answer is YES i went get my warrant at VTNZ and i was fail due to that and 2 pages of other mods ive done on my car

reason why because its like having a bull bar on your car and airbag sensors not be triggered

rite so its illegal because the sensor may not trigger......so everything is fine once you hand over the $400 .

thats silly $$$$ doesn't fix that problem :D

JoKer said:

it means they are satisfied you have solved the issue properly

Or some other B/S they blurb out, Money gathering from youngsters to make themselves feel good.

Would agree with them entirely,,,... IF it was a safety issue that needed to be sorted not just listed!

To be sure of yourself get the list of cert requirements then rehearse your calm response...They only think they know their stuff half the time. demonstrate you already know the rules and they usually back off, IF you remain calm and assertive that is :-X!

Of course you use OEM parts!! That's not an issue is it?? ;) ;)

JoKer said:

True you know what im getting at tho? It just seams rather strange. I know multiple people with f/m coolers that have never had an issue .

I agree it all comes down to the person putting the sticker on . like with my job im putting my neck on the line if i dont follow the rules

rex-leggy']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

True you know what im getting at tho? It just seams rather strange. I know multiple people with f/m coolers that have never had an issue .

I agree it all comes down to the person putting the sticker on . like with my job im putting my neck on the line if i dont follow the rules

Its a way to ensure that the work is at least up to a standard where it won't kill you/someone if it all turns to custard. i.e. some people have cars certified to sit 60mm off the ground and they "work" at that height. But if someone just cuts their springs to get that same ride height, it would likely cause some carnage at some point.

You can't just assume that people will do the work to a safe standard because its more likely that 86% of people will do it the easiest way to reach the desired outcome.

I do think there should be a graduated scale for payment on Cert's though. i.e. certing a set of coilovers doesn't take the amount of time that certing a scratch built chassis would for example.

I myself called a certifier and was told I don't need a cert as long as we don't touch/cut anything even with airbag. But once you cut anything then you'll need a cert and it depends on what you cut you may or may not be certed.

In saying this, don't qoute me and it's better if you call a certifier :)

SICNIS said:

so if i was to convert my bf legacy to front mount using this kit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=390054778

if i cut the hole that redline reckons you do would that make my car fail a wof?

Would depend on if the inspector got a bit o nooky or not the night before probably. ;) ;)

If you do this be very crafty about it and repaint,, needs to look perfect! i.e. not altered.

Why bother??

Soopercooler easy to fit... no holes to cut..works well for 250Kw @ 394Nm @ 4800 rpm.. ATW in 4th.. EJ 20 @ 20 psi No cert req!

soopersubaru']

[quote name='SICNIS said:

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=390054778[/url]

if i cut the hole that redline reckons you do would that make my car fail a wof?

Would depend on if the inspector got a bit o nooky or not the night before probably. ;) ;)

If you do this be very crafty about it and repaint,, needs to look perfect! i.e. not altered.

Why bother??

Soopercooler easy to fit... no holes to cut..works well for 250Kw @ 394Nm @ 4800 rpm.. ATW in 4th.. EJ 20 @ 20 psi No cert req!

what turbo you using to get 250wkw at 4800RPM?

i just wanted to front mount to get rid of toasted top mount lol.

my car running a td05 i got off trade me.would be going mint if it had right afm lol

gotasuby']

Why bother??

Modified VF22 that will produce 25 psi....Cold air is the real trick along with high compression ratio and running leaner than most would dare too! a lot more to high Kw and torque than just the turbo.

soopersubaru']

Why bother??

Modified VF22 that will produce 25 psi....Cold air is the real trick along with high compression ratio and running leaner than most would dare too! a lot more to high Kw and torque than just the turbo.

That's a very early sack of power must make it good on the street. Earlier than my mates td04 how high compression and higher than 12.5 afr?