Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Insurance Thread 2.0

Shale

Guest loren
 Swindog said:

Not at all. Just fail to see how it can be registered for road use yet your insurance is as it states above and as a classic. All my dealings with insurances and brokers i've never heard of it. Either you got a mean as deal or someone made a mistake.

As you say thats true for a true classic re the 5000km thing but it has to reach an age limit too.

There's no angle, they don't just do classic cars...

http://www.classiccover.co.nz/

In addition to Classic Cars we offer cover for;

* Performance, Prestige and Continental Cars

* Motorcycles - Classic and Modern

* Dedicated Race Cars

* Rally Cars

* Hot Rods

* Kit Cars

If your car is only used for racing, and not traveling to work or the supermarket, then it's a "dedicated race car"... simple.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loren
 Swindog said:

You could have posted that before. ::)

You could have searched, it's the first hit on google when you search for "classic car insurance" ::)

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned it, but have you tried a broker? They can often wangle some good deals from otherwise bastrd-like insurance companies. I've used Barstow's for the past few vehicles I've owned, and they've been really good.

FWIW, they got Lumley's to insure my WRX (Oddly, the only company that would insure my Vortex many many years ago) for a smidge over $600 p/a, and $300 excess. Though being 28, a clean driving record and not living in Auckland probably helps heaps.

justlooking said:

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned it, but have you tried a broker? They can often wangle some good deals from otherwise bastrd-like insurance companies. I've used Barstow's for the past few vehicles I've owned, and they've been really good.

FWIW, they got Lumley's to insure my WRX (Oddly, the only company that would insure my Vortex many many years ago) for a smidge over $600 p/a, and $300 excess. Though being 28, a clean driving record and not living in Auckland probably helps heaps.

Im not asking for insurance matey, was quizzing Loren on his. Its not the first time ive dealt with Classic Car Insurance but the first time i seen a deal like that. All good though. Ive got insurance plus im not that young so its cheap for the blue bullet.

Guest loren
 Swindog']

[quote name='justlooking said:

/quote]

Im not asking for insurance matey, was quizzing Loren on his. Its not the first time ive dealt with Classic Car Insurance but the first time i seen a deal like that. All good though. Ive got insurance plus im not that young so its cheap for the blue bullet.

BTW, I've asked a few of the local clubsport people who use the same company, how much they pay, and

they were all around the $400/yr mark, so I don't have a special deal or anything.

justlooking said:

28, clean and not in AKL would definitely help ;D

I like the way Clic reduces the excess if the car is garaged.

Also Loren - my question pretty much had WRC-esque setups in mind rather than a normal car with a cage and drool-worthy suspension donked in I guess - the kind where you hit a tonne of buttons etc to start the b@stard instead of turning the key. Make it a bit more confusing for the common crook. Which is why I thought it may be a bit presumptuous...wasn't sure what kind of 'race car' we were talking about :)

Guest loren

Nothing complex about my car.

My experience with car thieves down here is that they work in groups and are amateurs,

so only steal to joy ride and take parts for their personal cars. My car only having one

seat, would make joy riding less fun... I hope.

It spends most of the time between races on stands in an inoperable state which reduces

the risk as well... plus it is in a warehouse in an out of the way place.

...yeah, that would leave it pretty secure ;D Very nice. And one seat...yeah that's not a daily, either. Lol.

My storage place busted an organised ring stripping cars to order - they are there, but they make up little of total thief numbers. Three cars went in, one night on security...an Audi, a Skyline, a WRX.

Two came out... Audi, Skyline :'(

The WRX had been stolen SEVEN minutes prior. They were stealing, stripping, transplanting chassis tags, all sorts of things.

Good news; they are all in prison now, so I am told by storage. Cops were celebrating their butts off after those guys went away (this is...October last year or so?).

However mine was DEFINITELY joyriders, as you said. Two idiots that left giant muddy footprints everywhere >:(

Shale said:

...yeah, that would leave it pretty secure ;D Very nice. And one seat...yeah that's not a daily, either. Lol.

My storage place busted an organised ring stripping cars to order - they are there, but they make up little of total thief numbers. Three cars went in, one night on security...an Audi, a Skyline, a WRX.

Two came out... Audi, Skyline :'(

The WRX had been stolen SEVEN minutes prior. They were stealing, stripping, transplanting chassis tags, all sorts of things.

Good news; they are all in prison now, so I am told by storage. Cops were celebrating their butts off after those guys went away (this is...October last year or so?).

However mine was DEFINITELY joyriders, as you said. Two idiots that left giant muddy footprints everywhere >:(

Are you talking about your NA 2.0L? lol wouldnt have been much of a joy ride

lol, yeah their premiums arent bad I was paying just over $1k a year full cover on my modded rex covered for $25,000. Ive lost my licence 2x and had many offences plus a crash that was my fault (All before i bought my soob). The excess was a little high at $1500 though, but i am still on my restricted. I would highly recomend them over NAC as they qouted my $3,400 premium witht the same excess on my rex with no mods.

iOnic said:

Is expensive insurance a Subaru thing? ??? My Toyota with mods for africa costs less than $500 a year for full cover with State with all mods declared.....and I'm no saint, have written off several cars in the past and lost my license a few times

oh and I'm 22 (I was 20 when I got the car insured though)

Yes it is a subaru thing. Especialy legacys. Its all to do with their pillarless doors which are oh so easy to get into!

Guest loren
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='iOnic said:

Is expensive insurance a Subaru thing? ??? My Toyota with mods for africa costs less than $500 a year for full cover with State with all mods declared.....and I'm no saint, have written off several cars in the past and lost my license a few times

oh and I'm 22 (I was 20 when I got the car insured though)

/quote]

Yes it is a subaru thing. Especialy legacys. Its all to do with their pillarless doors which are oh so easy to get into!

huh? imprezas don't have window frames either... and all cars are easy to break into with the right tools.

wrx_lou']

not too sure if it has cause i didnt read this full thread :-X but has anyone mentioned Insurance Direct?

[quote name='gc8ra said:

clic car insurance quoted me $1068 a year for my v6 sti with all mods with an excess of 1700 WTF.......but in saying that my past driving history is longer then my list of mods on car lol,

Insure Direct who im with now are aware of all mods and driving offences history are pretty good at $888 a year and $900 excess, still wouldn't mind finding some one cheaper but for the time being they're ok.

lost license x2 (first time because of dangerous driving, 2nd time exceeded 100 demerit points)

few speeding tickets, lane changing, careless driving tickets, total of around 7k worth. Oh what it was to be young free and stupid.

Stopped all that crap almost 6 years ago now and clic said they wouldn't of taken it into consideration if offences were over 7years ago, so i'll give them a bell some time next year lol.

I don't think im going to find a better deal than what i have with Insure Direct. :-\

My question is not how you young people get insurance

but how the FEK you afford a 15 - 20k car, plus insurance and then modding?

• General Member

Yeah to be fair a LOT of youg people are working some crazy hours nowadays. Even while at school.

I used to pull about 20 hours a week plus school but I know of people in my business pulling 40 hours + school and there parents have no issue with it. Some of these young guys are just extremly driven to get what they want.

And of course as said some get it handed to them on a silver platter, that I have an issue with.

Attitudes alot these days ah. These young guys who drive and have paid for 20K Evo 5's etc ARE driven. Work hard play hard. Shows in there attitude...maybe a lil chch boy racer scene coming out in them. Work hard to get the toys and then wanna play.

I say well done. I did the same when i was younger to get the car i wanted.