Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Insurance Thread 2.0

Shale

Hm o_O So there is a Ménage à trois amongst enthusiast and high-risk car insurance companies now. Hopefully it'll make everyone else clean up their act, even if the n00b is a division of NAC.

Only time will tell the single most important aspect of insurance, however; what's their wallet like at opening?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keltik

You sure they didnt include the quote as a pdf attached to the email? I almost missed it too and thought i had to call them

Guest keltik

Oh bummer, i just got this in an email "Please call us on 0800 506 506 for more information." then an attachment that i didnt notice at first.

Pretty crappy quote reply system either way.

• General Member

Just got my quote back, they quoted me half what im paying a month with NAC.

Might have to give them a call I think. Does anyone know how it works with leaving NAC? Do you have to sit out the year if you have been with them over a year?

That's one thing people forget quite easily, and often don't compare, which is quite visible in the post above. You have to gauge the level of premium over the level of excess. It's quite common to pay a lower premium for a higher excess.

You can sometimes even ask about a higher excess option, for a lower premium.

Edit: Damn it's not above this, it's at the end of the previous page haha!

loren said:

still amazingly expensive. have you thought about following top gear's advice on getting insurance?

top gear insurance advice? uh oh...

crazy-jono']

yea also found out that if you have had a carrying passengers on restricted fine in the last 5 years your excess goes up by $400 even if your on full licence now

really i know afew people that have had that, all the insurance wanted to know about was speeding fines

Its not about a certain fine etc, its about whats risk class the insurance company class you as a driver.

i had one speeding fine for 63 in a 50 area, i was class 1, then told them about the fines i had got since then and i went up to class two and they added about $400 on, although when the first fine dropped off (after 2 years) i would go back to being class 1

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

Just got my quote back, they quoted me half what im paying a month with NAC.

Might have to give them a call I think. Does anyone know how it works with leaving NAC? Do you have to sit out the year if you have been with them over a year?

yup you get it up the ass if you got a years agreement with them,

when i sold my subi i was 8 months into the agreement which means i payed about $130 a month = 1040 (almost all of the 1200 a year)

i wanted to pull out, i had about $450 credit from the payments, about half of that went into getting out of the agreement and ended up get 230ish back

so that means payed about 800 for 8 months insurance which anit to bad i guess? wait i mite have left out the starting payment? i cant rember.

anyway felt like i got raped lol

• 5 weeks later...

thought i would share this with you guys.

found out somethng interesting about my insurance policy with state last night when i called them to amend a few things, i happened to let slip that the car was undergoing repairs/mods for the next few months and not been driven, and guess what apparently they will not insure it while its not drivable even tho it has a current wof and reg and its locked away under a chubb monitored alarm. needless to say i wasnt very happy bout it as its no different to it sitting in my garage doing nothing.

so i have cancelled my policy, as well as my contents insurance i had with state also, if they wont cover me then they can get fucked and i'll take my business elsewhere.

walked down the road from work to Classic Car Cover today which my boss has his race car with and i have secured restoration/storage full cover with them for the value of $12,000 (as car is financed) which is costing me $147 a year with a small excess of $500. and i have provided pics of all bolt on mods fitted so far. they were very very helpful. only thing is i need to change policy again once the car is driveable under its own power but i can stay with them.

just thought it might interest some of you as i bet there are others that like me assume that while their cars are in peices that they are still insured, but guess what, they're not. i just wish i had known about 2 months ago and i would of cancelled that shit then and saved me some bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch...sounds like you did the right thing.

THREAD BUMP by the way. EPIC THREAD NECROMANCY GOOOOOO!

For anyone wondering about Club Auto, I have just had my first experience with them today.

I was looking to insure my Legacy (1990 GT sh!twagon), and called both Club Auto and Clic.

1) Club Auto. They only do full cover for vehicles valued over $3k. Fair enough. Taking into account the car's mildly 'modified' state - WRX motor, WRX wheels, BG gearbox - and considering said min value of $3k, third party only was going to be $225 a year and full cover was going to be $1040 a year.

Their service is thorough and polite. I'll rate them there. But most insurance companies are like that, yes? They will insure about EVERYONE, being in the same category as their parent NAC and their rival Clic.

2) Clic. Same values discussed, and they would consider Frankie to be fair at $1500 (considering running BF5s are $2k+ on TM at the moment, and broken ones are $1k+. Frank runs, passed WOF no sweat, she just happens to be god-awful UGLY). Full cover was to be $658pa, 3rd party only $360 and the one I chose, 3Rd Party Fire & Theft at $460. This includes Innocent Party Protection and complete glass cover.

IMO that's the best deal so far - it protects the car and driver about as much as you can before full cover itself, and will be a mere $40 a month to keep safe.

There's something for you all to consider when looking at insurance :) I have my Impreza with Clic also, and I think that has helped. ReubenH is also insured as a driver on both cars.

well called state to insure the primera that was fine while we were there thought i'd try and get some windscreen cover for the wrx found out it was only insured for $7000 so i tried to get it bumped up to $8000 due to mods was told it couldn't get cover due to its paint job and wheels.

now with NAC $891 per year full cover for $9000 + $1000 for mags excess is $600

now this was lower than state but my excess is $100 more and its for more money and this value shouldn't go down. The kicker is this is the parent company of state which is all owned by IAG ???

Bizarre eh. Insurance is all so incestuous.

NAC should be good now that they've sorted their sh!t out. They seem to deal with claims well too, just don't communicate much. I've had issues with them...strike 3 on their mistakes, I went to Clic. But like I said, it was during times of issues...now over...they changed banks and absolutely stuffed up my agreement.

just renewed my insurance with NAC, gave them the full list of mods as per my cert papers, all they insure on the car is stereo and mags for $1k a peice, nothing else is covered and if the car is written off etc i will have to convince their "accessories" dept of the price of the mods, which makes it hard when you buy most of your stuff off trade me and have no receipts! still the cheapest insurance for me even being over 25!

I just changed my insurance, still with NAC but now have the Forester insured under 3rd party ($20.34/month) and have my motorbike (hyosung GT250) insured comprehensively for $25/month...Cheap as chips and they've already paid out for an accident once so I wont be moving companies for the foreseeable future

it was so much fun reading the whole thread lol, took me like an hour and half to read it all

i just got insured with AA ten days ago, ill be paying $67.50 a month.

car is 2000 legacy TT, dont have garage and im 22

excess is $1200 cuz i dont have NZ license but once i get one the excess will be reduce to $800

mods listed. wheels and adjustable suspensions ($3000), 3" exhaust and boost control

btw, NAC quote was $98.90 a month

B4 2000 said:

it was so much fun reading the whole thread lol, took me like an hour and half to read it all

i just got insured with AA ten days ago, ill be paying $67.50 a month.

car is 2000 legacy TT, dont have garage and im 22

excess is $1200 cuz i dont have NZ license but once i get one the excess will be reduce to $800

mods listed. wheels and adjustable suspensions ($3000), 3" exhaust and boost control

btw, NAC quote was $98.90 a month

lol last time I rang up AA they told me that they don't insure modified cars to anyone under 25 ???

I got that too. Not that I'd have ANYTHING to do with the AA ever again considering their track record with being helpful has been dire. After being yelled and sworn at for putting a stock STi wing on my car and replacing my rusted stock exhaust with a nicer one that won't, and GOD FORBID repainting it - then being ignored for laying a complaint about the abuse, that several people witnessed - and having to nag nag nag nag nag to get them to bloody put my car on a tow truck for 5km because the wheel bearing broke (not a flat battery or flat tyre, sorry we can't do anything), ain't going near them.

the tow truck thing is more down to the contractor, i got towed out of a drain on the side of the road by the AA for free, the contractor made a big sob story for the aa so they would cover it, something along the lines of " it's a car load of young people coming home from the mountain and they pulled over to swap drivers because the driver was getting sleepy and the new driver went to take off and not being familiar with the car skidded a little on the grass and the car slid into the drain" lol I'll leave the real story up to ur imagination.

so if the contractor is a good dude they can help, if they are an arse they're gonna be an arse.