Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Insurance Thread 2.0

Shale

Oh, the contractor was lovely...a truly awesome guy. Was very happy to do all he could to make our lives easy. The call centre though? Burn 'em. Those are the muppets I dealt with...the silly cow on the other end of the line thought that because it wasn't a flat tyre, I would have to push it home (through the Domain) myself. :P The towey sorted us out well after I made strong demands to the AA.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MercuryFree']

[quote name='B4 2000 said:

it was so much fun reading the whole thread lol, took me like an hour and half to read it all

i just got insured with AA ten days ago, ill be paying $67.50 a month.

car is 2000 legacy TT, dont have garage and im 22

excess is $1200 cuz i dont have NZ license but once i get one the excess will be reduce to $800

mods listed. wheels and adjustable suspensions ($3000), 3" exhaust and boost control

btw, NAC quote was $98.90 a month

/quote]

lol last time I rang up AA they told me that they don't insure modified cars to anyone under 25 ???

i think that it used to be 25 for modified cars but now they changed it to 22 (i was 21 when i bought my car and i went to AA to insure it, they told me come back when you are 22)

Haha I had similar, some kid failed to break into my car but screwed the locks none the less... The problem was, co-incidently my battery in my alarm remote had died. And it's one of those batteries u gotta get from dick-smiths etc. The problem was this happened at midnight on a tuesday night with the wrx stuck in the middle of an empty mall carpark (not so keen to leave it there overnight).

Rung up AA to see if they could help me as all I needed was someone to pop the lock for me.... But due to it being a theft/break in issue I must go through insurance.

The problem with that is I have a $1000 theft excess, so no point in that as I got to pay for it anyways. And the car was fine, just a couple of $25 locks were screwed. But Nooooo they wouldn't get someone out there, and to get a towie etc to come out to pop the lock for me was $125 buck. Screw that lol, so started playing around with the battery. Warming it up the battery, using it against my head to create a stronger signal etc. To which eventually I got under the car doing all this and the alarm finally blipped the doors open thank god haha

I couldn't believe they simply woudln't come out to unlock it. Any advice to anyone out there is this similar situation, call them up lie and say u lock ur keys in the car instead so to save a ****eload of hassle.

workmate bought himself a new subaru in the weekend a 2001 b4 legacy upgrading from the 96 wagon

now when he was looking at cars it was between the b4 and a mazda 323 sport the 2L one when he called the insurance to see what the difference would be the mazda came back more expensive by a whole $41 a month as there higher on the list and are more sought after so the subaru got the win.

i just thought i'd share.

legacy, not impreza is the magical word here.

Altho apparently the imprea is now only the 2nd most stolen car in nz.....will our premiums decrease? Doubt it!!

I had to lol when my insurance for the wrx was like $50 per month, and the (newer, valuable) forester with the same engine basically was like $30, with my younger mrs as the main driver.

When i stated that this doesnt make sense to the insurance guy he just said "i know"

• 4 weeks later...
 Shale said:

You and your bumping again!! :o

This one was helpful at least. Do they allow modifications though? And what's the car insured for?

AA don't like restricted drivers not saying that you have a restricted licence and don't like mods i'm with clic as only ones who will insure me after my stupid mistake involving a tree (wont go into details already had warning from the team)

clic have been good to me so far although my excess is steep as i'm a restricted licence holder yea yea i'm 26 and should have my full by now

and yes they do allow mods will hunt up the mod sheet and pm it too you Amy if you want

most mods like mags etc don't bump up your policy i've added my 16s my exhaust and strut brace and nothings changed but obviously you have to let them know as after all its there call

Chur

T1M0

Shale said:

You and your bumping again!! :o

This one was helpful at least. Do they allow modifications though? And what's the car insured for?

They do allow modifications. How ever I don't think I'll be pushing that bracket much :P

Insured for 2k. Yeah thought the insurance thread should be bumped :P Will be upping it soon to comprehensive.

• 2 months later...

This was such a lol thread, took ages to read. I was with NAC, but they just put prices up - i was on 1270, they put me up to $1435 - and thats not cool with me, so i just changed to clubauto, who offered me 1239 instead, with better excesses and full glass cover. Expensive i know, but as i'm 19 with a legacy TT, its to be expected.

I think the big price differences we are seeing is because some people are on market value policies while others (like myself) have chosen agreed value ones, which cost more. Personally id avoid a market value policy even tho they save u quite a bit (i was offered a couple, for $856 and $819 a year) as i can imagine that even though my car could probably sell for 6-7k today, it's 'market value' according to the insurer would be more like 4-4.5k, as market value is pretty much an average of all the cars out there, most of which are probably crappier. when taking nearly a grand excess into account, this means id probably only receive about 3600 if im lucky. Not exactly great money..

ive had alot of screw around with nac with their automatic payment system, so hopefully clubauto is better to deal with.

You might wanna be sure they have it written that it's agreed value on payout; the big three have all told me that they will only pay market value, NOT what you put down as your agreed value, in the event of epic fail.

Adding an update;

Had a nasty stonechip turn feral in my windscreen. Phoned state - 2 mins later i was all approved for a new windscreen. No fuss, no hassle and bloody good service. I feel much better now about paying my premiums. Especially as the new screen wouldve cost me upwards of $400.

Shale said:

You might wanna be sure they have it written that it's agreed value on payout; the big three have all told me that they will only pay market value, NOT what you put down as your agreed value, in the event of epic fail.

I specifically asked the guy when I rang up state for my previous car and he said that they do do 'agreed value' but if you're obviously trying to rip them off ($20,000 for a $4,000 corolla kind of thing) they'll look into it.

Shale said:

The quote i got says it is 'comprehensive cover', and im sure it is agreed value, especiially in that price range. i have to ring them to tell them my deposit went in tho so ill double check then.

Yeah definitely do that, because I asked the same thing in several different ways to NAC, Clic and Club Auto and got the same answer. Insure it for ____, don't necessarily get ______.

That said, once I'm 'finished' with the dang Impreza I'll be getting it professionally valued so I can accurately work from there...

Shale said:

You just saved me 400bucks a year.. I decided to ask them again if it was agreed value just to be sure... and it wasn't at all! So i promptly canceled - was really misleading, when i got a quote, the guy on the phone told me he would try and set up a deal which would beat what NAC were offering, which lead me to believe the insurance was the same type.. totally not fair. Now i just have to get my deposit back. :/

Yerp - the big three don't do agreed value. Despite your age you may have a bit of luck with State...

Alternatively get your car valued. If you supply the insurance company with a value from a proper valuer, IIRC they will abide by it.

And +1 to Swin, item not as described so deposit back kthx.

AA has agreed value on payout.

I went to the AA and sorted out insurance on my Legacy. Only has 3rd party at the moment. For me to get it fully insured for only 3k I would have to get a $400 dollar alarm fitted and then I would have a excess of 1100.

If I went and got full cover with No alarm fitted I would have to pay 1500 excess.

dammed if you do dammed if you dont ::)

Ive found out Vero is only does market value