Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

who's that knocking...

smokn4

so i finally got my car up an running yesterday took it to get exhaust welded up gassed her up and she seemed to be running sweet as....

never thrashed her went easy when i was driving as she been parked up awhile

was running low on gas so i parked it up till this morning.....

anyway chucked in some 98 and started her up and F#@ ME sideways.....

someones knocking on the door!!!!

can some one confirm what this is....i think i already know what the answer is 8) 8) 8)

not that i am any engine expert but i thought a blown big end was more of a slower knock, knock knock.. at idle, that one in the vid sort of sounds real fast like some thing rotating and hitting something... thats my fiddy. But yea either way... something sounds crook

i didnt think it would be my big end but since,

the car has been sitting for a year and a half and hadnt had a oil change i thought maybe its that...

but i have never heard this sound nor the sound of a big end on anyone elses going im not too sure what it is..

sound seems to be coming to be coming from the block around the crank ???

im still going thru you tube to try find something similar

went out and started it again and now im thinking it could be something other than the BeB.....

when the cars running you can feel a tapping on the clutch pedal....

when i say tapping i mean it feels like theres some one tapping it from the other side....

and if i give it some gas the noise and the tapping feeling on the clutch pedal increases.....

has anyone come across this before?? is that what happens when the BeB goes??

im starting to think that maybe a tool or nut/bolt may have fallen down the hole where you can see the fly wheel???

but still unsure ??? ???

i would be looking at the scenario , or ya havent had something go into the intake somehow and get sucked into a cylinder?? perhaps a broken valve spring or something really need to narrow down the area of the engine and have a good look strip down . try not to start it unless ya have to.

seems strange that it was fine one day then boom not the next, like something has been sitting somewhere then fallen into the wrong place when ya turned it of, like ya say somthing sitting around that flywheel hole then fell in!!

Stoffa said:

what heads are on it? its not the hydraulic lifters is it? no oil getting to them perhaps?

sounds like a fricken diesel

still has factory heads which would be whatever came out on the v1 gf8's....

and yea hard sounds like a diesel tractor unfortunatly

CUDDAS said:

yep i was thinking the same, sounded like dry heads &/or lots of sticking lifters

I like the wastegate though 8)

if this is the case whats the best way to resolve/fix this ???

and yea i like that wastegate too...

seems a waste tho as its brand new and now another issue comes up ::)

hasnt even had any boost in it.....yet

Ooooh wow.. sounds just like the last big end I heard :(

i bet that vid is cold starting it right?? so it will be on a high cold start idle. put a very large screw driver against the center of the block and put your ear up to it.

repeat in different places around the motor and confirm where it coming from

rockr said:

seems strange that it was fine one day then boom not the next, like something has been sitting somewhere then fallen into the wrong place when ya turned it of, like ya say somthing sitting around that flywheel hole then fell in!!

had a mate thats sold a gsr ran sweet stock boost 200,000km on the clock oil was sweet had 3 oil changes after he bought it. had it 3 months sold it next day the new owner ran a bearing and welded it to crank so it does happen but f*ck knows how. use screwdriver as funky says its mechanics stethoscope helps pinpoint it.

sounds just like my libero beb tho...

PhatRS said:

What about that little plastic cover going down into the bell housing and flapping about on the flywheel?

Or.....is there oil in it?

Could be this, had this happen to mine when I changed the clutch. Sounded awful, I had somehow jammed part of the cover.

Drunkenmonkey said:

ever had the flywheel off?? Does it quieter down with the clutch in?

na the box hasnt been splitt from the motor in over 2 years.........

when the clutch is in i can feel it, pushing/tapping against it.

im starting to think that maybe a bolt or tool or something has fallen thru the hole at the top of the gbox housing

and is jammed somehow at the bottom and the flywheel is touching it ??? ???

Stoffa said:

MBL8 will fix sticky lifters its not cheap though. bnt sell it

Don't know how much BNT sells it for but I priced it at repco couple days ago and they told me it was $75 for the bottle (250ml)

Anyway I'll be getting from their website, it's way cheaper, almost half the price $41.50

http://wilkinson.promastore.co.nz/Store/CarPerformance.aspx