Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Got Pink Stickered : Info Gathering

Ninja8)

Hi all!!

To cut the story short. I was pulled over by an officer this evening outside the local thursday night pub. Reason for it was: " Vehicle being too low" i had 4 people in the car including me.

Now car is sitting on adjustables WITH A CERT!! So up went the bonnet. After a glimpse at the cert the officer was satisfied with the vehicle being certed for it adjustables and vehicle height within its certification specifications. AND to be a "prawn" he decided to sneak down under the car on the drivers exhaust manifold to look for an external wastegate which he got bummed out on.

So what comes next?!! My car is sitting on 17" rims and he TOLD me (officer knew his cars) : " subarus came factory with 16" rims" and i replied yes.

Leading back to my cert plate stating that my rims and tyres are " factory equipped" meaning they should still have 16" rims on them therefore my vehicle is illegal!

And now i got myself a pink sticker. Now my question for all the pros out there is: Is this true?!! Im going to read through the LVVTA documents AND the warrent of fitness folder at work tomorrow to see if this is true.

A close mate says that you are alloweed to go within 5% of a factory cars wheel diameter. And the officer reckons that it is ok for a normal vehicle (no cert no adjusties etc) to have bigger rims and not be certed!

That is TOTALLY UNFAIR!

What are you guys thoughts? Will update tomorrow after i have a good read!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a load of cr*p to me...

Plus not all subarus come on 16s do they? so what would be the case if you had fitted 17 inch sti wheels for example?

Probably an unfortunate case of right place, right time, wrong cop...

subi4snow said:

Plus not all subarus come on 16s do they? so what would be the case if you had fitted 17 inch sti wheels for example?

Yeah i know!! i told him how many freaking cars do you see on the road that have aftermarket rims! and just because i have a cert and it doesnt state that i have 17" rims that makes me illegal!

All i want is some good proof to avoid me having to go through all the process of re check of cert (more $) and a freaking $100 WOF from VTNZ to get the cert off and my time and effort!

Ninja 8)']

[quote name='subi4snow said:

/quote]

Yeah i know!! i told him how many freaking cars do you see on the road that have aftermarket rims! and just because i have a cert and it doesnt state that i have 17" rims that makes me illegal!

All i want is some good proof to avoid me having to go through all the process of re check of cert (more $) and a freaking $100 WOF from VTNZ to get the cert off and my time and effort!

If your cert says 16s, you have to stick with 16s. If it doesn't specify then you're in the clear. I'm sure there's more to the story than this, most cops aren't like this but unfortunately I do know at least one who genuinely is.

There will be a proceedure to contest this, but it will not be free, and you should take legal advice first to ensure you're not chasing rainbows :)

The cert plate over rules everything, if its says you have OE wheels and they're not your cert is voided.

If you had 17x7's listed on the cert and you had 17x8's you'd still get stickered, not that most cops would measure the width of the wheel.

I have been told you can actually have 2 sets of wheels listed on a plate now, although I haven't confirmed with my cert guy.

FYI if you take it back to the people who did hte original cert you'll get a cheaper price on a re-cert

I love how so often the people who do things legitimatly are the ones that get screwed over by BS.

On a side note I would be pretty pissed if I got a fine for wheel size, as 2 of my cars that have been certed have the wrong size printed on the plate (both half an inch thinner then what they are), AND my Galant has inline 4 on the plate (when it's a V6) ::)

Check the regulations dude.. If it's there you will find it.

If you do take it to the station and get them to remove the pinky..

This is the reason back in the palmy square days i used to carry a copy of the current regs in my glovebox...

only the bug eyes to current gets 17" all GC8/GF8 are 16s

this also happened to my mate on his 180 sylvia he also got done for having 18s where his cert plates says 17s. i think this registration is kinda BS, but it is stated in there i remember reading it

Drunkenmonkey said:

Is this on your v7? Doesn't that come with 17s?? Or you changed cars again lol

+1

if u have the v7sti they come standard with 17s

I wouldnt worry. Id write in BUT that will take awhile.

The thing is, if you pay the fine youve admitted liability so catch 22.

Id contest it. AND id contest the fact he gave you a pinky rather than a green sticker which means the vehicle is still drivable but unsafe. A pink sticker is for totally illegal modifications and the vehicle is unsafe to drive from that point on.

A green sticker is for boy racer mods and pink sticker is for an unsafe vehicle. You can still be permitted to drive somewhere on both.

What sort of car is it to save all the guessing about rims

Chuck some OE rims back on it and take it back to VTNZ and plead innocence ;-)

funkytown']

he sold his v7 wagon a while back and has a GC or GF now.

this.

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

So now back up the ladder again and im back to a GF8 but WHITE!! Been married to her husband the BEB and i am just about to divorce them ;)

img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg812/scaled.php?server=812&filename=img0310kq.jpg&res=medium[/img]

scaled.php?server=28&filename=img0317dq.

scaled.php?server=839&filename=img0316p.

If your cert plate says 'OE Fitment' and you have Advantis, you're probably gonna be SOL. I'd still suggest you write in, describing what happened and the way the officer interacted with you. I'm not normally in support of this sort of thing but unless you were being a complete knob-jockey towards the cop (or on the road, in that case just shut up and pay the fine) I'd have to say it was probably unjustified.

It always goes by what the cert plate says. The cert plate should have the size of the wheels on the plate, to avoid any confusion. He is within his rights to fail something that's incorrect as per the plate, but he's a bit wanky for doing so, on such a technicality

Yeah had a talk to the guys at work and apparently you are allowed to change the circumference or something by no more then 5% of factory equipment.

Im going to ring up a cert guy when im back at work and ask him a few questions. As for recerting with the same guy...vehicle came from the south island so thats not happening anytime soon :o

The vehicle is a GF8 and yes factory wheels are 16s. I still find it totally bullsh!t though. And no i wasnt doing anything stupid. Reason for him pulling me up was vehicle "looked" too low from the rear! Even breath tested me and i passed with flying colours ;D

In my opinion this is a grey patch!! I think the officer prob didnt get any happy time with his partner :o

You need to cert when:

"Wheel and tyre changes (non-OEM items), e.g. wheels wider than the bodywork, or with spacers or a different offset to the OEM design. Tyres with more than 5% greater rolling circumference than the OEM tyres."

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/index.html

The fact that you have a cert for other items shouldnt impact on other legal changes that dont require a cert.

Obviously you cant put lower profile tyre / wheel combos that would impact on the existing cert causing the car to be lower to the ground. The measurement however is from the wheel center to the guard (which shouldnt change)

Ninja 8)']

Yeah had a talk to the guys at work and apparently you are allowed to change the circumference or something by no more then 5% of factory equipment.

Im going to ring up a cert guy when im back at work and ask him a few questions. As for recerting with the same guy...vehicle came from the south island so thats not happening anytime soon :o

The vehicle is a GF8 and yes factory wheels are 16s. I still find it totally bullsh!t though. And no i wasnt doing anything stupid. Reason for him pulling me up was vehicle "looked" too low from the rear! Even breath tested me and i passed with flying colours ;D

In my opinion this is a grey patch!! I think the officer prob didnt get any happy time with his partner :o

The circumference deal is with regards to tyres. Wheel diameter is unregulated normally. However, if you have a wheel size marked on your cert plate (And you will) you have to stick to it or get your cert adjusted. They are considering reviewing this because it's a nuisance. However, at this time, while the cop might have been being unprofessional he is within the scope of his job.

[quote name='Carbon said:

You need to cert when:

"Wheel and tyre changes (non-OEM items), e.g. wheels wider than the bodywork, or with spacers or a different offset to the OEM design. Tyres with more than 5% greater rolling circumference than the OEM tyres."

url]http://www.lvvta.org.nz/index.html[/url]

The fact that you have a cert for other items shouldnt impact on other legal changes that dont require a cert.

Obviously you cant put lower profile tyre / wheel combos that would impact on the existing cert causing the car to be lower to the ground. The measurement however is from the wheel center to the guard (which shouldnt change)

Incorrect. If any item marked on your cert plate has been modified since certification to differ from that plate, you must update your cert. If you had read the thresholds and legislation surrounding certification you would know this.

Wiretap said:

Incorrect. If any item marked on your cert plate has been modified since certification to differ from that plate, you must update your cert. If you had read the thresholds and legislation surrounding certification you would know this.

Here you go - Ill save you the trouble of apologizing. I did read it.

Here is the clause from the LVV code. Perhaps I missed something?

2.3(3) A modified vehicle is not required to be LVV certified, or further certified, in order to

be operated on the road, if:

(a) the modifications could not affect continued compliance with any applicable

safety‐related legal requirements prescribed by New Zealand land transport

legislation of any components or systems within the vehicle when

manufactured or previously modified; or

(b) the modifications are listed within the LVVTA LVV Modification Threshold

Schedule; or

© the modified vehicle is authorised by an LVV Authority Card, for a specific

purpose listed in Annex 5, and the owner can present such authorisation that

approves each modification that is subject to an applicable safety‐related

legal requirement prescribed by New Zealand land transport legislation, in

the form of a valid LVV Authority Card held in the name of that owner.

If the wheels do fit the modification threshold then it doesnt need to be recerted.

Carbon']

[quote name='Wiretap said:

/quote]

Here you go - Ill save you the trouble of apologizing. I did read it.

Here is the clause from the LVV code. Perhaps I missed something?

2.3(3) A modified vehicle is not required to be LVV certified, or further certified, in order to

be operated on the road, if:

(a) the modifications could not affect continued compliance with any applicable

safety‐related legal requirements prescribed by New Zealand land transport

legislation of any components or systems within the vehicle when

manufactured or previously modified; or

(b) the modifications are listed within the LVVTA LVV Modification Threshold

Schedule; or

© the modified vehicle is authorised by an LVV Authority Card, for a specific

purpose listed in Annex 5, and the owner can present such authorisation that

approves each modification that is subject to an applicable safety‐related

legal requirement prescribed by New Zealand land transport legislation, in

the form of a valid LVV Authority Card held in the name of that owner.

If the wheels do fit the modification threshold then it doesnt need to be recerted.

You are absolutely correct, provided the vehicle does not already have a certification. I have been unable to find the document I originally got this information from in my quick search now.

The LVV Modification Thresholds, however, are for vehicles that do not yet have a certification. If the item is stipulated to never require a certification it will not be on your plate. If it is on the certification plate, this is, essentially law. If your vehicle differs in any way from that listed on the certification plate, the certification becomes invalid.

It is unfortunate that they chose to list rim size on the plate as I don't believe it is going to be relevant in the vast majority of cases. However, I don't make the law and unfortunately I can't change that.