• Raised $0.00

Got Pink Stickered : Info Gathering

Ninja8)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no facts here but different size wheels would effect the handling and shock set up so you can see why if it was specified it couldnt be changed? maybe :)

then again i was under the impression if you had a cert for adjusties you could put in standard struts at any time as it reverts to factory spec. like putting a ej18 in to a wrx it doesnt need a cert as its a downgrade so everything is above spec handling wise.

sounds like im saying its black and white at the same time... :D

Carbon said:

"A modified vehicle is not required to be LVV certified, or further certified,"

I take this to read that if the vehicle has got a cert it doesnt need a recert for anything under the threshhold

Interesting. While in conflict with existing information I would tend to agree with this, given it is the official document.

For those wanting reference: http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/lvv_code/LVV_code.pdf page 10, heading of clause 2.3(3)

In that case, write in and have fun, looks like the cop didn't know what he was doing.

I'd also recommend carrying a copy of the current LVV Threshold Schedule and LVV Code around with you, however be aware that if you wave this in someone's face you best have nothing not-quite-legit because it will strengthen their resolve to find it :P

My only concern are a couple of items from the LVV Threshold Schedule (http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf)

- are a known and reputable brand non-OE item; and

- would be considered an appropriate fitment for the vehicle type by the wheel manufacturer

These are both EXTREMELY vague and subjective and while brands like Rays, Enkei etc would definitely be seen by the courts as 'reputable brands', Something like 'Advanti' being a smaller brand may have that called into question.

Covered in the the LVVTA FAQ (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/faq.html):

Can I modify a vehicle which already has already been LVV Certified?

Yes, but the vehicle will need to be re-inspected by anLVV Certifierwho will issue a new LVV plate covering all the car's modifications. Modifications that fall within the Certification Thresholds do not need re-certification.

Which seems to tell me that the cop can go fornicate himself. Sue for damages.

BD5_RS said:

Covered in the the LVVTA FAQ (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/faq.html):

Yes, but the vehicle will need to be re-inspected by an LVV Certifier who will issue a new LVV plate covering all the car's modifications. Modifications that fall within the Certification Thresholds do not need re-certification.

Lololol... New Zealand doesn't have damages in the same way the US does. Damages are something he won't be getting (especially since he hasn't actually incurred any quantifiable direct loss as a result of this) Given I'm not a law student or lawyer I can't explain it terribly well but basically... yeah :P

Wiretap']

[quote name='BD5_RS said:

Covered in the the LVVTA FAQ (url]http://www.lvvta.org.nz/faq.html[/url]):

Yes, but the vehicle will need to be re-inspected by an LVV Certifier who will issue a new LVV plate covering all the car's modifications. Modifications that fall within the Certification Thresholds do not need re-certification.

Lololol... New Zealand doesn't have damages in the same way the US does. Damages are something he won't be getting (especially since he hasn't actually incurred any quantifiable direct loss as a result of this) Given I'm not a law student or lawyer I can't explain it terribly well but basically... yeah :P

Yeah I know... ;D But he has suffered financial loss due to an error made and there are judges who enjoy reining in over zealous enforcement. It's worthy of the Police Complaints Authority at least. I would get the LVVTA to put something in writing regarding these circumstances first though.

BD5_RS']

[quote name='BD5_RS said:

Covered in the the LVVTA FAQ (url]http://www.lvvta.org.nz/faq.html[/url]):

Yeah I know... ;D But he has suffered financial loss due to an error made and there are judges who enjoy reining in over zealous enforcement. It's worthy of the Police Complaints Authority at least. I would get the LVVTA to put something in writing regarding these circumstances first though.

It is in writing in the above two documents, they will hold up in court better than any hand written letter (Which he would be unlikely to get).

hate-evoz said:

WASTE OF MONEY... $100 for wof recheck from VTNZ, then u gotta fix whatever the dudes find thats wrong, and trust me, VTNZ are picky as!!! i had a 4cm rip in the drivers seat with a little bit of foam stickin out LOL and they said I had to fix that, sew it up then I can get the wof. WTF hahahahah,

All could have been avoided if that cop just left you/us alone.

Please, stop now before you make yourself look like more of a fool. VTNZ are not 'picky as', in fact I've found some small stations to be much worse (apparently my wing was loose and my exhaust too loud, wing was stock, held on so well I couldn't get it off when I needed to, exhaust was 92dB. The VTNZ up the road, no issues).

Wiretap said:

It is in writing in the above two documents, they will hold up in court better than any hand written letter (Which he would be unlikely to get).

If the term "further certification" read "re-certification" then yes, but it is slightly ambiguous as it is currently worded. What I'm getting at is that I wouldn't be relying on a FAQ taken from the website as your only clarification of a standard that has been through legal review etc.

BD5_RS']

[quote name='Wiretap said:

/quote]

If the term "further certification" read "re-certification" then yes, but it is slightly ambiguous as it is currently worded. What I'm getting at is that I wouldn't be relying on a FAQ taken from the website as your only clarification of a standard that has been through legal review etc.

You didn't actually read the documents linked did you? They're not FAQs, they are the documents that have been through legal review you've mentioned :)

Wiretap']

/quote]

You didn't actually read the documents linked did you? They're not FAQs, they are the documents that have been through legal review you've mentioned :)

Yes I did, and the standard says: "A modified vehicle is not required to be LVV certified, or further certified". Did you write the standard? Can you state, with absolute certainty, that "further certification" was intended to mean re certification through the same process? 'Cos I sure as hell can't. Hence I'd get LVVTA to clarify it first.

BD5_RS']

/quote]

Yes I did, and the standard says: "A modified vehicle is not required to be LVV certified, or further certified". Did you write the standard? Can you state, with absolute certainty, that "further certification" was intended to mean re certification through the same process? 'Cos I sure as hell can't. Hence I'd get LVVTA to clarify it first.

It may seem ambiguous to you, however to a lawyer/court words such as 'further' have very distinct, defined meanings with no ambiguity.

hate-evoz said:

WASTE OF MONEY... $100 for wof recheck from VTNZ, then u gotta fix whatever the dudes find thats wrong, and trust me, VTNZ are picky as!!! i had a 4cm rip in the drivers seat with a little bit of foam stickin out LOL and they said I had to fix that, sew it up then I can get the wof. WTF hahahahah,

Its not that, its that VTNZ are generally known for sticking to the guidelines and doing everything by the book. So when things that aren't up to scratch come along that another mechanic may choose to ignore or miss completely they generally pick them up.

Remember all they do is check vehicles, hence they know what they are looking for.

they dont always know what they're looking for.....I know a guy who took his 2 year old HSV to them for a Wof and they failed him because his driveshaft coupling (big rubber ring that both halves of the shaft bolt to) was missing its dust covers.

He ended up having to borrow a brand new one from a parts shop and taking it to show them they dont have dust covers and never had them to start with.

Rang up a certifier today and he says that the officer should not have been able to do me.

As long as my cert says OEM wheels and tyres, i am allowed to have bigger rims as long as the circumference of the tyre does not exceed 5% of OEM circumference.

HOWEVER he did say that for example: If ones car is CERTED for 17" and it had 18" it is able to be pink stickered.

So i will be writing in to them and ringing VTNZ to see if i am able to get the pink sticker off straight away after i do my measurements and get the proof.

hate-evoz']

[quote name='hate-evoz said:

/quote]

Its not that, its that VTNZ are generally known for sticking to the guidelines and doing everything by the book. So when things that aren't up to scratch come along that another mechanic may choose to ignore or miss completely they generally pick them up.

Remember all they do is check vehicles, hence they know what they are looking for.

Nah... oobviously you havent delt with VTNZ before because I personally know from experience that there picky... Im not here to argue or prove a point because I dont care but just sayin FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT VTNZ are a bunch of tools...

Ive been there with rooted tyres (cracks on side walls on all 4 tyres and the've passed me where as Ive been in another car with a 4cm rip in the fabric on the seat and they didnt pass me.

I go to VTNZ up here In Auckland where in my experience they have made alot of stuff ups

Most probrably the VTNZ you got to from where ever you are are more lenient.

Thats my opinion ,

Tree, Wrong, Barking, Up.

Which VTNZ are we talking about? I've worked with Kingsland, Parnell, Glen Innes, Rosedale and Sylvia Park. All have had satisfactory results aside from the odd issue with understanding the laws around headlights and other lighting.

hate-evoz']

[quote name='hate-evoz said:

/quote]

Nah... oobviously you havent delt with VTNZ before because I personally know from experience that there picky... Im not here to argue or prove a point because I dont care but just sayin FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT VTNZ are a bunch of tools...

Ive been there with rooted tyres (cracks on side walls on all 4 tyres and the've passed me where as Ive been in another car with a 4cm rip in the fabric on the seat and they didnt pass me.

I go to VTNZ up here In Auckland where in my experience they have made alot of stuff ups

Most probrably the VTNZ you got to from where ever you are are more lenient.

Thats my opinion ,

Actually, to back that up.

Blkpnthrs legacy last weekend failed a wof at VTNZ for being too loud and an exhaust leak. Funnily enough he wouldnt explain to B where the leak was so he bought it to my place. We put a factory unit back on and i inspected the exhaust, no leak.

Said take it back tomorrow and try again, sure enough not EVEN a mention of the leak. They just looked at the muffler and went, sweet.

WTF.

I have been warned about the rip in the driver seat of mine too from VTNZ. I said its not a compliant item that the fabric be in order so shouldnt be an issue. Then he failed me for not having the car seat strap clipped on. So i clipped it on in front of him and he said i needed to go to the back of the line and wait for a recheck.

Homos.

• General Member

Not a lot of VTNZ Faith from me either... Unless I go there for convenience in my daily and find someone who knows what there talking about I try to avoid them and rather stick to my local (non dodgy) mechanic.

Slightly OT question but will a cert guy omit anything to do with your rims/tyres if you ask and are running factory options? Or is it a must fill section for them. Also as I am running 17x8 that will be listed on my cert?

Come down to the guy you get at vtnz... I had one guy tell me that cables are against the virm for holding break hoses up, I whipped out my phone and proved him wrong, his supervisor apologised to me and said he's normally a counter bit*h and was filling in, I lol'd a lot

Drunkenmonkey said:

Come down to the guy you get at vtnz... I had one guy tell me that cables are against the virm for holding break hoses up, I whipped out my phone and proved him wrong, his supervisor apologised to me and said he's normally a counter bit*h and was filling in,[glow=red,2,300] I lol'd a lot[/g]

i like this bit a lot

• Admin
 MercuryFree said:

I'm about to hit up VTNZ Thorndon for third WOF in a row from them, haven't been dicks yet.

Wouldn't go back to VTNZ Porirua though.

In summary, YMMV

Thorndon failed my GFs car for rear brake balance.

So we took it away, stripped down the rear drums, checked it all, put it back together, readjusted everything, took it back to VTNZ.

Guy said it was worse??

Took it to another garage, passed first pop.