Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

is there a way to run limp mode deliberately ?

slystiguy

Random thing to ask I know. But I need to get car repaired and would really like peace of mind that even if they try they can't thrash it. Considering the past history with mechanics i've had and my work hours/location i'm limited to who I can choose to do the work otherwise I would take it to RDL

ideas please

Yea that was my original thought but even 8 psi is quite abit of power(enough to launch).Last time I took it for repairs to an unknown mechanic(autotech hazleden rd) they ended up snapping an axle among LOTS of other things. I never used to be so skeptical haha. Maybe I should just consider taking a half day to ensure it goes to a good mechanic.... Or maybe I should purchase tools and do it myself hmmmmmm decisions

• General Member

Um... If I sent my car to a mechanic with a wastegate line unplugged and they didn't pick up on it I would be slightly disappointed. And if there gonna thrash it removing a WG line wont stop them.

That said doesn't someone on here work for RDL? Seems every time there name comes up its associated with good work.

Possibly make me look bad saying this....... but uppipe is currently held in by 1 bolt after a temp fix while I waited to get gasket in and then an unfortunate encounter with a freshly built speed bump that wasn't sign posted down my road... hehe. Its on my todo list honestly

• General Member
 D-Style said:

Just dont take it to dodgey workshops...

still best answer

if I ran a worksop and a customer bought in a car for a [wiper change] and it didnt run right I' d be looking into why it wasnt and recommending to the owner repair/part neeeded (spending more time and possibly charging you for the time spent)

Johnnynz said:

That said doesn't someone on here work for RDL? Seems every time there name comes up its associated with good work.

Nope, I don't work there but I pretty much live there after hours ;D

If you read the original post he's saying that if RDL wasn't out on the outskirts of town he'd take it there. Its the one drawback of their location.

p.s. For the record the only cars Tony thrashes are his Mini rally car, the RDL Fiesta rally car and my Legacy when its going :) Also one particular customers car who pretty much forces everyone to take his toy for a spin around the carpark then stands there egging you on to drive it harder.

If you're in town, why not take it to Stubaru? He does seem to like standard cars but has a good reputation. I'm sure there'd be other places around that part of town that aren't dodgy.

I must +1 taking it to a reputable workshop,sometimes CHEAP is not best( actually all the time) I dont do out work BUT on the odd occasion that i work on other peoples cars/trucks/buses I would never ever even consider driving it aggressively, We also sometimes store cars at work and the same thing applies ( and there has been some nice cars in my workshop)

Holy jebus man, if i took a car to get something fixed and they broke an axle I'd be getting the MTA onto it if nothing else

What needs fixing? There's a grillion *good* mechanics around - just you sometimes could take it to the best workshop for miles and their work experience parts getting monkey gives it a bootful when nobody can see him.

I remember years back I got mag & chuuurbro to put some springs in an old VR4 - got a text from a workmate he busted me racing up moorhouse - nope, nope I'm currently having lunch in town waiting for my car to get finished... meet me at M&T please

I'm guessing somebody got at minimum a formal warning and I got free sh!t haha

JoKer']

[quote name='D-Style said:

/quote]

still best answer

if I ran a worksop and a customer bought in a car for a [wiper change] and it didnt run right I' d be looking into why it wasnt and recommending to the owner repair/part neeeded (spending more time and possibly charging you for the time spent)

and then I wouldn't be paying you for finding out why my car doesn't run right because I never asked you to in the first place, i'd pay for the wiper change and that's that :P

• General Member

see you in court! / never in my workshop again either

I think you'll find more customers whinge (and even more) about things the garage "should have found" than things they noticed but didn't do anything about

"but why didnt you put air in the tires/top up the brake fluid"

If you took some one to court for doing something on their car they never asked you to do you wouldn't have a hope in hell on winning :D but yes if it was my garage and I noticed something wrong with the car i'd ring the customer and let them know and ask if they wanted me to fix the issues . . .

cruiser40']

[quote name='D-Style said:

/quote]

still best answer

and then I wouldn't be paying you for finding out why my car doesn't run right because I never asked you to in the first place, i'd pay for the wiper change and that's that :P

It makes perfect sense for a Mechanic to have a look as to why its not running right, after changing the wipers. Then he can offer a more extended service to you in the hope of making more money and fixing the issues. Its called upselling, McDonalds do it every time you ask for a meal, they check to see if they can charge you more money to give you a little more of something that you may need.

my argument madmike is that joker would try and charge me money for something that I didn't want done in the first place I just wanted my wipers changed. but i'll say it again if it was my garage I would consult the customer first and tell them the car isn't running right, I wouldn't go ahead and investigate as to why it why its running poorly and then when the customer comes hit them with the extra fee for something they didn't ask for which is what joker is implying he would be doing. understand?

• General Member

I could still see a mechanic looking into it and not calling you to ask before at least some investigating (which the may or may not charge for).

Unless of course the mechanic knows you and knows your cars always run like shit or are half finished... Like mine :(