Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2001 e tune- not smooth when cold

ANTZB4

Just got my 01 wagon ;D

But when car is cold it\'s very rough accelrating isnt smooth at all is quite jerky etc

Once warm though it\'s better it\'s smooth but power dosnt seem to come on very hard

Almost like its holding back?

Was thinking maybe it\'s the knock sensor? After reading on here abit it seems the etunes don\'t run to good on 95? car is stock has no mods at all

start with getting it on 98. :)..But yes have to say...possibly it is knock sensor. However do get it scanned for other faults first :-\. could be ECU temp sensor or ICU/ICV full of crud. incorrect spark plugs is another cause of cold run issues ;)

if it has done over 150,000 km or ever suffered overheat...more than likly is knock sensor.

just dont jump to this conclusion!

easy as to replace knock sensor..one bolt and one electrical connector. although you probably will have to remove the intercooler to get at the connector....re mount new one on the startermotor bell housing area. There is a threaded hole in this area that is accessable. Its not easy to fit back in the original spot. Infact just leave the old one where it is :)

Should take about half an hour

It\'s only when it\'s cold you really notice it once it\'s warm it\'s ok still not perfect

And when I test drove car it was warm plus owner went with me so couldn\'t really open it up..

It does get up and go but like I said its like it\'s holding back somewhat.

First thing will be a tank of 98

• 2 weeks later...

Mine have all been lumpy when cold until I gave them a proper once-over - plugs, filters, AFM clean, ran the engine foamy sh!z run through etc, went over any possible vacuum leaks, can\'t pick a change when cold anymore.

It\'s not meant to be like that - it\'s things deteriorating with age, anything is fix-able.

• Admin

just found this on the subaru site, they say not to use ethanol on any jap imports and basically not on any nz new turbo models as the ethanol eats stuff you don\'t want it to..

Ethanol suitability for Subarus

Most Subarus purchased new in New Zealand since 1990 are capable of running on the ethanol blended fuel now being introduced to the local market.

However any Japanese domestic specification models which have been imported here second hand (i.e.). second hand Japanese imports - should not be run on the ethanol blended fuel.

These cars are only suitable for 3 percent blended fuels. The fuel being sold in New Zealand has a 10 percent ethanol blend.

The 10 percent ethanol blended fuel could cause damage to the fuel line, fuel injector sealing, fuel pump or fuel regulator of these second hand Japanese imports. The fumes from the blended fuel after combustion can also have a harmful effect on the catalytic converter, the exhaust gas regulator and the muffler.

Those Subarus which can use the 10 percent ethanol blended fuel have a 17 digit VIN number beginning with either JF1 or JF2. The VIN number can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger’s side of the car or in the engine bay.

The second hand Japanese imports which should not use the ethanol blended fuel have VIN numbers starting with 7A8.

A small number of models sold new in New Zealand cannot use the 10 percent blended fuel. They are.-

Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen from 1990 onwards; the Impreza STI from 1997 onwards and the Forester STI. They do not have JF1 or JF2 VIN numbers.

Owners who are not sure if they can use the ethanol-blended fuel in their car should consult their nearest Subaru Authorised Dealer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys - Have a 2001 RSK B4 - same issue with cold start in the morning - Until coolant temp gets to around 60 degrees, it stumbles when you accelerate. Only recently been getting an intermittent CEL so going to change knock sensor - anyone had any issues pulling off the intercooler? The two turbo setup seems to have a s#*%load of hoses/connections going everywhere!

Will see if new knock sensor doesnt fix it, next will be coolant sensor...

B4_685 said:

Hey guys - Have a 2001 RSK B4 - same issue with cold start in the morning - Until coolant temp gets to around 60 degrees, it stumbles when you accelerate. Only recently been getting an intermittent CEL so going to change knock sensor - anyone had any issues pulling off the intercooler? The two turbo setup seems to have a s#*%load of hoses/connections going everywhere!

Will see if new knock sensor doesnt fix it, next will be coolant sensor...

I\'d suggest you go into Stubaru and ask if he can pull any codes for you before you start replacing things randomly. Only happening when cold does suggest temp sensor though.