Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre Fitment

Heylin

GorGasmSpecB']

Lol wat 235 is far too wide for the factory rims, even 225 looks a bit off.

Anyway, if you care about performance at all you won\'t get those Achilles ATRs. They have rubbish levels of grip.

Achilles is an apt name TBH. Also 400 treadwear rating, might be good in 45 degree temperature, definitely not good for NZ.

Better off picking up a cheap hankook or kumho or something.

in no way am I having a go at you.

LOLS @ reference of treadwear rating... Its an american thing, so here how it works as it is meaningless to compare 1 tyre from 1 brand vs another brand, its not even useful for comparing tyres within the same brand...

A tyre with a treadwear rating of 400 in 1 brand is likely to last 4 times longer than a tyre from that same brand rated at 100...

Oh and hankook/Kumho is better in grip to the Achilles ATR sport/sport 2 as they are all designed for Asian roads that are smoother, etc. but will offer less grip than the Bridgestone RE050A\'s

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

Factory RE050As and Goodyear F1 Asyms were quiet.

/quote]

Wow really? Going from RE050A to some Kumhos we couldn\'t believe how much quieter the Kumhos were.

The RE050 is a ultra high performance tyre, like any tyre it is a compromise to certain things. A ultra high performance tyre that gives excellent grip and handling is by nature going to be noisier. Also a tyre that gives very little noise is going to offer less grip etc and so on and so on, all tyres a compromise between noise, grip/handling and longevity, none of them go hand in hand with the other

now if it had been compared it to say bridgestone Ecopia or Firestone TZ700 vs the Kumho you may be surprised on what a quite tyre sounds like :)

Also Nitto NT5000\'s and their ilk are designed for Asian markets where the tar seal is smoother than our volcanic stone chip seal...

So inshort:

(1)A tyre that is going to last you a very long time (i.e. high Km\'s) is going to offer garbage handling/grip, it may or may not be noisy.

(2)A tyre with great grip/handling is going to offer you less milage and may be noisier than another from above.

(3)A quite tyre will offer you better ride but poorer handling/grip than say (2), but better than say (1)...

Anyway got to go bed, have children (ooops I mean employee\'s) to manage in the morning ;)

I\'m aware that the treadwear rating doesn\'t actually mean that much, but when something is given 400?

My Nitto Invos are noisiest on the smooth roads of our motorways, they are also marketed as a quiet tyre... Chip seal is just noisy anyway. Also they are Nitto not Neuton as mentioned above.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my set, who knows.

• 4 weeks later...
 GorGasmSpecB said:

I\'m aware that the treadwear rating doesn\'t actually mean that much, but when something is given 400?

As stated the ratings are for within the same brand, 400 just means that it will last 4 times longer than a tyre from the same brand rated at 100. It is a meaningless American thing...

All they do is stick it on a roller and run it until it bleeds, then look at how many km (sic) it did and compare that against the control tyre rated at 100... then simply apply that factor difference...

subieboy']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

I\'m aware that the treadwear rating doesn\'t actually mean that much, but when something is given 400?/quote]

As stated the ratings are for within the same brand, 400 just means that it will last 4 times longer than a tyre from the same brand rated at 100. It is a meaningless American thing...

All they do is stick it on a roller and run it until it bleeds, then look at how many km (sic) it did and compare that against the control tyre rated at 100... then simply apply that factor difference...

I never knew!

Just think - 10 years ago a set of 18" wheels was holy sh!t territory - if you had 19"s it was importing your own tyres from the US