Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rosssub's Single Turbo Conversion.

Rosssub

I've ordered a new dipstick from Subaru, $29+gst. With a 7-10 day wait coming from Japan. I'll put measurements up when it arrives. I set the engine breathers up yesterday, just using 1/2" Dayco heater hose from BNT for now.

Right bank head breather running over the turbo inlet, then straight across the back of the manifold to a T-junction at the other side:

Breathers_in_001.jpg

I finally got around to blocking off my PCV valve properly, with a 1/2"npt bung from hose & hydraulics:

PCV_blocked_002.jpg

With the PCV blocked off, I've run my main block breather vertically straight into the intake. I will Tee the smaller block breather into the head breather hose above it, just need another T-junction:

Breathers_in_001a.jpg

I've reused half of an original BH head breather hose on the left head, running to the T-junction just inside the manifold runner:

Breathers_in_002a.jpg

Both head breathers T'ed together, then run under the manifold to the front intake pipe breather port:

Breathers_in_002b.jpg

Do all EJ20s have two block breathers? Also just wondering what size hose did you end up using for the head breathers?

Yeah only later model STI's from version 7 onward have the second crankcase breather port, also an extra head breather port on both rocker covers. It's to equalize pressure between the block and heads. As above I originally used 1/2 inch heater hose, then changed to 12mm silicone hose asap because coolant hose doesn't like oil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
 l2eeFer13 said:
Hey Rosssub did you replace and your seals and gaskets when you done the pistons?

If so do you have a list around with a majority of all the part numbers?

Didn't need to split the block, but replaced everything else. Are you splitting the block?

Ross, you're a life saver for putting all this info in one place.

I've gathered all the needed bits for this but I'm using the ej208 and running the 205 oilpan/dipstick. Doing a custom High mount TD04 19T with a 9 blade exhaust wheel and billet front..running on a Link WRXlink5/6. I'll get a thread going once it's underway. Excitement mounts.

• Admin
 thermos said:
Ross, you're a life saver for putting all this info in one place.

I've gathered all the needed bits for this but I'm using the ej208 and running the 205 oilpan/dipstick. Doing a custom High mount TD04 19T with a 9 blade exhaust wheel and billet front..running on a Link WRXlink5/6. I'll get a thread going once it's underway. Excitement mounts.

I'm intrigued, where exactly are you putting the turbo?

Hey Boon, my plan is to put it on the driver's side, ostensibly where the stock WRX/Forester turbo sits. I'd like to keep it close to the stock location and run a turbo blanket. I'd also like to run a top mount oil cooler where the stock IC sits, but I don't want the Oil pump to have to lift that much so I may scratch that idea.

thermos said:
Hey Boon, my plan is to put it on the driver's side, ostensibly where the stock WRX/Forester turbo sits. I'd like to keep it close to the stock location and run a turbo blanket. I'd also like to run a top mount oil cooler where the stock IC sits, but I don't want the Oil pump to have to lift that much so I may scratch that idea.

Cant just import stock turbo header setup?

I already have one along with the lower and upper oilpan off a 205, and will use it for initial startup and positioning... But due to me making an equal length header, I want to give myself some wiggle room for the design..ie routing ic piping as short and straight as possible, and then also giving clearance to the BMC for the DP etc. I'd like to be able to access the Turbo and other things easily/clean up the bay a bit. Still in the planning stages, but trying to finalize the design so I can get going on it. I'll do initial startup on a GF8 (ver5/6) ECU running wastegate boost, then swap to the Link once I can afford the bloody thing. :P

Sorry for the hijack Ross.

Edited by thermos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ross,

I am putting an EJ257 into a BE5 Legacy and have used the 2006 STi engine mounts but for some reason the actual engine mounts are not sitting properly on the cross member but the bolts line up etc. and can be bolted down.

Any suggestions as to why the mounts wouldn't be sitting on the cross member fully?

Also seems like the EJ257 is sitting higher and the 5 speed may not line up?

ap2276 said:
Hi Ross,

I am putting an EJ257 into a BE5 Legacy and have used the 2006 STi engine mounts but for some reason the actual engine mounts are not sitting properly on the cross member but the bolts line up etc. and can be bolted down.

Any suggestions as to why the mounts wouldn't be sitting on the cross member fully?

Also seems like the EJ257 is sitting higher and the 5 speed may not line up?

Im running an ej257 with earlier mounts and 5sp box. Works perfectly. Id say the difference is in the mounts.

Yeah probably a slightly different cross member shape between the BE and 06 STI too. Can you load some pic's showing what's going on? As evowrx said, get hold of some earlier WRX/STI square mounts. Could try your original BE mounts out first too:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?40756-BH5-TT-Engine-Mounts/page2

Here's the new GC8 gearbox crossmember all painted up ready to go:

Crossmember_reassembled_001.jpg

Reassembled, then a good old before and after:

Gearbox_Crossmember_Swap_TT_ST_007.jpg

Crossmember_reassembled_003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did you put in your r180 Diff?

I am having issues with the r180 fitting in the rear cradle / cross member! Any advice? Also, what about the rear hubs?

I'm still running the original BH5B R160 diff and hubs, so no help there sorry.

Got hold of a GC8 gearbox DP/exhaust hanger bracket, thanks again SAS:

Exhaust_hanger_bracket_002.jpg

Thanks to the Subaru Lego system, the BH5 already has the studs for the GC8 bracket on the rear shifter linkage mount:

Exhaust_hanger_bracket_005a.jpg

The original secondary DP hanger bracket mounted to the side of the gearbox here:

Exhaust_hanger_bracket_006a.jpg

New GC8 DP hanger bracket bolted up, ready for an OEM fitting VF36 DP:

Exhaust_hanger_bracket_007.jpg

Exhaust_hanger_bracket_008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...