Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Takata airbags recall

• General Member

could be?

Zenki said:
Just checked the NZTA Safety Recalls Database.

2003 JDM Legacies were recalled in February this year for airbag-related issues (possibly unrelated to the Takata recall). Otherwise nothing yet.

Campaign Number: NZ045

[h=1]Recall Information[/h]

[h=3]Make:[/h]

[h=3]Model:[/h]

Subaru

Legacy (JDM Import) -- 2003

[h=3]Statement:[/h]

Subaru of New Zealand have been advised by Fuji Heavy Industries (the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles) that certain Subaru Legacy vehicles may experience passenger airbag issues in the event the passenger airbag is deployed. Excessive pressure of the airbag inflators may cause the airbag module to rupture which could lead to injury. Because of this Subaru New Zealand will conduct a Safety Related Recall on behalf of Fuji Heavy Industries.

[h=3]Instructions:[/h]

Please contact your Authorised Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to arrange an appointment that is mutually acceptable to have the passenger airbag module replacement carried out. o locate the nearest Subaru Dealer please access our web site at www. subaru.co.nz and go to the main menu, then go to Authorised Dealers. Alternatively, call 0800 SUBARU (0800 782278) to contact your local Authorised Dealer.

[h=3]Website:[/h]

http://www.subaru.co.nz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Subaru of New Zealand has issued a recall of some 2004 - 2007 Impreza and WRX:

Mon, 05/25/2015

Subaru of New Zealand has announced a safety recall for 2,342 New Zealand new vehicles, Model Year 2004-2007 Impreza and WRX models that are equipped with front passenger Takata airbag inflators.

The recall is due to the possibility that the Takata airbag inflator may over time be susceptible to moisture intrusion.

This could make the inflator assembly prone to rupture during an accident, increasing the risk of occupant injury.

Potentially affected customers will be contacted in the near future by Subaru of New Zealand, advising them of the recall.

To the best of our knowledge, there have been no reported incidents of failure in New Zealand new Subaru vehicles.

Replacement parts are being prepared in Japan.

Due to the volume of vehicles across multiple brands affected globally, it is currently estimated that sufficient parts to enable recall repairs will be available by early next year.

At that stage, relevant customers will again be contacted regarding the repair procedure.

All work will be conducted for free and is estimated to take approximately 1.5 hours.

The affected VIN range for New Zealand New Subaru vehicles MY2004-2007 Impreza is as follows:

0w5iuysq.iaa.png

Please note, not all vehicles which fall within the VIN range listed above will be affected.

Customers can also contact their Subaru Customer Service Centre on 0800 SUBARU (782278) to speak with their local Authorised Subaru Dealership.

The detail outlined in the above notification is only relevant to Subaru vehicles purchased new and originally distributed by Subaru of New Zealand.

Subaru of New Zealand are in the process of identifying the volume and VIN range of possible affected used import vehicles.

Subaru of NZ can confirm the only vehicles affected regardless of their origin are 2004 – 2007MY Impreza and WRX. There are no other New Zealand new Subaru models covered by this campaign.

Source: http://www.subaru.co.nz/news/subaru-new-zealand-recall-statement

• 1 month later...
  • General Member

Even the Ferrari LaFerrari has a Takata problem

safe_image.php?d=AQAJgkIeCpSHsttZ&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kinja-img.com%2Fgawker-media%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fs--3qOiK-fx--%2Fc_fill%2Cfl_progressive%2Cg_north%2Ch_358%2Cq_80%2Cw_636%2F1344719921131030414.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

Even Ferrari Has A Takata Airbag Recall Now

What does the crappy 2001 Honda Civic you drove in college have in common with the $1.4 million LaFerrari? Besides the fact that they both have four tires and an engine, they’ve both been recalled for faulty Takata airbags.

jalopnik.com|By Patrick George

• 1 year later...

Just bringing up an old thread, but......

Is there anyway to know if your car has had the replacement airbag?

I brought my outback last year, but there was nothing to indicate that it had been in to get the airbag rpalced or if its been checked and that the airbag is ok.

Can I take it to a dealer to check? will there be something in the system to advise if it has been done? Can I check with LTNZ?

Any advice would be good.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, SpeedySub said:

Just bringing up an old thread, but......

Is there anyway to know if your car has had the replacement airbag?

I brought my outback last year, but there was nothing to indicate that it had been in to get the airbag rpalced or if its been checked and that the airbag is ok.

Can I take it to a dealer to check? will there be something in the system to advise if it has been done? Can I check with LTNZ?

Any advice would be good.

And where do Imported JDM owners stand, will Subaru NZ cover the cost of the swap out?  MY07 Legacy GTB

6 minutes ago, killervq30de said:

And where do Imported JDM owners stand, will Subaru NZ cover the cost of the swap out?  MY07 Legacy GTB

Good question - didn't even think of that. Im hoping its not like the dash issue where they said it wasn't their issue.

Might fir a quick email off to Subaru NZ and see what they say before going to a dealer.

Will keep you posted with what I hear back

Just called Subaru NZ (Armstrongs) and had a talk with someone there about this.

Tuns out the airbag issue is not with all JDM imports, only some. I have been given an email address to send my details to to check if it is affected.

The email address is :

[email protected]

They need to know:

Your name

Rego number

Phone number

If you have had any recall letters

Apparently the system is down at the moment and the new system is going to up and running late next week. So it may take a while to get an answer.

Also the good news if you are affected then it is repalced at no cost even if imported.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Percy said:

Hmm NZTA list 2003 Legacy as one of the models affected, wonder if thats BE/BH or BL/BP chassis, does anyone know fo sho?

From what I remember reading I think its the BL/BP 2003 models not the last BE/BH.

5 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

We just got a letter asking to bring the Tribeca in.

Good to hear.

Did you buy it off a Subaru dealer?

I brought mine from a non subaru dealer so not sure what happens with them and recall letters

• Like 1

• General Member

back in the day I bought my GTB off a Ford dealer & dont remember how I got onto the Subaru Mailing list but I got recall letters for it too, perhaps visit the Subaru NZ website & register?

ahh YES here : https://www.subaru.co.nz/owners/owners-registration

OWNERS

Owners registration

From time to time we have service or recall campaign updates for our Subaru customers, to ensure Subaru drivers have the best ownership experience we can provide. Please register below to be kept on the inside track about all things Subaru, or fill in this form if you’d simply like to let us know about a change of address or other personal details.

What is a vehicle safety recall, and how do I know if my vehicle has been subject to one?

A vehicle safety recall is conducted by a vehicle manufacturer in the event of a component failure (or potential failure) that may prevent the driver from controlling the vehicle in a safe and proper manner. Examples of such components include brakes, steering, suspension, headlights, and airbags. In the event that a Subaru vehicle needs to be recalled, Subaru of New Zealand will contact the current owners of the vehicles to advise them of the corrective actions required. We monitor the completed repairs and will contact owners again if the vehicle has not been fixed within a period of time. 

To receive more information about the TAKATA airbag recall, register your details below and Subaru will be in contact when then are further updates. 

• Like 1

• General Member

feed back from the Facbook post re takata's

Got this today...Apparently Subaru NZ only doing NZ New models atm as after more than a year has gone past they still waiting on JDM imports list and "permission" 1f62c.png

Thanks @Joker

Looks like it will be a while till I hear then. Well it hasn't gone off yet, so hopefully will be all good.

Would be ironic to crash because of the air bag going off and not having the airbag to save you because its already deployed:o

• Like 1

• General Member

less about them going off at random I "beleive" it was something to do with metal parts acting like shrapnel in the event of an accident?

so yea "dont stress" but dont crash neither yeah?

• Like 1

• Joker changed the title to Takata airbags recall