Misha97

Buying an 03 Forester with 230,000kms on it but cambelt last replaced at 102,000kms. Need advice

Okay so I am going to pick up this Forester in a week or so, and I have to drive it back home from pick up which is around 650km. I know there’s no hard and fast rule on cambelts and waterpumps but I don’t want it to just die on the way home. Would you recommend getting those parts replaced as soon as I get it home to avoid any disasters? Any constructive advice appreciate

Yeah there is a hard and fast rule, replace every 100K km

Doing the water pump at the same time is an excellent idea, sending your car back to the workshop a week after you've had a cam belt replaced is annoying, been there done that

Schrodinger's cam belt...

I'd make getting it replaced a priority 

Edited by Bugle
  • Like 1

You generally should replace them at 80k to 100k, but you can inspect them to get an idea of how f***ed they are and if it’s way past due. 
removing the cover and look for the same things as worn or old tires. 

Cracking on the side where it turns around pulleys

surface cracks

chipped or missing teeth

threads coming out from the middle

cuts or strips tearing off

press your fingernail into it and it should bounce back and not leave a mark. It’s make of rubber so if it’s not bouncing back it’s rotted.

id you don’t have receipts for the last replacement then plan to do everything including pump tensioner and pulleys (the smooth ones not the cam gears)

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, Bugle said:

Yeah there is a hard and fast rule, replace every 100K km

Doing the water pump at the same time is an excellent idea, sending your car back to the workshop a week after you've had a cam belt replaced is annoying, been there done that

Schrodinger's cam belt...

I'd make getting it replaced a priority 

Hiya it’s just that I get paid the day after I pick up the car and I’d rather get the cambelt done in my hometown where I know the local mechanics and trust them. Would it be safe to drive it back on that cambelt and get it replaced when I’m back home?

Have you driven the car or heard it running?

Does the water temp stay in the normal range when worked hard?

Is there any strange noises coming from the front of the motor/timing belt area?

Uncommon for the belt to break unless one of the bearings seizes..

Sometimes you have to cross your fingers and hope..

The joys of buying someones troubles..

Good luck..

Agree with checking the condition of the belt. If it goes on you halfway through your trip, your engine = scrap, then you have an ever bigger cost on your hands.

18 minutes ago, Shibe said:

Agree with checking the condition of the belt. If it goes on you halfway through your trip, your engine = scrap, then you have an ever bigger cost on your hands.

yep gonna be getting it replaced before i go back to wellington. 

1 minute ago, Misha97 said:

yep gonna be getting it replaced before i go back to wellington. 

Probably a very good call. Better safe than sorry!

1 minute ago, Shibe said:

Probably a very good call. Better safe than sorry!

ya exactly, don't want a $3.5k car crapping out and dying becasue i didnt wanna spend 1.2k on a cambelt and waterpump. 

• Like 2