Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Toyota FT-86 Concept finds its way into Gran Turismo 5

newsuba

Video;

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/video-toyota-ft-86-concept-finds-its-way-into-gran-turismo-5/#continued

Note the closeup of the motor "C-4S BOXER"

;)

Photos;

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/toyota-ft-86-concept/

I'm not easily impressed but this concept looks good.

Just don't f u c k it up Toyota/Subaru !

Keep it simple, no dipsh i t SI-drive, 4wd or fancy-schmancy semi-auto gearbox crap.

KEEP IT LIGHT

Keep it affordable !

Press release;

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/toyko-2009-preview-toyota-ft-86-concept-brings-back-the-hachiro/

03-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

04-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

05-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

07-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

Love the exterior look of it, hope the engine has a bit of fun injected into it to match it. As everyone else has said the interior should hopefully get a rethink before/if its released

Old Skool Subbie said:

Will be covered in plastic panels, i hate this look!!! show me the motor!

DRFVDR said:

Could this be the long rumored "new" SVX ???

A few guys recons it looks closer to the Alcyone XT4 aka Vortex...

Has a Digi dash too

and has...

frame free doors yay :D

Intreasting how they describe how they got the colour... ::):P

Even the blue-red metallic paint was specially developed by Toyota.

“Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red,” chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said. “So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's” backside.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091006/tokyo/910069998

If Subaru Australia’s did this would this affect us for getting these to NZ?

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/site/articleIDs/A81439E30BD172ABCA257417007B1B2B

Subaru Australia’s commitment to symmetrical all-wheel drive has killed off any prospect of a new rear-wheel drive sports coupe coming here.

As reported in Wheels’ April issue, on-sale today, the sports coupe is a joint project between Subaru and shareholder Toyota.

It will employ normally-aspirated 2.0-litre boxer engines, only power the rear wheels and be built by Subaru for both companies with different exterior sheetmetal. Subaru’s version is said to be based on its 2003 B11-S concept (pictured).

According to the scoop story compiled by Wheels’ Japan correspondent Peter Nunn, the car is tipped to start production in 2010 with pricing in Japan starting at a red-hot $A21,000.

But Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior was quick to pour cold water on the car’s prospects in Australia: “From my understanding of it, it doesn’t fit within our brand strategy,” he said.

A key issue is the car’s rear-wheel drive. Since committing to a boxer engine and all-wheel drive model strategy 10 years ago, Subaru Australia’s sales have continually increased. In 2007 it sold a record 38,445 vehicles and was ninth biggest seller overall.

But that wasn’t Senior’s only reason to reject the coupe, also citing the failure of the Nissan 200SX and other coupes in the past.

“How many two-door coupes have been highly successful?” he asked.

“We have an iconic car which is Impreza WRX and WRX STI. They are four door, turbocharged vehicles which aren’t Johnny-come-latelies like so many of the competitors we see pop up from time to time.

“It is said ‘these are the new WRXes’ and lo and behold they disappear within a few years.”

The other local concern would undoubtedly be badge engineering. In the days when General Motors had a share of Subaru’s parent Fuji Heavy Industries, the Australians successfully fought off an attempt to rebadge the popular Forester compact SUV as a Holden and the Holden Commodore large car as a Subaru.

The Saab 9-4X – a rebodied and rebadged Impreza WRX - was also successfully resisted by Senior and his team.

“It gets back to the whole debate about badge engineering and we aren’t interested in that,” Senior confirmed.

“But more realistically and more credibly, our DNA is boxer engines and all-wheel drive. I haven’t seen that lose impetus in the last 10 years, so why should we stray from that strategy?”

That article was written in 2008 !

::)

Subaru should pull their head out of their ass.

There have been plenty of successful coupes, a lot of them from Japanese manufacturers.

With model ranges moving ever upwards in complexity and cost, now is the time for an affordable, back-to-basics sports coupe.

Even Audi have moved away from a blind committment to awd cars.

If subaru dont take it in this part of the world then toyota will, and whats wrong with that? and they need to have a really good N/A engine for it to be any good, just think how good the first gen 4AGE's were in 1983 when the first AE86 came about? or a DI turbo 1.6 or something, with a more square bore/stroke ratio.