Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Louder WRX STi

cycorx

BC5RA']

[quote name='cycorx said:

yup its standard right the way through and i'm just looking for the noise...not like super loud but just a slight increase.

and thanks for the advice :)

/quote]

Then have a dump pipe installed and lose the catalytic converter.

2.5" is what you want

3" will make it rasp real bad and sounds not so nice.

removing what BC said above will give you more engine response tho and increase noise more

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

This. No need for cats in NZ (at the moment anyway) and it frees up a lot of flow.

this on a stock muffler wont make it sound any different to stock imo... this is what mine was like when i bought the car, 3" all the way through to V7 sti muffler, was quiet as stock

Plus with the larger dump you will end up having less pressure on the turbine and lower shaft speed for the same amount of boost win win, but the plod will hit you in the pocket if to loud

• Admin

2.5 down pipe and factory center with a bigger muff, nice sound and performance, nothing too stupid, you lose performance with anything bigger than 2.5 according to many members on here...

personally, I'm keeping factory, all aprt from the downpipe, thats going to be a PBMS style one when i find one and have the dosh

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

This. No need for cats in NZ (at the moment anyway) and it frees up a lot of flow.

This is changing in Jan 2010 according to my certifier.

RAYDEO said:

2.5 down pipe and factory center with a bigger muff, nice sound and performance, nothing too stupid, you lose performance with anything bigger than 2.5 according to many members on here...

personally, I'm keeping factory, all aprt from the downpipe, thats going to be a PBMS style one when i find one and have the dosh

Saying you will lose performance if you go bigger than 2.5 is over simplifying it, in what way?

BC5RA']

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

/quote]

Saying you will lose performance if you go bigger than 2.5 is over simplifying it, in what way?

Possibly more of a law of diminishing returns thing rather than a reduction in performance by going bigger than 2.5"

I've got a 3" dumppipe to factory exhaust (with cats removed) and normal STI muffler on my wagon and it sounds quite nice without being overbearing unlike my RS which has a 3" from the turbo back where the two resonators and straight through muffler do sweet f.a.

GC8E2DD said:

So everyone who has decatted their downpipes or swapped for an aftermarket one will need to get retroactively certified?

Technically under Vehicle Exhaust Emissions 2007 act/rules no one is allowed to modify your vehicle so it does not pass emissions stds.

Interesting. I might dig it out and have a read. I wonder what the deal is if your vehicle doesn't meet emissions standards even in stock form. Carte blanche for modifying? I actually have a stock downpipe and have toyed with the idea of replacing it. If it actually needs a cert or (worse) is illegal, then I guess that puts the kibosh on that.

well there is no testing for the nz car fleet - govt put it in the too hard basket.

Since the average car is about 14 years in NZ - i doubt the cats are working - and half the cars might fail !

Qwerty said:

well there is no testing for the nz car fleet - govt put it in the too hard basket.

Since the average car is about 14 years in NZ - i doubt the cats are working - and half the cars might fail !

exactly.. what happenes in this case?? i will shudder to see the cost of getting ALL the cars in nz to pass the emmisons tests at wof time ....

• 1 month later...