Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1995 WRX STi V2 555 edition or 1997 WRX STi V3?

Hey there,

My search for a STi in my price range has led me to two options, just wanted to get an opinion from all you people who are more knowledgeable on these cars than I am, so here goes

First one is a 1995 WRX STi version 2 sedan 555 edition ($7000)

It has done 120,000kms

It has the RA roof scoop, aluminum bonnet, I/C water spray and close ratio box, but no DCCD, I believe it was just a special edition Subaru did back in 1995 (http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/index.html) this website has info on it. It used to have all the 555 rally decals all over but they have been removed.

The car has OZ aftermarket wheels, Apexi boost control and a aftermarket ECU, adjustable suspension (with cert) and the engine was rebuilt 15,000kms ago. How ever when he removed the stickers the paint got a bit scratched up in places and looks like it will need more than just a buff up to fix.

Also the redline is at 7000 RPM, I thought STi's redline at 8000 RPM?? It is a red top motor, and has all the STi extras so I'm certain its an STi, can anyone shed any light on this? maybe its to do with it being a special edition?

I am thinking of getting the car looked over by Stubaru here in Chch

100_1145.jpg

100_1144.jpg

100_1143.jpg

100_1142.jpg

Second car is a 1997 WRX STi version 3 sedan ($8000)

It has done 122,000kms

The car is completely standard apart from 18" chrome wheels (Which I would be replacing with some gold coloured wheels)

It was purchased from economy cars here in Chch in July, owner is now moving overseas and needs to sell the car. It was purchased with a 2 year mechanical warranty from Lumley insurance which the owner is telling me can be transferred to my name if I buy the car.

Sorry I have no pics of this one

Which car in your opinions would be the better buy?

Cheers for the help

Ben

hmmm plus the first one has a totally messed up intercooler!!

every time i opened the bonnet id be pissed off with all those bent fins lol. check in that first one for signs of caging being removed. Wouldnt surprise me if it had done a bit of rallying in japan.

It depends what you want to do with it, if you were thinking front mount at any stage, i'd go with the first car as you can cut what you want out of the front panel, then you'd be able to make nice short pipework and not have to worry if you'll fail a cert or not. The paintwork does look pretty tidy, personally I dont like that colour blue though.

funkytown said:

version 3 is just the same.. so your point will apply equally to both cars in regard to the cert guys..

Version 3 has no bags in it..

What do you mean by bags?

Cheers for he comments guys, yea haven't got any pics of the second one yet, its in Westport, you might have seen it on trademe? its silver with 18" advanti stalkers and has aftermarket fog lights in place of the usual sti covers.

Just another thought. I guess the insurance will cost more on the 95 car having adjusties and apexi boost controller etc??

Ben

ben-jamminn']

[quote name='funkytown said:

version 3 is just the same.. so your point will apply equally to both cars in regard to the cert guys..

Version 3 has no bags in it..

/quote]

What do you mean by bags?

Cheers for he comments guys, yea haven't got any pics of the second one yet, its in Westport, you might have seen it on trademe? its silver with 18" advanti stalkers and has aftermarket fog lights in place of the usual sti covers.

Just another thought. I guess the insurance will cost more on the 95 car having adjusties and apexi boost controller etc??

Ben

air bags..

Sotffa was referring to chopping stuff in the front when/if you do a Front mount. Its simple / easy when the car doesnt haven airbags.. and basically you cant touch sh|t if it does.. you do and its not warrantable..

I was saying it doesnt matter for either of these cars as neither will have air bags as Stoffa was suggesting.

Oh i get ya,

I'm leaning more towards the v3 at this stage, having a warrantee and better engine/gearbox, for an extra grand isn't too bad.

Just have to wait til friday when the guy is driving over to chch, so I can take a look at it and possibly buy it while he is over.

bought my v3 from westport.. wish i never did personally.. they have no one dedicated that seems to know there sh\t from real small places..

Mine was totally rooted.. but my 2c tho.

see if you can find out who it belongs to or (person or garage) and drop me a PM.. whats the bet its the same ppl.

pretty set.. I've been looking for a couple of months, 8k seems not too bad to me, compared to some of the other prices you see around. And I've sold my vehicle so I'm currently car less so need to get something soon ish, not too say i'm just rushing into it and buying for the sake of it, like I said, I have been looking for a while.

ben-jamminn said:

[regarding Ver 2]

Also the redline is at 7000 RPM, I thought STi's redline at 8000 RPM?? It is a red top motor, and has all the STi extras so I'm certain its an STi, can anyone shed any light on this? maybe its to do with it being a special edition?

FYI this is correct. V2 STI redline is 7k. V2 WRX-RA / STI-RA redline is 7.5k EJ20G engine series

V3 STI redline is 8k. EJ20K engine series