Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ipod Head Init

Jammasta

My head unit is on the fritz, it keeps blacking out and its getting worse.

What is out there in the wya of Ipod Head units, i'm looking for one that can plug into the ipod andi can control the songs from the headunit, if it charges the ipod at the same time, bonus,

Not interested in using those belkin or something to use via radio freq as that shit sucks balls.

Let me know what you've tried, usning etc.

IBiPODSUCKS

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=205254140

Ive got one of these, quite cool uses usbs & aux, ipod control aswell

Charges ipod at same time as use it, i never got a ipod working on it tho, only ever tryed with an OLD school ipod shuffle, came up with error e1 which is song format wrong/ipod not compatable or something? eh i dont know i got a 4gb usb stick with more than enough songs

its got two sets of rca cables for amps & ive never had it skip on me yet

seems quite good for $200

i must say its the design is pretty basic tho, not many bottons to play with lol

I've got something like this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/CD-players/Pioneer/auction-206282056.htm

Dunno if its this exact model that I've got cause I can't be arsed walking out to the car to check but its one of the ones around that range.

Awesome headunit! The sound is mint. I used to have one of the Sony Black panel headunits and the sound from the Pioneer blows it away. I don't bother with subs anymore and get enough bass to keep me happy from just 6.5" components front and rear. Couldn't believe how much gooderer the Pioneer was than the old Sony that cost me at least 3x as much.

iPod plugs straight in. Has all the same music functions controlled straight from the headunit and charges the iPod too. Only time I ever pull the iPod out of the car is to update the music. Also ran the iPod to USB cable behind the interior stuff so it stays hidden in the centre console.

• Admin

ill sell you mine...

16789-PIONEER%20DEH-P490IB.jpg

similar to this (looks identicle possibly a different model tho)

4x50 watt speaker outs

front rca out

rear rca out

sub out

highpass filter

triband eq

ipod in (works with touch but dosnt charge)

aux in

plays mp3 cds etc

I'm using an Alpine CDA-9887 with the full speed ipod cable (**which uses an ana-logue signal from ipod). Got it for $650 a while back with the cable. while it controls the ipod i find it at times a bit fidgety to use esp when acesssing the playlists, etc.

I'd personally prefer the Pioneer P-80RSII though at around the same price when i got mine, much nicer looking headunit. The only issue i have with the alpine is the cheap chinese build - the print on the skip buttons are worn out in under 6 months use. I've used a few Pioneer units in the past and they just felt better built - they do start at the 8xxx series though the basic 5 and 6 series look nasty.

**the sound from the ipod is very noticable in comparison to playing normal CD's which sound a LOT better

Cheers for the help,

I really like the idea now of the USB stick in the Head Unit, would be slightly easier than the Ipod and if i change it up in the future i don't need to worry about it fitting the old slots. Just need to find one i like the look of i think.

I can't beleive how cheap they've become, i paid 800 for a MP3 playing HU about 6 years ago.

spark_38 said:

**the sound from the ipod is very noticable in comparison to playing normal CD's which sound a LOT better

Is the sound anyworse than a MP3 CD? Same quality burned onto the CD as i put on the iPOD

Glen said:

Depends entirely on the quality that you rip your music at.

What i'm meaning will the quality of the same music at the same bitrate, be different because its played through the Ipoooood or the CD. I suspect not.

Will start having a good hunt around now, now that i know that what i'm after may be out there.

I've had one of the Panasonic iPod compatible head units for over a year now, and think its great. the only trick is, you need the additional iPod connector cable (sold separately), so make sure to get both pieces otherwise you will be stuck using the normal headphone aux-in and be no better off. I have no experience with the Fusion unit above, although putting your iPod in like a CD looks bloody cool, but then you have no CD player. I have my iPod cable routed into the glovebox, and leave it there all the time. The one word of caution I would give when purchasing an iPod headunit, is if you have a large iPod (80 gig iPod classic like me) then the artist listing can be very very slow to get through by scrolling what is normally the volume control. If the Fusion/Pioneer/Alpine systems enable fast scrolling, or perhaps scrolling through by letter (like the iPods do when you go quickly) then I think I would purchase one of those, as Scrolling from ABBA to ZZ Top takes far too long. just my two cents, and other than the scrolling issue, i love having my iPod connected. I get around it by making playlists of the common things I would otherwise have to scroll to. Good luck with your choice. To anyone else who has a different make headunit, do you have the same scrolling issue I do?

jake_the_muss said:

I've had one of the Panasonic iPod compatible head units for over a year now, and think its great. the only trick is, you need the additional iPod connector cable (sold separately), so make sure to get both pieces otherwise you will be stuck using the normal headphone aux-in and be no better off. I have no experience with the Fusion unit above, although putting your iPod in like a CD looks bloody cool, but then you have no CD player. I have my iPod cable routed into the glovebox, and leave it there all the time. The one word of caution I would give when purchasing an iPod headunit, is if you have a large iPod (80 gig iPod classic like me) then the artist listing can be very very slow to get through by scrolling what is normally the volume control. If the Fusion/Pioneer/Alpine systems enable fast scrolling, or perhaps scrolling through by letter (like the iPods do when you go quickly) then I think I would purchase one of those, as Scrolling from ABBA to ZZ Top takes far too long. just my two cents, and other than the scrolling issue, i love having my iPod connected. I get around it by making playlists of the common things I would otherwise have to scroll to. Good luck with your choice. To anyone else who has a different make headunit, do you have the same scrolling issue I do?

Negative, the SOny has a quik system setup somehow. very very easy and fast to use, no delays at all.

b@st@rd. guess i might have to get a sony sometime in the future. although that fusion one looks really cool, but no cd's...

jake_the_muss said:

b@st@rd. guess i might have to get a sony sometime in the future. although that fusion one looks really cool, but no cd's...

Yeah but if you have an ipod with 20gig or so of music do you really need cds? Would be good to have a usb on it though.

Yeah, but it is nice to be able to play them, like if someone brings something they want to play etc. To be honest, I don't use the CD player in my car much, but I do use it sometimes.

I just installed an Alpine unit.

http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalogue(99).asp?ProductCategoryId=1&ProductId=459

It's really awesome. Search function is great. It's easy as chips to get from Abba to ZZ Top. Sound quality is tops.

I guess it depends on your budget as well.

And who uses CDs these days? You can drop everything you own onto the iPod.

fair enough, that alpine looks mean. does it have a cable out the back to connect to an iPod in the glovebox?

predator likes abba? :P

DRFVDR said:

http://fusioncaraudio.com/new-zealand-and-pacific/car-audio-1/head-units-6/caip500-68-product.aspx

so get one off these

dont have one

dont have an ipod even

but they so so cool

mate had one really cool design hides the ipod,

i have one of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/CD-players/Pioneer/auction-206282056.htm

wouldnt walk past it i even charge my ph with it via usb! controls ipods iphones memory sticks and all, sub out and 2 rca outs,

predator said:

I just installed an Alpine unit.

http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalogue(99).asp?ProductCategoryId=1&ProductId=459

It's really awesome. Search function is great. It's easy as chips to get from Abba to ZZ Top. Sound quality is tops.

I guess it depends on your budget as well.

And who uses CDs these days? You can drop everything you own onto the iPod.

i still use cds/dvds with mp3s on them and i think they are better than those fragile ipods! well the hdd ones anyway unless you have a solid state one

I too rate the Pioneer headunits quite highly over any other brand... so wished i had obtained the P-80RS (II) when they were on sale a while back for $500

I've used the older 7650 and 5850 and were generally quite pleased with both, esp the ease of operation