Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ks per tank of gas

gtb36

gtb36']

[quote name='boostin said:

So that's why the ECU isn't pulling boost. It can't.

/quote]

what you mean

its got a link with no speedcut out as well

Oh well that all makes sense now lol, ok I shoud have been more specific with my 1st post - factory they were never designed to run on 91 :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what we call posting a whole pile of random stuff in a thread like oh, I love these shoes. Also, pink. My kitten is the cutest ever! And so is that guy over there.

And just when everyone is convinced you're a drag queen...you point out you're actually a girl :P

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS! ;D

Shale said:

This is what we call posting a whole pile of random stuff in a thread like oh, I love these shoes. Also, pink. My kitten is the cutest ever! And so is that guy over there.

And just when everyone is convinced you're a drag queen...you point out you're actually a girl :P

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS! ;D

mate dont pu## your self to much!!

1st it wasnt about my car i wont to no what km's per tank ppl getting

as i was runing on 91 then you guys get all jumpy!! :-\ :-\

2nd iam a framer ok and work was done for me if i new a link was a biggy at the start i would have told all.. :-* :-*

ReubenH said:

Mentioning that the car has a link ECU is kind of extremely vital to this conversation mate.

Can links even run twin turbo???

hey mate iam sorry i didnt think about the link

as i sed iam just a farmer aye and work was done for me

but saying that my old gtb was a import and run on 91

Yeah fair enough, if you just paid and let someone else do the work you're not going to know 100% of the details.

Only reason I drew the comparison is because I get that. People think wtf is that dude smoking...only to find out I'm a chick. ;)

Generally speaking, a non-modified or non-tuned Subaru, especially turbo, has no business being run on 91 as it's not high octane enough. Tuning makes ALL the difference, as the ECU understands how to use the lower grade fuel :)

I always reset my trip meter on fillup, and the most ive ever gotten from my legacy RS is about 430 kms, and i was well in the fuel light zone there..and that was 85buks worth of gas. :'( From what ive read in the first couple pages, people seem to be getting alot more than that, im not sure how.. :S. I only usually do town driving tho, so open road may give me a few more k's. I also run on 95RON, because its a ton cheaper most of the time, and i use those pak n' save discount vouchers, they only have 95.

I ran a tank of 98 once or twice, but i seemed to get even less mileage on it than 95. And weirdly enough, whether i drive carefully or like a bat out of hell, the mileage i get barely changes. (about 20kms less on a whole tank.)

Any ideas? Im wondering if i need to give it an engine tune, get the car checked out mechanically.... or save some coin and just upgrade to a B4 perhaps, lol.

The poor gas mileage sucks, coz i end up riding everywhere in my mates old man-ish but economical Mitsi lancer wagon.. :(

Guest boostin

1st and 2nd gens are pretty poor on gas. The ECU's and engines are much better in the 3rd gens and they will generally use less fuel than the early cars.

True enough, yet in the 1st 2 of pages theres a couple of people with leggy's the same model series as mine, and they say they are getting 450 - 550.. i struggle to hit 400. As mines a 97, the last of the model line, and MT, i thort it would be at least as good as that. But yea I think the minor revisions that were made in the change from boxermaster 4 to boxer phase 2 in the b4 help a bit.. Bugger. As much as i like my RS, a change to a b4 myt not b a bad idea if it gets me more mileage AND a slightly improved power curve.. and a newer car to boot. Problem is finding a nice one that doesn't cost so much more that it will defeat the purpose of saving money on gas.

Well I took the RS out for a drive yesterday. 430km to $120. That did however include 6-7 runs at a gravel sprint - so thats between 10-20km of full throttle. Plus the odd squirt overtaking. Cars got a Link and the tune is pretty reasonable for economy - but yeah, carrying 6 spare tyres and a spare set of suspension plus tools adds to the weight of the car quite a bit.

Ohh and spicyHam - have you checked your O2 sensor is ok? As mine was unplugged for a while by mistake and was meaning I couldnt get more than 400km to a tank out of my GTB. Plugged it back in and I typically do 400km round town and 500+ on the open road.

spicyHam said:

I ran a tank of 98 once or twice, but i seemed to get even less mileage on it than 95.

There's your problem. The ECU doesn't know what octane you're running, it just knows if it's detting or not. It takes several tanks of 98, or an ECU reset to get a difference in gas milage.

If economy is an issue, yeah, give it a big service. New air filter, upper engine clean, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, Oil and filter change (Do your oil and filter every 10,000K's at least) Maintenance is key.

ReubenH']

[quote name='spicyHam said:

I ran a tank of 98 b]once or twice[/b], but i seemed to get even less mileage on it than 95.

There's your problem. The ECU doesn't know what octane you're running, it just knows if it's detting or not. It takes several tanks of 98, or an ECU reset to get a difference in gas milage.

If economy is an issue, yeah, give it a big service. New air filter, upper engine clean, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, Oil and filter change (Do your oil and filter every 10,000K's at least) Maintenance is key.

servicing is always good but i doubt it will improve the fuel economy

ReubenH']

[quote name='spicyHam said:

I ran a tank of 98 b]once or twice[/b], but i seemed to get even less mileage on it than 95.

no way its has to be 5,000k's i have lots of mates do oil at 10,000k's and there do beb i do oil 5,000k's and never done a beb

Guest boostin
 subiv5 said:

My NZ new V7 STI only recommended doing it every 10,000ks. Full service history of only doing it every 10,000ks too

Thats the recommended maximum interval. Earlier does no harm.

Just did an actual service on my very neglected Impreza. Upper engine clean, cambelt change, oil + filter change, coolant flush.

Uh yeah suddenly it pulls HARD past 4k, has stopped nomming the gas and no longer misfires on occasion ;D Something else I noticed is that for some reason it's not dumping gas any more, and hence isn't cracking backfires for africa.

There is value in maintaining your car :)

Munkvy said:

have you checked your O2 sensor is ok? As mine was unplugged for a while by mistake and was meaning I couldnt get more than 400km to a tank out of my GTB. Plugged it back in and I typically do 400km round town and 500+ on the open road.

If the O2 sensor is the little plug that goes in just down from the airbox (Yea ima tech noob) , then yea its plugged in. I do my oil/oil filter changes every 5000kms, so thats not an issue either, and tbh i dont wana pay a guy 200bux to swap my airfilter, wipe the engine bay with a rag and tell me i need to pay him extra to flush all the fluids in my engine or it will explode.. and ive got no idea how to reset an ecu. I think with a full tank, if it was able to make a change it would have done so. I honestly don't think 98 is that great - my car certainly didnt feel any faster when i used it. I don't see why gas stations think they can charge way more for 3 measly octane..