Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ks per tank of gas

gtb36

gtb36']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

Yeah, nah, don't run 91... ever. It's more likely to detonate under load than 95, and 98, and has the ability to cause big end bearing failure. It's not so much a problem if the car never sees boost, but when it does, things can go bang. You WILL get better fuel economy on 98 btw. Just keep in mind these cars are meant to be run on 100 octane!

I've heard of a brand new 09 STi blow it's big end bearings, cause the genius drove it round the track on 91.

I suggest you google octane ratings.

/quote]

well my old gb5 gtb was allwas on boost and run on 91 and did a lots of towing as well then towing a stock car so that over 2 1/5 tons

and never had a prob

Karma will find your bearings one day. You don't feed an infant KFC...you don't feed a turbo 91.

As above...google why it's a bad idea.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shale']

[quote name='Drunkenmonkey said:

Yeah, nah, don't run 91... ever. It's more likely to detonate under load than 95, and 98, and has the ability to cause big end bearing failure. It's not so much a problem if the car never sees boost, but when it does, things can go bang. You WILL get better fuel economy on 98 btw. Just keep in mind these cars are meant to be run on 100 octane!

I've heard of a brand new 09 STi blow it's big end bearings, cause the genius drove it round the track on 91.

I suggest you google octane ratings.

/quote]

well my old gb5 gtb was allwas on boost and run on 91 and did a lots of towing as well then towing a stock car so that over 2 1/5 tons

and never had a prob

Karma will find your bearings one day. You don't feed an infant KFC...you don't feed a turbo 91.

As above...google why it's a bad idea.

lol if you say so

time will will tell

jakesternz said:

Uses more on 95?? Is that because the engine is trying to compensate for not having enough RON??

Yup - Basically the ECU detects early signs of detonation and throws more fuel in there to cool the mixture down (also retards timing), higher octane fuel has better det resistance so engine can safely run leaner and with more timing advance.

It feels noticably slower on 95 as well, especially on a hot day. Bugger is you can't get 98 anywhere south of Dunedin. But its ok, I have another car for thrashing which is quite happy with 95 and more fun anyway.

Guest boostin

I've been keeping a log of km's vs litres on both the Legacy and the WRX.

The Legacy averages ~11.5L/100km, and on a trip up north last weekend it got 9.95L/100km. Not bad from a high boosting chipped EJ20G ECU I say!! The WRX is returning figures around 12.5L/100km, but it has got a shot oxygen sensor and is auto.

I can't say how many litres per tank as I never run them down.

Mostly stuck in the work traffic grind...gets about 11.6/100km

As for the octane questions..

Mum once put 91 in my GT by mistake, i couldnt even get near boost with hearing the poor motor det. Drove it home and drained it. Goes ok on 95 for the day to day boring drive to work, does use more juice too. Will occasionally det under very hard conditions.

Always run 98 when i can.

Zerobyte said:

Mum once put 91 in my GT by mistake, i couldnt even get near boost with hearing the poor motor det. Drove it home and drained it. Goes ok on 95 for the day to day boring drive to work, does use more juice too. Will occasionally det under very hard conditions.

well i never use 95 or 98 aye

never had a prob and so far done 130-135,000kms on 91

gtb36']

[quote name='Zerobyte said:

/quote]

Turbo or NA???

If turbo Frankly, I do not believe you then

subieboy']

[quote name='Zerobyte said:

/quote]

Turbo or NA???

If turbo Frankly, I do not believe you then

yep turbo and did 75-80,000kms of that in towing as well then towing a stock car so that over 2 1/5 tons so was booting most of the time..(riverdale to chch)

and never had a prob

dont care if you believe or not its true

gtb36 said:

yep turbo and did 75-80,000kms of that in towing as well then towing a stock car so that over 2 1/5 tons so was booting most of the time..(riverdale to chch)

and never had a prob

Just out of interest, have you ever tried filling with 98, resetting the ECU and then taking it for a thrash? Would be interesting to see if its pulled all the timing out or not.

My GTB (V3 STI ECU) gets about 12.5L/100km which is worse than my RS used to on my old tune. It also didn't change much when on a long distance roadtrip recently but I did do alot of twisty gravel road driving so fuel consumption was never going to be a factor.

(I also managed to use about 1/4 of a tank in 15km's yesterday in the RS ;D, used to use 1L/2km on the track but I suspect that has just gotten much worse)

Koom']

[quote name='gtb36 said:

and never had a prob

/quote]

Just out of interest, have you ever tried filling with 98, resetting the ECU and then taking it for a thrash? Would be interesting to see if its pulled all the timing out or not.

My GTB (V3 STI ECU) gets about 12.5L/100km which is worse than my RS used to on my old tune. It also didn't change much when on a long distance roadtrip recently but I did do alot of twisty gravel road driving so fuel consumption was never going to be a factor.

(I also managed to use about 1/4 of a tank in 15km's yesterday in the RS ;D, used to use 1L/2km on the track but I suspect that has just gotten much worse)

no but the 1st day i got it ,it did the bottom end so when i got new motor with stroker kits and all i run it in on 98 then when i did 11,000kms i re set ecu and run it on 91 runs mint and boots 1.3bar

Hailz said:

Man what is with people running 91 in there turbo subbies? We all know its no good for them and they were never designed to run it, so stop being tight pricks and shell out the extra $2 a tank and run 98!! ;D

well mate! if you been reading i been runing 91 in 2 suby now for 130-135,000kms on 91 and never miss a beat

and its not being a tight prick!!! at all

and if it true about 91 running my gtb at 1.3 bost it show up ..

but it runs mint!! :P

Hailz said:

Man what is with people running 91 in there turbo subbies? We all know its no good for them and they were never designed to run it, so stop being tight pricks and shell out the extra $2 a tank and run 98!! ;D

shell out the extra $2 a tank and run 98!! lol man you mst have a small tank :-* :-*

gtb36']

[quote name='Hailz said:

/quote]

shell out the extra $2 a tank and run 98!! lol man you mst have a small tank :-* :-*

Okay $5.00 then. Thats about the price of a bottle of water and a chocolate bar from a service centre?

driftrex said:

well went to whangamata last night, via thames, pauanui. in my 92 gt legacy auto, did 450kms to the full tank, with obviously some windy roads in there.

not too bad round the same as what my wrx does.

not bad that on 50lt's?

gtb36']

[quote name='driftrex said:

well went to whangamata last night, via thames, pauanui. in my 92 gt legacy auto, did 450kms to the full tank, with obviously some windy roads in there.

not too bad round the same as what my wrx does.

/quote]

not bad that on 50lt's?

not 100% sure what size tanks the legacys have, but i assume so.