• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ks per tank of gas

gtb36

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BG5 GTB (stock standard) and get just on 550km to a tank (thats going from filling tank right to the brim to the gas light coming on). Thats open road driving. Round town its about 100km less than that.

If I thrash it - I get about 200km to a tank. But thats closed stages thrashing - not on open public roads.

My RS Legacy rallycar does about 400km to a tank open road driving. Racing - under 200km typically.

When i drive econo style, i can get about 11.5L/100k. I hate driving like that, i normally get 12.5L when driving normally, and about 13-14 when going for a spirited drive down SH16. 12.5L/100K works out at 480KM per 60L, of 400ish per tank (you can't actually use the full 60L :P)

I've done Wellsford to albany, which is 75K on less than an 8th of a tank twice now, which is something silly like 10L/100K. Anyone who drives like that all the time should not be allowed a GTB! The whole trip saw me going over 0psi boost only on the ocasional hill, only 4 or 5 times, and never using more than a quater throttle... It's a good way to ruin 16 if you ask me, but if you got only an 8th of a tank, and the nearest 98 station is in albany... you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh, here's something interesting, i get better economy when i econo drive on the windy, and longer SH16, than i do on SH1. Yep, slow drivers kill your fuel economy.

Should also point out, this is all with an STi ECU and engine, not GTB. Slightly more aggressive tune ;)

Best I've had from my BH5 GTB is 8.7 L/100km over most of a tank - open road with plenty of hills, corners and overtaking , cruising around 105-110 the rest of the time. Did a road-trip from Cromwell to Taupo for the A1GP at the start of the year, total for that trip was 2686km from 246.8L - 9.19L/100km average, mostly driving with covering ground more in mind than fuel economy.

Obviously drinks a fair bit more round town/short trips and about 10-12% thirstier when I have to put 95 in it.

I keep telling myself that one day I'll try driving it as economically as I can to see what it can do, but it never happens.

ok mine works out at 9.63 and 9.64lts pre 100kms

iam with speedway so do a lot of driving to cromwell,dundin,chch and all over.

when i 1st got the car i was doing arond the 12l pre 100kms

so iam happy now in getting that i dont drive like a nana at all

Guest jakesternz
 GravelBen said:

Best I've had from my BH5 GTB is 8.7 L/100km over most of a tank - open road with plenty of hills, corners and overtaking , cruising around 105-110 the rest of the time. Did a road-trip from Cromwell to Taupo for the A1GP at the start of the year, total for that trip was 2686km from 246.8L - 9.19L/100km average, mostly driving with covering ground more in mind than fuel economy.

Obviously drinks a fair bit more round town/short trips and about 10-12% thirstier when I have to put 95 in it.

I keep telling myself that one day I'll try driving it as economically as I can to see what it can do, but it never happens.

Uses more on 95?? Is that because the engine is trying to compensate for not having enough RON??

720km/50L tank when driving the Impreza politely, and on the v4 ECU. About 600km/50L tank on the current v3 ECU that sh!ts flames out the exhaust from time to time. When driving it open road with feeling, more like 500km/tank.

The Legacy is a beast and guzzles about 400km/60L tank. Especially the way I go with auto turbos... "MOVE YA PIECE OF SH!T..." just to get the turbo to spool. (Impatient N/A driver ftw)

Yeah but it comes with a price...car is boring as hell to drive with tht ECU. For some obscure reason the power spikes at 5k rpm then dies, gives a slight spike again just before 6k rpm then you run into the redline. Torque is sh!t too. It guzzles far more on the older ECU, but it actually delivers decent power for a crappy old 20E.

Of course, the Legacy is far faster ;)

Shale said:

There is a significant difference (as with the gas mileage) - and as above, the power curve is garbage with the newer ECU. The differences are more significant when you're talking small power as it is. ;)

Oh noes!

It wouldnt make a significant difference as the car is slow anyways.

Just go for the best economy you can get Shale and use the legacies for power!

ODB']

[quote name='Shale said:

There is a significant difference (as with the gas mileage) - and as above, the power curve is garbage with the newer ECU. The differences are more significant when you're talking small power as it is. ;)

/quote]

Oh noes!

It wouldnt make a significant difference as the car is slow anyways.

Just go for the best economy you can get Shale and use the legacies for power!

yea that was my thinking behind it, if your driving nice you mite aswell drive nice on that ecu

but then if you want spirited driving swap the ecu, but thats way to much effort lol.

if you want to go for a spirited drive take the legacy lol?

Meh, the Legacy is a boat. In fact, there may be some pretty sweet pics of my passengers holding a paddle out the window from the last meet! ;D

Leggy is a cruiser and a commuter, the Impreza is the fun car (power or no; the roads I prefer are tight and twisty, and too much power can kill if used badly).

(Ninja edit: here's a cool thing. http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/economycalculator.html

The 720 nanna-drive is 14.4km/L, the drive it like a Subaru 600km/tank is 12km/L. Either way, can't complain :D)

its funny to me ppl say this 10-12% thirstier when I have to put 95 in it.

and dont run 91.

as i all was have run 91 in both my gtb and NEVER had a prob

my old gtb bg5 run on 91 from day one and i done 75-80,000kms

not a miss at all.. (motor had done 175,000km;s)when we did open motor up brockin cam belt piston and bor's was mint.. that gtb was thrshed but me all the time as will

Wiretap']

[quote name='jobbo said:

I have an RS30 B4 and i got 610kms to a tank....think it had a bit more to go as well!!

/quote]

on a 55 or 60L tank?

64L on those iirc

wow i had a few more Kms to go to that was on Mobil 98!!

Yeah, nah, don't run 91... ever. It's more likely to detonate under load than 95, and 98, and has the ability to cause big end bearing failure. It's not so much a problem if the car never sees boost, but when it does, things can go bang. You WILL get better fuel economy on 98 btw. Just keep in mind these cars are meant to be run on 100 octane!

I've heard of a brand new 09 STi blow it's big end bearings, cause the genius drove it round the track on 91.

I suggest you google octane ratings.

Drunkenmonkey said:

Yeah, nah, don't run 91... ever. It's more likely to detonate under load than 95, and 98, and has the ability to cause big end bearing failure. It's not so much a problem if the car never sees boost, but when it does, things can go bang. You WILL get better fuel economy on 98 btw. Just keep in mind these cars are meant to be run on 100 octane!

I've heard of a brand new 09 STi blow it's big end bearings, cause the genius drove it round the track on 91.

I suggest you google octane ratings.

well my old gb5 gtb was allwas on boost and run on 91 and did a lots of towing as well then towing a stock car so that over 2 1/5 tons

and never had a prob