Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

full exhaust for sti v7? 3inch 0r 2.5 ?

ROYALS STI

2.5 cuts down a lot on noise, and for factory (or a bit more) power levels would be fine. 3" is better for flow but get a good muffler so you aren't picked up for noisy exhaust issues by WOF's or traffic enforcement.

A medium approach would be having 3" off the turbo, into either a 2.5 or 3" mid section, then a 2.5" muffler. Better flow from turbo, but not a huge increase in noise.

Redline doing a full stainless 3 inch system for 600 bucks at the moment,out of stock at the moment but have been told thats very cheap,has a big rear muffler which you have to put that horrible looking insert in for a wof.Dont wont the car to loud just wont the power gains really.

imo a 2.5" full mandrel bent system is sufficient if you plan on doing only minor mods.

3" will net you higher peak gain and work with large scale mods ie changing turbos etc but with a smaller system you will have more lower down torque for factory turbos etc.

if its not a mandrel bent you are prob better keeping the factory item.

My ten cents worth....

Replacing the downpipe makes a big difference, but does increase boost levels (of course). Sound, however, stays the same, so I went for a sti genome muffler which increased power levels even more and the sound is incredible.

Don't recommend the $600 system from RLP, although they have sold 300 + of them.

Then, you get what you pay for...

I have a full 3" exhaust on my V7 from turbo back, although the muffler itself is 2.75". I needed three resonators to keep the car from being droney and loud. 2.5" is quieter and has a nicer note, but 3" to future-proof yourself if you plan on powering the car up.

on the stock turbo i have had a 3inch and 2.5 inch - didnt notice any difference in performance.

the 2.5 was bit quieter i suppose

if u like me and dont really plan to get into the whole turbo swap thing then 2.5 is better as it will get u same sort of gains for a lower price.

note that not all downpipes fit the v7 sti as the older model ones hit the steering knuckle so get something v7 specific

• 1 year later...

im planning on getting the RAGE 3 inch downpipe to replace stock. everything else is already 3 inch from previous owner. Is the Rage Product good ? Previous owner had everything Fujitsubo.

i have a 3 inch tbe, no cat, and it is loud. Usually drive it with the silencer in as not to attract too much attention and to pass warrants.

The worse part is the can on the back is probably close to 6 inch diameter, with a four inch tip. any very shiney - so it sticks out like dog nuts.

Whats a good brand (muffler only) replacement that is smaller and still in the canon style?? ((noting the earlier comment about the STi genome)

(sorry for the hi-jack)

i recommend the redline performance kit even ignoring the fact it's priced really cheap. i dunno about the downpipe, as i have a twisted setup, but the rest of it is really good. sounds awesome and isn't too loud, especially with only the one reso!!! vtnz wof'd it no worries

If you are worried about sound, then get exhaust made from mild steel. Stainless steel resonates alot more and gives you a rasper note. mild steel is a softer material so absorbs some of the sound on its way through. I have a rage 2.5 siamese down pipe with my own made 2.5" stainless system after that and it is very border line on being legel haha ( have had it tested tho ) , but sounds choice when its on song. I was very keen to try and make a titanium system but autobend said they couldn't bend the pipe I had :(