Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

new break pads

after running my pads down on the last track day - im in need of some new front pads...

2 questions

1 - where would i be able to get decent street pads for the occational track day - dont want competition pads as my car sees lot of street driving ..

2 - who can fit the pads for me - dont wana do a home job myself..

on a very tight budget so some lighter on the wallet type suggestions be really nice.

many thnaks in advance...

Bendix HD brake pads are ok reasonable priced from BNT with motul brake fluid 5.1 cost was about $80 all up that was 4 pot pads though

The HD brake pads, in my opinion, less cleaning of the rims, over the ultimates series from Bendix

if in Auckland would recommend "Highbrook Auto" East Tamaki for the install - else where .. wouldn't have a frigging clue.

Guest Fastfour

Bendix Ultimates would probably be your best bet. Good on the street and ok for the odd track day. Push fairly hard and they fade though.

WRXER']

I will definitely back ts2000's as a good pad ;)

but they cost heaps ... you wanted something on a budget.. but these are awesome pads.

[quote name='pappu said:

on a very tight budget so some lighter on the wallet type suggestions be really nice.

many thnaks in advance...

• General Member

+1 on the Ultimates in my humble opinion.

Never given my any hassles on the street, just a bit of fade late in the day at taupo but I had had my fun by then anyway.

Also +1 on DIY. Its not hard and its a great learning curve if your not usualy into doing your own mechanical stuff. Its a good start small project.

Depends on ur opinion of whats expensive, I thought they were heaps, but in comparison to the next step like endless pads, project mu's etc u are looking at $350-$450 a set whilst ts2000's are hell cheap for only $175 a set. I use to go with Ultimates but now only go for ts2000's, i find the extra cost is worth it IMO. :)

Now it's a toss up between project mu's or endless pads as I'm looking at the next level of track stuff.

• General Member
 WRXER said:

Depends on ur opinion of whats expensive, I thought they were heaps, but in comparison to the next step like endless pads, project mu's etc u are looking at $350-$450 a set whilst ts2000's are hell cheap for only $175 a set. I use to go with Ultimates but now only go for ts2000's, i find the extra cost is worth it IMO. :)

Now it's a toss up between project mu's or endless pads as I'm looking at the next level of track stuff.

What made you go the ts2000s over the Ultimates? Was it a street performance decision, track performance or a bit of both?

Im genuinley curios as I have heard a lot about them and am considering them when I do my next set of pads.

Mainly for track peformance I chose to go with Ts2000's as a good medium for both track and street, I had alot of recommendations for them through clubsub so thought I would go and try them out. :)

I found with the Ts2000's that I didn't have severe brake fade on the track whilst with the ultimates were ok but after 3-4 laps they were well cooked and easily locked up whilst the Ts2000's just kept on going. Also the ts2000's lasted alot longer too then the ultimates but then some could argue I might of not done a good run in period for the ultimates.

For street use, it wasn't recommended me by BNT to use Ts2000's but I've had no issues ever with using them even when I've had to put the brakes on very hard on occasion due to some muppet pulling out in front of me.

Also the ultimates were rediculously dusty lol got annoying my wheels turning back in a no time at all lol. I've also tried EBC greens on my first ever trackday and I'd would never go near those again at all.

Honestly with ts2000 pads and the toyo t1'rs I couldn't lock my wheels up on the track, I was amazed with how far I could push the brakes down. Im looking forwards to what the next level of semi-slicks with a good set of racing pads will be like.

Oh but there is a catch, they chew thru rotors alot quicker the Ts2000's. I go thru a set or two every year, but I just now find replacing with decend 2nd hand rotors off trademe is just as effective as the $500-$800 sets that are out there. Plus you'r not so shitty about destroying a set of $700 DBA slotted rotors.

question... i know the subaru brembos are 4 pot and so id the subaru branded calipers.... are they ther same pad?

I have some near new pads that came off a mates v7 sti brembo..

wud they fit my 4 pots..

PS. about changing them home - as long as i dot have to bleed the breaks should be ok..right? ::)

Glen said:

What part of Auckland are you in Pappu?

manukau bro....

but yea, anyone got any old subaru 4 pot pads (dead ones) that i can use to check to see if they measure up against the brembo pads - i think should be sweet but wana be sure..

i read in hot4's magzine once that they did the swap in a s15 (same as subaru 4 pots)

• General Member
 WRXER said:

Oh but there is a catch, they chew thru rotors alot quicker the Ts2000's. I go thru a set or two every year, but I just now find replacing with decend 2nd hand rotors off trademe is just as effective as the $500-$800 sets that are out there. Plus you'r not so shitty about destroying a set of $700 DBA slotted rotors.

Yeah I had heard that as well, so as I say I might just use the ts2000 for trackdays.

Plus I have a couple of spare sets of rotors im holding onto atm. Just gotta find where they are in the shed lol.

pappu']

[quote name='Glen said:

What part of Auckland are you in Pappu?

/quote]

manukau bro....

but yea, anyone got any old subaru 4 pot pads (dead ones) that i can use to check to see if they measure up against the brembo pads - i think should be sweet but wana be sure..

i read in hot4's magzine once that they did the swap in a s15 (same as subaru 4 pots)

nah bro subaru and brembo 4 pot calipers run a different pad

with my suby 4pots: about 7~10,000kms and 6 trackdays from bendix ultimates. dba drilled/slotted cracked on the first, i had the pads resurfaced and dba slotted's are doing fine with very little wear.

compromise i guess, pad dust or rotor wear. i'm happy with my braking, i dont push them more than i need to, i'm scared to overheat the rotors again

pappu said:

question... i know the subaru brembos are 4 pot and so id the subaru branded calipers.... are they ther same pad?

I have some near new pads that came off a mates v7 sti brembo..

wud they fit my 4 pots..

PS. about changing them home - as long as i dot have to bleed the breaks should be ok..right? ::)

Brembo pads are quite a bit bigger than the Subaru 4-pots.

NO to your 2nd Q.

You definitely should bleed the brakes and replace with fresh brake fluid when you change the pads.

If DIY, best get a mate to help you.

BTW TS2000's have gone up to $200+GST

:(