Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru STI smashes TT record

grim

SCCZEN_Subaru_WRX_STi_smashes_lap_460x23

A standard Subaru WRX STi sedan has smashed the long-standing road-car lap record for the 61km Isle of Man TT circuit.

Former British rally champion Mark Higgins posted a time of 19 minutes and 56.7 seconds at an average speed of 183km/h. He blasted through one section at 262km/h.

Higgins' time is more than two minutes faster than the previous record, set by the late Tony Pond 21 years ago in a Rover 827 Vitesse. Pond was the first to break the average 163km/h barrier in a road car.

Higgins had just one lap to set the record - TT organisers would not allow a practice run.

The WRX STi used unmodified brake callipers and ran on road-legal Pirelli P Zero Trofeo tyres. Springs and dampers were adjusted to cope with the bumps and jumps on the circuit.

The car was fitted with safety gear, including a roll cage, race harnesses and fire extinguisher. To warn spectators of its high-speed presence it was fitted with a high-decibel exhaust.

"Setting the record was both the most exhilarating and the most frightening thing I have ever done," Higgins said.

"The rules allow for a flying start so I crossed the line at 200km/h. I then went down through the Bray Hill junction - normally taken at about 35km/h - at over 240km/h.

"Once that tricky section was out of the way I settled into the lap and quickly got used to the balance and sheer pace of the car.

"In the end the lap was simply fantastic, and the WRX STi behaved impeccably. The engine pulled incredibly strongly throughout and the car's cornering capability proved crucial on such a twisty, unforgiving course."

The outright lap record on the TT course was set in 2009 by John McGuinness on a Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade motorcycle. McGuinness posted 17 minutes and 12.3 seconds, equivalent to an average 212km/h.

Source NZ Herald

Mattapo']

so,,,,,,,,what was hit time?

Former British rally champion Mark Higgins posted a time of 19 minutes and 56.7 seconds at an average speed of 183km/h. He blasted through one section at 262km/h.

[quote name='grim said:

To warn spectators of its high-speed presence it was fitted with a high-decibel exhaust.

Wonder if the NZ Police would accept that as an excuse?

LOLOL HOLY.. 6th gear tank slapper...

watch the camera in camera of him on the steering wheel... fark he was so close to losing it

"However, the attempt wasn't without its moments as the above video shows. A sixth gear tank slapper almost lead to Higgins and his Road & Track magazine passenger redecorating someone's living room at an approximate speed of 150MPH. Cool as a breeze, Higgins catches the car, downshifts to fifth and powers on again but not before sharing a joke with his passenger."

Even standing at the top of the hill with a good zoom on your camera at those speeds he would cover too much distance for any normal person to catch it all on film.

If there was cameras everywhere like the races we see on sundays we would get a good look.

Maby it should be done at the same time as the moterbike races they have every year as the whole island basically gets closed down for it then he could have a couple of goes at it and some awesome coverage.

And I think when he said its his second attempt he is including the "shake down" run used to collect data and help set up the car for the 100% run.

Any one find the full vid of this as the minute or so that I have seen only makes me want to see more.

subaru+closed roads+pro rally driver = the most fun anyone can ever have anywhere.

It was done during the TT (bike race) weekend as Subaru were sponsoring the TT and providing course cars etc. They had in-car cameras etc and American 'Road and Track' magazine were sponsoring as well so the full in-car video should be released at some stage.

He did two runs, the first an average of 113mph (182km/h) and the second 115mph (185km/h).

Incidentally the Rover that held the previous car record (they haven't let anybody try to break it until now) was rather non-standard, and used slicks as opposed to road legal tyres on the Subaru.

• General Member

all-good - wasn't having a go at you but also did not read article and don't trust journalists so take what they write wit ha grain of salt, the facts are important - what they pad it out with is not

• 3 weeks later...