Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommendations for new head unit

pl0x

Not a huge audio fan but always have to something playing back ground and do like to crank it up sometimes.

Sticking with factory speakers (2002 legacy), maybe get a sub if speakers dont do enough bass, needs ipod input/control (usb to the back preferred) & aux input

Thoughts on what to go for (as always want something cheap/on special :P)

If if it's getting up near $300 id rather just go for one of these:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,23534.0.html

• 2 weeks later...
 calibre said:

Cant go wrong with something like this if you are wanting cheap, Pioneer are usually pretty solid,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/cd-players/pioneer/auction-404116727.htm

I wouldn't buy a second hand head unit personally, unless you are talking top end gear.

The 6350sd or 8350sd are better units. Looking on trademe the 6350sd can be had for $259 - a good buy. I got mine just under $300.

spark_38']

[quote name='calibre said:

Cant go wrong with something like this if you are wanting cheap, Pioneer are usually pretty solid,

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/cd-players/pioneer/auction-404116727.htm[/url]

I wouldn't buy a second hand head unit personally, unless you are talking top end gear.

The 6350sd or 8350sd are better units. Looking on trademe the 6350sd can be had for $259 - a good buy. I got mine just under $300.

OK, I only had a quick look, if thats the case and you can stretch to the above its all gravy. But the OP did say he wanted to spend well below $300.

If you decide to step things up a notch on a budget, I recently upgraded my whole system. I have a 12" Kenwood sub boxed (uncarpeted) with another 12" custom box to fit a BP wagon under floor (if required) 50w rms x 4 Kenwood amp, and some near new Pioneer 6x9's. Could sell the lot for $250 ono? all pretty decent gear in good nik. None of it been advertised on Tardme yet, but if anyone is keen, I'm up for bypassing selling fees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
 Flippymoi said:

Alpine is very good but a bit more expensive for the same features found in pioneer. I think sony is a bit harder to use.

Alpine used to be the best, 5-10 years ago. Pioneer is good bang for buck but hard to use. Sony now lead the way for head units. I have owned all three and now own a sony DSX s300btx. The sound quality improved so much from what I had before. I was going to install a sub and new speakers but I honestly do not think I need to now.

The sonys have the best bluetooth streaming quality, compared to JVC and pioneer. (Makes sense as sony invented it.)

I installed this in a 2001 BH5. Would thoroughly reccommend Sony these days. You can get a cheaper model too, and Sony are the only ones at the moment to my knowledge to have an internal dock for you ipod. And it works really well.

I have been into this stuff for 10 years now and I can honestly say that this unit surpassed my expectations like nothing else.

Happy to provide some tips for install if needed.

calibre said:

have to agree with that, never been impressed with Sony even the 'higher end' stuff, would take Alpine any day.

A year ago I would have said the same but their new stuff will blow you away. Rapid radio are recommending them to most people and those guys know their sh#$.

Who says Pioneer are hard to use? In fact they are amongst the easiest to use, and the menus are really well thought out. Well the 6 series models and above anyway.

Stock Legacy speakers are likely to look like this, so I'd be looking at replacing them - at least the fronts anyway.

303207_10150428320463993_530188992_10161

Flippymoi']

have to agree with that, never been impressed with Sony even the 'higher end' stuff, would take Alpine any day.

/quote]

A year ago I would have said the same but their new stuff will blow you away. Rapid radio are recommending them to most people and those guys know their sh#$.

interesting, what models do they rate? I have the Alpine X305s and haven't seen anything from Sony or any other brands that comes close to it for functionality and (with the Imprint add-on) sound quality, but I'm always keen to see the latest and greatest.

calibre']

/quote]

interesting, what models do they rate? I have the Alpine X305s and haven't seen anything from Sony or any other brands that comes close to it for functionality and (with the Imprint add-on) sound quality, but I'm always keen to see the latest and greatest.

http://www.sony.co.nz/product/dsx-s300btx

this is the one I got, although all the DSX range should have the same sound quality. They have this DM+ thing which adds back the lost sound in compressed audio like Ipod etc. No idea how it works but if you set the unit up well it sounds amazing. And really, I have been dead against Sony for years. Always a Pioneer or Alpine man, but this new line has me totally sold.

I am begining to sound like a sony sales rep so will leave it there. Head to rapid radio though and compare, I think you will be surprised compared to the sony of a couple of years ago.

Flippymoi']

/quote]

Sony might be handing incentives to sales guys to push their product but if you found something that works Im all for it bro especially since it adds back to compressed audio all the frequencies lost wonder how that works

johnny5']

/quote]

Sony might be handing incentives to sales guys to push their product but if you found something that works Im all for it bro especially since it adds back to compressed audio all the frequencies lost wonder how that works

Probably similar to how some brands have directional RCA's, the signal can degrade if plugged around the wrong way.

• Admin

Directional RCAs make me lulz... most of them are complete BS, a few very rare ones have a single-ended shield where, when connected correctly, the shield is only connected at the source end so all RFI/EMI should sink through the source negative rather than the amplifier's...

G-unit said:

ill be going for a sony headunit when i buy 1, had a JVC in old car and was a c@#t 2 use was 1 of there newer models

Yup always have been cunts to bro get th one flippy is talking bout sounds alright clarion also aint to bad either I reckon

I just bought a new headunit for my 02 GT30, decided to go double din as it looked more stock. Got a JVC KW-XR816 from Norman Ross in Auckland (they will give you a good deal) and so far its working really well.

http://www.jvc.co.nz/KW-XR816.html

Big improvement from stock headunit. Re did the front speakers with kicker components as well.

If you dont want to spend to much you could get the XR616 which is pretty much the same but doesnt have bluetooth built in. I can post pics of what it looks like installed if you want.