Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Advice on best door speakers for v7 sti

chappell943

As title says I am wanting some advice on the best door speaker for a v7 sti, I am into a variety of music but often find the drum and bass and dubstep being the music that really gets turned up. Don't really have a budget but obviously don't want to be spending too much. In my old car I just had a set of Sony 6.5" speakers which were okay but want something with a bit more bass and mid range kick to it. Thanks

It is best to audition speakers on a comparator, everyone prefers a different sound. They will sound different in the car too.

Do you like a sharp crisp sound? If so Pioneer, JBL, Alpine, Infinity, DD. i.e. most american/japanese brands.

Or a smoother sound? Not as harsh/bright. Go for european brands: DLS, Rainbow, MB Quart, Vifa, etc...

Also are you amping them separately? Or sound deadening the doors? Factory speakers are most like components too. So you want to be looking at component speakers.

$200-ish will get you the Pioneer, DD, Infinity components depending on where you based... the european ones will cost a lot more.

The $200-ish speakers only need around 60-75W RMS to sound good too, not too much power.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-403564528.htm

Sell the 6x9's though... or if you're local I can sell you mine (currently in car) - you can hear them first and see if you like

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-403562103.htm

I found it a PITA to get good speakers to fit in my V7. Either they were too deep and the magnets were too big and fouled on the window, or to clear the window I mounted them out a bit but then they were too far out and fouled on the door card.

Now I've got a set of Infinity components (3060CS, around the $200 mark) mounted on some 10mm MDF (they won't mount into factory spacers), and these seem to fit perfectly.

Run off a 2 channel amp and they sound pretty good.. good enough for me anyway. In any other car (older Impreza's, Legacy's etc) I could get bigger speakers in, but the door cards of the V7's are quite slimline so you can't fit a great deal of speakers in there (unless you went uber and got ones with neo magnets, but they are mega $$).

So that's my recommendation anyway

I wonder if the door cards differ though between normal wrx/sti and spec c?

Perhaps your ones are slimmer lighter ones? I recall Simon's almost being featherweight light...

I haven't had any issues with either Alpine Type-R (SPR-17S) or Pioneer (TS-D1720C). Both fit using the stock plastic spacers in my GC8 Impreza.

They will both fit, but may not fit the factory spacers, expect to have to make some MDF spacers if required. If it was me I'd go with the infinity's purely for fitment issues, however the DD's will a better speaker.

Are you fussed about new or 2nd hand, as these would be better

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-402142725.htm

otherwise these ones

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-403005698.htm

Components are ALWAYS far better than 2-ways.

Or these... they may actually fit the factory spacers:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-403187124.htm

• Admin
 kwi_fozze said:

I'm a biiig fan of infinity's, best speakers hands down. Crisp, clear sound, and the quality is insane...

o___________O

Some very liberal use of the word 'best' in this thread.

The 'best' door speakers for a V7 are probably something from the DLS Ultimate line with neo magnets on the bass drivers. Prices should start right around $2000 a set.

Scoobydoo said:

They will both fit, but may not fit the factory spacers, expect to have to make some MDF spacers if required. If it was me I'd go with the infinity's purely for fitment issues, however the DD's will a better speaker.

Are you fussed about new or 2nd hand, as these would be better

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-402142725.htm

otherwise these ones

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-403005698.htm

Components are ALWAYS far better than 2-ways.

Or these... they may actually fit the factory spacers:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-403187124.htm

The first ones are Infinity 6010cs components, I've used these previously in the wagon - good speakers for the price, and they come with the Subaru speaker mounts too. ($4 each at pick a part).

Haven't tried the Infinity 6020cs....

The third Pioneer TS-A comp's, you could get the TS-D comps for same price thru Abtec. The D series seem to be better quality over the A. I seem to be a fan of Pioneer's D series, have both the 2-way's and the components.

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='newsuba said:

Dang Paul, putting all those big speakers in will just ruin the power-to-weight ratio of your Spec C and make it slower than a stock STI v7.

;D

/quote]

LOL this thread isn't about my car... is it?

Don't go OT :P

I'm sure the Infinity speakers are much smaller than the Pioneer PRS, by comparison

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had this same mish but wantd good sound setup as I love my music lol. Anything behind a plastic V7/8 door card will strugle to sound super nice but yeah I ended up having to go with pods >:( but were definitly worth the money if you want good sound/decent size woofer and intend to run them off an amp.

Just incase you wana spend the money :). Cost me $819 ish installed (just checked recipt lol in January)

dsc03120hg.jpg

marc said:

I had this same mish but wantd good sound setup as I love my music lol. Anything behind a plastic V7/8 door card will strugle to sound super nice but yeah I ended up having to go with pods >:( but were definitly worth the money if you want good sound/decent size woofer and intend to run them off an amp.

Just incase you wana spend the money :). Cost me $819 ish installed (just checked recipt lol in January)

dsc03120hg.jpg

That looks great

I'd say most of the cost would've been the labour in making the custom pods. But yes that does look good.

I'm assuming the door cards have been cut behind to allow clearance for the magnets? That's something I wasn't willing to do in mine, otherwise I would've had the speakers sticking out too far and probably hitting me / passengers in the legs!

Also I wanted more of a stealth install, but each to their own.

Who did the work?

Thanks guys :) lol. Yeah I have my old door cards sitting in the shed. Picked up two front ones off a STI being parted out for $25 ea so all good ;D. As yes they were going to and did cut the door cards.

The speakers back then were $399 so yeh fair bit labour but not too bad as I saw there was definitly abit of work involved. I chose the colour etc

I wanted stealth aswell but in reality they almost look factory (look better then the pics). kinda like how the version 9 cards protrude where the speaker sits. Tweeters are nice and highly mounted for good "sound stage" + blend in very well. The crossovers are mounted behind the cards as def wasnt going for a "wow look at me" install ither.

Till you point them out you dont even really click the doors have a custom speaker install.

Could be done for less now days tho as checking on t.m the price of the speakers has come down

Oh and done by Rapid Radio in Auckland

spark_38 said:

It's also the best way to get more midbass from the woofers - those that complain about speakers sounding 'tinny', using the stock plastic spacers will result in that.

I've heard good things about Rapid Radio.

Are those the PRS or TS-D comp's?

They are TS-D1720C, were descibed best bang for buck if you can fit them by another mate in the industry so went with them and Rapid supported that theory lol.

I 100% agree too, I know good sound and these definitly porduce good quality sound plus ill be deaf by the time these distort, Ive had them as loud as I feel comfortable with (without damaging my hearing I think lol) and they are still crystal clear. Being powered off a late model Alpine V12 (awesome speaker amp) and 16 gauge cable to all the doors. They even put a 30cm X 30cm square of Dynamat on the inside door skin ;D. Reccomended inner skin completeley and then small amount on outer skin but was like another $300 so flaged that lol

Pioneer%20TS-D1720C.JPG

nengun-121261-00-alpine-unused_4ch_ampli

Yeah?? thats a damn good price lol :'(. The cost of time lol, Obviously some1 is still trying to make a profit in the link below lol but according to this guy they were once $449 ?!!! lol. Scoping t.m best I could find is $200 but thats still half price. I was shocked after looking just thought to myself hey ill check trademe now days nd was like dam but ive had 9 months good sound so all g i spoze lol

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-413955968.htm

Yeah running mine from the front channels of a E-Audio 480AB. Still go bloody loud, high passed at 100Hz. Almost too loud, but very clear sound.

I've only got Dynamat inner bottom of doors behind speakers, still improve mid-bass response, nonetheless.

The tweeters are a little bit 'bright' for my liking though.

$199 new from Abtec (onlinecaraudio) or $299 with the matching 6x9 co-axials seems to be the price these days for them.