Jump to content
Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

JDM Pinks vs RCE Yellow/Black


Recommended Posts

Ok so after some angry conversations with my mechanical insurance provider turns out im not allowed adjustable suspension so i'm back to square one.

I am however allowed to get lowering suspension.

The best option that I can tell is to get V8 springs for my V7 due to the better spring rates.

To do so I have found out that I need to upgrade the rear strut tops to Group N tops and get Scooby spacers. (or something similar)

Provided this is correct (can someone verify please?),

I need to choose springs.

So I was thinking either

JDM Pink STi Springs 252/217 Approx 20mm drop

RCE Blacks 285/269 Approx 15F/10R drop

RCE Yellows 295/275 Approx 23F/15R drop

Thoughts? Are these ok on stock STi struts? Anyone got these in their rides?

Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 reaperblitz said:

I thought mechanical warranty was only for parts on the engine and corresponding. Suspension and brakes not included

"There is no cover for any vehicle that is modified in any way from the manufacturer’s

standard specification after the Policy has been issued unless they are advised to

us in writing and we agree to insure the modified vehicle under this Policy."

So yes you are correct it doesnt cover springs etc but adjustables would still void the policy. I have been given approval for regular lower springs just not adjustables.

Back OT.

Can anyone help me out re queries from first post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 wrx_lou said:

As already asked, how long id your warranty? If its not that far out then keep saving and when it expires you can do a whole heap of things. Alternatively spend as little as possible and compress the springs and shorten the shocks.

Yeah I only just bought the car so still as like 2 years 8 months to run.

Shortening the shocks and compressing the springs isn't accepted under warranty either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, just to make it clear.

You already have sti shocks and springs though you just want to lower it.

You are willing to give up ride comfort for road handling.

Are you able to get sway bars and the such strut bracing.

Imo, springs on their own will be a good fix for the meantime but inevitably be just a waste of money if you want to get adjustables in the end.

What is your budget for adjustables (if you were allowed them). It makes a big difference as there are other options available.

Are damper adjustables allowed? I.e not ride height?

An example could be Teins as they come lowered already as the shock body is larger hence the ability to damper slightly better but only are damper adjustable which can give you a firmer ride. (Scarce items though)

Or are they so picky you cant have any form of adjustable.

If you are keen, you could always go get the replacement Kyb setups which is OEM replacement but can be configured to your own requirements. (Shock shops can advise you of other brands that do it, i.e bilstein, tein)

None adjustable shocks but straight out of the box newer/stiffer/ etc then get corresponding springs to your liking fit to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 reaperblitz said:

Ok, just to make it clear.

You already have sti shocks and springs though you just want to lower it.

You are willing to give up ride comfort for road handling.

Are you able to get sway bars and the such strut bracing.

Imo, springs on their own will be a good fix for the meantime but inevitably be just a waste of money if you want to get adjustables in the end.

What is your budget for adjustables (if you were allowed them). It makes a big difference as there are other options available.

Are damper adjustables allowed? I.e not ride height?

An example could be Teins as they come lowered already as the shock body is larger hence the ability to damper slightly better but only are damper adjustable which can give you a firmer ride. (Scarce items though)

Or are they so picky you cant have any form of adjustable.

If you are keen, you could always go get the replacement Kyb setups which is OEM replacement but can be configured to your own requirements. (Shock shops can advise you of other brands that do it, i.e bilstein, tein)

None adjustable shocks but straight out of the box newer/stiffer/ etc then get corresponding springs to your liking fit to them.

Not allowed any form of adjustable. :(

Was going to go with the Fortune 500 series coilovers.

Upgrading all the struts is way too expensive given i will eventually upgrade to coilovers anyway.

Just gonna go with RCE Yellows i think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here is sti pinks amd matching pink shocks

loweres it very nicely

AND

remains fully leagal on the count of its v7 ststock suspention

does not muck up handling geometry (in fact better handling)

and its matching springs and shocks

a winning combo by all counts

tires are standard 225/45/17

no rubs and decent height with zero wof/cop/insurance hassle

finals4.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo1.jpg

PS. full set possibly for sale

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 pappu said:

here is sti pinks amd matching pink shocks

loweres it very nicely

AND

remains fully leagal on the count of its v7 ststock suspention

does not muck up handling geometry (in fact better handling)

and its matching springs and shocks

a winning combo by all counts

tires are standard 225/45/17

no rubs and decent height with zero wof/cop/insurance hassle

PS. full set possibly for sale

Are they V7 or V8 springs though? because the V7 pink rates and very similar to stock i am told? (i.e. dont increase handling much?)

Is it not legal to put group n tops on with spacers or something?

STi pink struts you mean? As in what i would already have in my car?

Would i not get the fabled saggy butt effect putting sedan springs into a wagon without spacers?

Appreciate the input pappu

Aaron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its full sti pink (not the stock v7 sti but off the sti catalogue) shocks and springs set

basically matched set together by sti

no top had changes or spaces were needed as its a GDB v7-8 fitment straight off

i dunnot the spring rates to be honest but its a step up from the stock sti ones i used to have

the stock ones had 3 finger between tire and guard and now its down to 1 finger

suits me as still on the legal side and no rubbing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 pappu said:

its full sti pink (not the stock v7 sti but off the sti catalogue) shocks and springs set

basically matched set together by sti

no top had changes or spaces were needed as its a GDB v7-8 fitment straight off

i dunnot the spring rates to be honest but its a step up from the stock sti ones i used to have

the stock ones had 3 finger between tire and guard and now its down to 1 finger

suits me as still on the legal side and no rubbing

How much you looking for?

Will I have any issues being a sedan shock/spring going into a wagon? Maybe need to get a spacer or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 pappu said:

we fitted wagon struts in sedan and had wheel allignment and everything was in spec

they are wagon struts? minter.

o well let me know if you intend on selling and how much

otherwise can you point me in the direction of ordering said parts myself?

thanks mate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 pappu said:

no i meant once upon a time some years ago we fitted wagon struts in sedan and vice versa (swap deal)

and after wheel allignment all was in spec

no issues with wagon saggy butt?

ok allgood man - still keen to buy them if thats the case (price dependant)

otherwise as mentioned above can you point me in the right direction to order myself?

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
 Simon C said:

If you want better handling, just get some upgraded Whiteline front and rear sway bars. Makes much more difference to your handling than springs, and won't detract from ride comfort.

I just bought a 23mm rear swaybar for my V7, would you recommend doing the front as well? I wanted to make the handling more neutral (reduce understeer) and my understanding was that increasing the rear vs. the front would do that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its personal preference at end of the day. As a general rule the larger rear will start to make it more oversteery all other factors constant.

In general a larger car warrants larger bars. what i mean is generally GD chassis can go a couple of mm larger than GC for similar effect.

Put the 23mm bar and see how it feels for you. you cant damage anything - and imo should be about the right size without looking at the specifics of the rest of your set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...