Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mazda Atenza, Anyone got one?

• General Member

I'm considering upgrading my Altezza at the end of the year and have been looking into Mazda Atenza wagons.

Has anyone on here owned one? Or got any significant insight into them?

I am also looking at a 3l Legacy or possibly a newer Altezza or a Euro R accord. Budget would be up around 10-16k, no turbos and 3l would be absolute highest Capacity engine considered just in case people decide to offer options as normally happens in these threads lol.

Friend in chch has one. Looks sick on nice wheels and lowered. He's done nothing (that i know of?) to the engine and has had no complaints at all.

nice car i reckon. the euro R accords are also really nice, although they have quite a bit less room than something like the mazda wagon.

• General Member

The Euro R was on the table as an option when I got my Altezza hence why I am considering them again now. I have never owned a wagon though and I am pretty keen for one now for the extra space to haul stuff around.

Whatever I buy will not be modified in anyway under the bonnet. Some rims and tints at most.

Johnnynz said:

I'm considering upgrading my Altezza at the end of the year and have been looking into Mazda Atenza wagons.

I am also looking at a 3l Legacy or possibly a newer Altezza or a Euro R accord. Budget would be up around 10-16k, no turbos and 3l would be absolute highest Capacity engine considered just in case people decide to offer options as normally happens in these threads lol.

I had one for my last work wagon, costs $130ish to fill up, they need 95 or 98 so not the cheapest, use to get 500-600 depending on open road vs town driving with air con on 100% of the time n me smashing it with my heavy foot.

Cool car though with lots of space, get one with the sports springs n Bose stereo ftw!!

Other option is a Toyota avensis? Slightly less power n cheaper to run, look cool on 19s too. I've got one n done 220000ks n only had to replace one wheel bearing!

• General Member
 grego0o']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

/quote]

I had one for my last work wagon, costs $130ish to fill up, they need 95 or 98 so not the cheapest, use to get 500-600 depending on open road vs town driving with air con on 100% of the time n me smashing it with my heavy foot.

Cool car though with lots of space, get one with the sports springs n Bose stereo ftw!!

Other option is a Toyota avensis? Slightly less power n cheaper to run, look cool on 19s too. I've got one n done 220000ks n only had to replace one wheel bearing!

Cheers for the info, sounds like cost to fill and gas usage is comparable to my Tezz. Costs about $120 to fill up with 95 and gets comparable kms.

Never seen an Avensis, to Trademe I go lol. Not so keen on less power though. I have a heavy foot and like to indulge on the tight and twistys I come across in my work travels. The Altezza has been a perfect middle ground for me and the business, but some more space would be good.

grego0o']

/quote]

Interesting that you say they need 95 to run, I have a NZ delivered Mazda 6 for a company car and it uses 91...

From my perspective:

Good bits

Nice car

Looks nice

Bigger than Falcodore inside

Some good kit

Drives OK

Handles OK

Gets good milage (regularly over 600Km in town driving...)

Tows OK...

The manual activation on Auto box is better than Auto box (see Poos bits)

Being able to drop the back seats down via the boot

Wagons have only 1 seat back positioning... (My old GTB has 3 settings...)

Has Isofix points

Dual climate control

some other stuff...

I dont have to pay for it or the petrol...

Poos bits

f**king dumb little cubbie hole by drivers door - you knock that little f**ker every time you get out if it is not perfectly closed

I f**king HAAATTTEEEEEE the traction control - it kills everything, power, traction gearing - total pain in arse when dry/wet/turning/farting/most times...

I f**king HAAATTTEEEEEE the auto's logic control (Incl the manual activation, it takes like a good 2 seconds before it wakes up that you want to go forward faster... then you go manual and gear up and it takes another 1 1/2 seconds to wake up some more...)

stupid cargo blind/privacy screen for the boot - it has this bloody big metal thing for the cargo blind... very cumbersome...

subieboy']

/quote]

Interesting that you say they need 95 to run, I have a NZ delivered Mazda 6 for a company car and it uses 91...

All our company mazdas are imports and Mazda themselves suggested using 95 or 98 in them, might be differentto Nz new? I heard the Nz new ones are only 2.0l not 2.3 like the imports but have never bothered to look it up?

Johnnynz said:

Lol Subieboy, most of those poos bits I am ok with. Slushbox sounds disappointing however.

Definitely sounds like I should arrange a testdrive.

Gotta be honest tho the traction control is poos and hte auto slushie is not that bad most times, only when you need to have a go at actually driving it in a hurry...

But seriously that stupid little cubby hole/coin box GGGGGGRGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

And when you think about it its not that bad innit?

grego0o said:

I heard the Nz new ones are only 2.0l not 2.3 like the imports but have never bothered to look it up?

Depends on the model.

They had some base models with 2.0L, most were 2.3L

Latest ones are 2.0L or 2.5L

Decent enough cars but with a few irksome "features" as Tony mentioned.

Accord Euros are nicer to drive.

• General Member

Euro Accord is definitely on the considered list still, I'm just really keen on a wagon. If I'm not getting a wagon I might stick with the Altezza, I am still surprised at how much I enjoy it for a car I only brought with the intent if flicking for a profit very quickly.

I'm dealing with the Altezza slushbox now so another slushbox isn't to big of a worry to me, and don't get me started on Toyota Traction control I keep forgetting I have it and its almost seen me in a few bad spots because it decides to kick in when its to late. It also has a habit of kicking in at super low speed if there's a little patch of stones on the road. So sounds about the same as the Atenza.

• General Member
 newsuba said:

You can get Accord Euro wagons, they are pretty fugly.

Got it in one... I am an absolute caveman when it comes to interiors, plastic doesn't bother me and interiors most people like I detest. But I like my cars to look a little cool on the outside at least.

GorGasmSpecB said:

No one voting for the legacy 3.0R wagon?? Pretty damned good car TBH.

Good looking, good chassis, good engine, reasonable gearbox...

definately worth while putting it on the test drive list. Depends what johnny wants but the 2.0t is actually more fuel efficient that the 3.0r, the 3.0 is more cruisey though. worth driving to compare the chassis / drive to other models.

madmike said:

Stop botherassing about big J...

Get a SV6 wagon...

You know you want to.

economical ^^^

+1 on the avensis i love the factory look of them flagship models.

the mazdas dont seem to blow up or have any major problems mechanically from parts i sell but everyone reckons theyre gutless as. good to see youre looking at atenza not 6. 6's imo are freakishly ugly.

Johnnynz']

3l Legacy wagon is still top of the list guys :)

But it would be silly of me not to size up all otions. Plus the 3l is slightly bigger than I want to go, and the N/A 2l Legacy wagons feel gutless.

[quote name='funkytown said:

.... Depends what johnny wants but the 2.0turbo is actually more fuel efficient that the 3.0r, the 3.0 is more cruisey though.....

• General Member

Ah thought you said N/A, I'm on a strict no turbo crusade for my daily. I dont want the hassle of the extra mechanics that come with it.

But I still want a little power hence why I will consider up to 3l.

I had an atenza for work for abit. got rid of it cos it cost too much to run.

Plus you had to ring its neck to make it move.

Didint like it one bit.

Then I got a focus...that was ok for a 1.6 pet auto. Went ok. good options for the base model plenty of room. A mondeo turbo diesel...now that i would have. 1000kms to a tank, grunty as all hell.