Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Coilovers Certification

lowandy

Hey guys,

Im going to be chucking in my coilovers and thinking of going for a cert, coilovers will be the only thing im certifying and have a couple of questions.

1. What is the cert process for coilovers?

2. How can i fail the cert for coilovers?

3. Will they just look at the coilovers or do will they pick up other stuff like in a wof?

Thanks heaps

• Admin

It depends on the certifier, but some of them will do more or less a really stringent WoF check. My Surf failed for rust in the rear bumper when it was getting certed for an engine swap.

And yeah, you get +/- 5% on the certed height, so think about where you want it. Ideally you would set it in the middle of your road height and track height, if you plan on having such a thing.

Thanks guys for the feedback, im looking to go really low, roughly 40-70mm off the ground.

Does anyone know of any laidback (not as in dodgy) certifiers in auckland, as im not keen to fix a whole bunch of stuff? And i have heard there are some really dickhead ones in auckland.

dacerx said:

Wouldn't that be under legal height then?

depends where you measure 40-70mm from :P

has to be structural to count. Im sure i read somewhere that a rear diff can be about 80mm off the ground (not legally read, but the point that the rear diff wasnt considered structural so didnt count in the 100mm legal bit or something).

tl:dr stupid rules are stupid.

Lower it so it's scrapping bird shit off the road, fail

Cert then keep going back with it raised 10mm at a time, he will soon give up about 3rd time around and pass it. I have seen some crazy low cars legit certed

BLAZD said:

Lower it so it's scrapping bird s*** off the road, fail

Cert then keep going back with it raised 10mm at a time, he will soon give up about 3rd time around and pass it. I have seen some crazy low cars legit certed

interesting view, not one condoned by CS or a method we want to associate with

BLAZD said:

ahah yea might be the plan, im going to stance my car (low + flush fitment) so it will be interesting :D

As part of the process the car will be driven on a road around corners, there are things it needs to do and things it needs to not do. My car is certed at around 80mm chassis, but thats because it passed the handling test

funkytown']

[quote name='BLAZD said:

/quote]

Lol

Or

Get a roll cage/graphics/hugepointlessgtwing and claim racecar,then camber and lower till the cows come home!

BLAZD']

[quote name='BLAZD said:

/quote]

Lol

Or

Get a roll cage/graphics/hugepointlessgtwing and claim racecar,then camber and lower till the cows come home!

Or i could go the cheaper option and just get it certed as a road car :P ;D

does the gearbox crossmember count as structual??

i can slide a 100mm (RHS) steel block under my car (on flat concrete surface) but the g/box crossmember is the only thing that it touches by 10mm or so..

oh & does stiffness count too? :D