Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mates evo..... :/

1 subi 1

Hae guys, my mates evo 4 is spitting oil out the top, we think it may be the filler cap seal is rooted but not to sure, also has quiet abit of oil in intake, and spits oil out of the bov.... Bov is quiet old and probably should be replaced. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

• General Member
 Marky said:

Smaaaashed pistonnnn / ringland

Too much boosty boosty

Oil is trying to come out because the sump is getting pressurised

Best advice: lower boost be nice to it save for a new motor or rebuild

read it : get to terms with it and open your/his wallet

Local guy bought a car off another really smart local chap and he couldnt work out why oil was coming out everywhere. First dude had plumbed catch can into the pressurized side... :-\

Marky means too much boosty at some point not right now. Hes pretty much the mitzi master on here and pretty good with no.8 wire.

Yeah I told him not to buy it, last owner was going on about how evos could safely run 28 pound on standard engine, he was running 28 pound for rally. Should\'ve taken my advice, could\'ve gotten a nice subaru for the same price, but ahwell, his fault for buying evo ha. And yeah it\'s goin to get exspensive :)

I is far from expert but I have blown up a lot of things haha

The oil wont force its way out all by itself. Something is forcing it. That something is most likely combustion pressure slipping into the block from inside cylinder.

It might last for ages like this, but its on its way out. Bov is not at fault, and the fact its pumping oil into the intake means its not just the cap, but the crankcase getting under pressure.

To be fair I know of uh, lots, of cars with enough blowby to make the dipstick fly out. Solution, tie it down hahaha

Its the car equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalalaaa - the problem isn\'t solved but the symptoms are, just keep fanging it till a rod pops out if you want.

This is how cars get bad names, those motors will take years of abuse but not if people decide to see what happens with ridiculous boost

Marky said:

I is far from expert but I have blown up a lot of things haha

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Tell your mate to mount a cuppla Go Pro cameras under the bonnet so he gets footage from 2 angles when it finally does go pop and throw a leg out of bed! Post links to video on Club Sub so we all can see!

Don\'t know much about mitsis but had a mate a few years back who bought an evo5. Wound the boost up to 24-26psi and absolutely rooted the engine, cracked/melted pistons etc etc etc. He was a trainee mechanic and had a good mechanical warranty. Rebuilt engine and carried on. The point though, mitsis cannot run that much (28psi etc) boost safely. Shit, any turbo car can run 50psi safely, for a few seconds, lol.

Painful thing is they can take it with a tune and good fuel to suit - some of the guys in the states are pushing stock block motors upwards of 40psi with water/meth etc etc, stock turbo-ed cars running 10 sec 1/4s. They are massively strong engines but you can\'t fix stupid.

Blows me away

However like "that one integra on youtubes that revs to 10k bro" there\'s a bit more to it than just removing all the safeguards and going for it cuz

• Admin
 mbb said:

My 2 cents

What if the boost actuator went faulty because *surprise* its an evo 4. That screwed up boost levels and has in turn as the members have said.. melted piston etc boosty boosty too much

It would have thrown a CEL very quickly.

I think the chances of it being raped by morons are much higher than a faulty wastegate.

Cackle how people say mitzi are shit, always break, shit parts etc when a hell of a lot of electrical components are mitzi do your research...theyre a bit like nippon denso they dont just supply parts for toyota.

And if its only running 10psi its probably got a g unit ningnang spec external ow.

mbb said:

My 2 cents

What if the boost actuator went faulty because *surprise* its an evo 4. That screwed up boost levels and has in turn as the members have said.. melted piston etc boosty boosty too much

You do know that evo 4, 5 and 6 use the same actuator right? Just coz its a 4 doesnt automatically mean it got s*** everything. Evo 4, 5 and 6 have the same gear box and diff and almost everything else (apart from brembos) but a lot of people dont know that.

Nope same turbos (td05 16g), evo 4 just has slightly smaller rear housing which really doesnt make any difference coz i tried the larger evo 5 and 6 rear housing (which is a straight fit) and didnt make any noticeable power difference.....maybe 5kw more lol

evowrx said:

Everything I had read on evo 4 5 6 pointed to diff turbos and then tommi ed. being special comp wheel. Internet makes good gospel though. You\'ve been doing real world research tho. Whats quickest time to date?

Tommie ed has titanium shaft which helps in faster spool but breaks quite easily if pushed so i wouldnt want one, only difference between 4, 5 and 6 turbo is 4 has 9.5t rear housing and 5 to 6 has 10.5t housing and thats it their all pretty much the same apart from that.