Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need help on Car Secuirty

When i get my car fixed up. I\'m just wondering whats the best Car Security out their is? Thinking about getting a 2-way alarm. my cars also insured but doesn\'t mean i want it stolen. I love my ride(like anybody else being my first car). just need some advice on extra security like i saw them gear locks on trade me, looks pretty reliable, and also quick release kits for detachable steering wheel. Just really paranoid bout my car considering how many subies are stolen these days an seeing that video of the diick getting into that wrx in the matter of seconds in front of that camera and alarm didn\'t do sheit.

I just need something in my car so I\'m guaranteed that my rides gonna be their when i get back too it.

I am definatly keen to see what people suggest as I\'m also paranoid about my Subie getting stolen/broken into. Have already started parking it in the carport where its not visible from the road and am thinking about getting sensor lighting in the carport .

duddley said:

I am definatly keen to see what people suggest as I\'m also paranoid about my Subie getting stolen/broken into. Have already started parking it in the carport where its not visible from the road and am thinking about getting sensor lighting in the carport .

That sounds good. As long as its not visible too the public and dont give anybody a reason too risk going into your property an break into your car then you should be sweet. My car just parked down the drive way totally visible to public but right next too my room under my open windows, i can hear my alarm scream.

• General Member

simple : stay away from mongoos/uniden :try a AVS Alarm (they are even a club sponsor/supplier)

don\'t keep anything of value in plain sight and have insurance up to date

even a locked shed is no match for a determined effort

Kill switches are good but you riun risk of pissing yourself off every time you wanna start the car

oh and GPS monitored alarms are the bees knees and can be bought for around $160 + Install/cell service

JoKer said:

simple : stay away from mongoos/uniden :try a AVS Alarm (they are even a club sponsor/supplier)

don\'t keep anything of value in plain sight and have insurance up to date

even a locked shed is no match for a determined effort

Kill switches are good but you riun risk of pissing yourself off every time you wanna start the car

oh and GPS monitored alarms are the bees knees and can be bought for around $160 + Install/cell service

I new mongoose wasnt that good. my mates got one in a gtt but aint that great. alotta people seem too sheit on that alarm. im thinking of a kill switch. i have the best idea ever but wont say(defeats the purpose). also i have a gps tracker but yet havent installed it, have it sitting in my room for the last month. whats good to wire a kill switch too though? like ign, batt, fuel pump, brakes?lol idk.

• General Member

cam/crank sensor I think its the safest : will stop car from starting

you don\'t want to run it lean : Fuel pump

this is not from personal experiance/no kill switches for me, just a Dynatron alarm + Insurance

best way i found was to wire a hidden switch up to the fuel pump relay and never had issue with it. over 8 years now and never had my car stolen/broken into and have 4 lots of security depending on where its parked or left. 1st is steering wheel lock. 2nd is avs 5 star alarm. 3rd is hidden kill switch and 4th is a active gps unit to track it if first 3 fail. genuinely i always just use one and two but if its really dodgy area i put on the kill switch and has never annoyed me remembering to turn switch back on

• Admin

The install is 200 times more important than the alarm that is installed. One of my not-so-high-risk vehicles has a chinga-ling non-"insurance rated" (aka paid the NZSA star-rating fee) alarm but it\'s very well installed and would hopefully slow down a potential thief quite a lot.

By the same token when I bought my STI it had a "5 star" AVS S5 installed by a mobile installer service a few yards use in Wellington.... siren was screwed to the strut tower, alarm brain was tucked up by the steering column and the bloody drivers door was actually connected to the alarm. What\'s the point in that? Took my good alarm installer friend about 5 minutes to completely remove it.

I made a thread a while ago containing a few tricks to help slow down thieves or deter them... I\'ll see if I can find it.

You have to get creative nowadays because the crooks all know most of the sneaky methods... kill switches and "traditional" immobilisers don\'t do shit any more against a skilled thief.

a dirty great chain around the wheel will stop any opportunists at the mall . also stops anyone rolling it down your drive

(actually less annoying than a car alarm too )

a real chain and a real lock like the motorcycle security stuff . not some shit from mitre ten that they cut with bolt cutters to sell you

at home park something behind it . or 2 . keep it out of site .

semi un plug all the easy things in the engine bay . crank sensors ,coil plug etc . still looks plugged in but wont run

kill switch, cost me 30$ from abtech i think, but i also have a avs 5 star alarm now and full insurance

one of my old cars got stolen ages ago then recoverd and i put a kill switch in it and they came back and tried to get it going but just ruined the ignition system and trashed my car haha

On my V7 i currently have a " 5 Star " Uniden alarm, looking at replacing it with an Autowatch one in the near future, also have a lock which locks my handbrake and gear stick and another lock which locks my clutch and steering wheel.

Hopefully this is enough to deter any thieves or at least make it a lot more harder and annoying for them to try and steal.

Looking at adding a kill switch at some stage too.

• Admin
 MoJoe-95Legacy said:

ALL good ideas. I\'m thinking of doing 5 stages.lol. 1st 2-way alarm(so i can monitor the alarm if i don\'t hear the sirens), 2nd Detachable steering, 3rd kill switch, 4th GPS tracker an 5th Insurance if that counts.

1. Good idea

2. They just use vicegrips on the spline but it\'s not a bad idea for stopping Joe Schmo

3. What\'s the point, just wire more cuts on your alarm using relays

4. Also a good idea

5. You\'d be mad not to.

With AVS alarms (And most alarms I suppose) they\'re definitely only as strong as the installer makes them, make sure you\'re using a trusted installer that doesn\'t install it hanging above the bloody pedals like a muppet.

A wheel clamp is one of the best. I even got away with parking in a tow away area! lmao! ;):D ;D

Mind you i think the sticker saying it was clamped for fines helped me out!

You have to love those laser printers! :D :D :D :D

boon']

[quote name='MoJoe-95Legacy said:

ALL good ideas. I\'m thinking of doing 5 stages.lol. 1st 2-way alarm(so i can monitor the alarm if i don\'t hear the sirens), 2nd Detachable steering, 3rd kill switch, 4th GPS tracker an 5th Insurance if that counts.

/quote]

1. Good idea

2. They just use vicegrips on the spline but it\'s not a bad idea for stopping Joe Schmo

4. Also a good idea

5. You\'d be mad not to.

so is a steering wheel lock better that detachable?? not sure how to wire stuff into the alarm. dont wanna try either. insurance is a must of course

Codex said:

With AVS alarms (And most alarms I suppose) they\'re definitely only as strong as the installer makes them, make sure you\'re using a trusted installer that doesn\'t install it hanging above the bloody pedals like a muppet.

My alarm now is like that. thats why i want to get another one. what company do yous recommend. ?? i was thinking going to jonvy auto an get them to install it aswell.

titian said:

A wheel clamp is one of the best. I even got away with parking in a tow away area! lmao! ;):D ;D

Mind you i think the sticker saying it was clamped for fines helped me out!

You have to love those laser printers! :D :D :D :D

haha dam wheel clamp ;) . i wood butt so much work too clamp up everytime. its worth it at the end of the day cause atleast youll still have you carr butt il give that a thinking. im trying too get creative. like take out the batt or lol idk. hard too be creative on a empty stomach.

Solja said:

best way i found was to wire a hidden switch up to the fuel pump relay and never had issue with it. over 8 years now and never had my car stolen/broken into and have 4 lots of security depending on where its parked or left. 1st is steering wheel lock. 2nd is avs 5 star alarm. 3rd is hidden kill switch and 4th is a active gps unit to track it if first 3 fail. genuinely i always just use one and two but if its really dodgy area i put on the kill switch and has never annoyed me remembering to turn switch back on

dose your gps tracker take a sim card? if so, dose it use credit to connect to satellites or does it connect for free an use credit just too send texts??

• Admin
 MoJoe-95Legacy']

[quote name='MoJoe-95Legacy said:

/quote]

1. Good idea

4. Also a good idea

5. You\'d be mad not to.

so is a steering wheel lock better that detachable?? not sure how to wire stuff into the alarm. dont wanna try either. insurance is a must of course

Steering locks only stop retards. The lock is hardened steel, your steering wheel is not.

Dude Autowatch 446rli is the top notch alarm along with cobra either one will see you right and make your insurance a bit cheaper I went with the auto watch with the glass break and ultrasonic sensors so if they peel the back window open and put their grubby hands in it will go off.

gear lever locks and steering wheel locks are good and will slow the retards down I use a steering wheels lock and place it in position so any slight movement will sound the horn i also drive into parking spots where there is always a pillar or cars next to me and turn the steering wheel to full lock so if they try to tow me it will make it a little bit harder

and lastly GPS tracking best invention ever if the bastards do get your precious hope they dont find where this is hidden before you can track down where it is.

apart from this get some weight up bulk up and advertise the fact you are one Bad Mofo that no one in their right mind would wanna fuck with.. or get a Pitbull ( bit easier )