• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

My V1 WRX STI has no MAF.. WTF?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evowrx said:

Good luck controlling injectors with a possumlink to run a TD06 up to efficency. V1/2 engine wont take that power well either.

Posting shit like this is just useless to me. instead of saying " its crap thats a crap idea " suggest alternatives like i said first subaru i know jack shit about their engines about their ecu\'s/turbos everything.

ive had some fast Nissan Mtisubishis Mazdas and a Audi. i know my way around a car but what you said helps me in no way possible apart from making you sound like a bit of a dick.

The most useful thing I think most people will say here is buy a later sti with good bits on it already. Might have come off rough but reality is youre saying youre already going to a TD06 without doing any research.

Best thing to do if you want it to be faster is get it running right, put a TD05 on it and yellow injectors if it doesnt have them, then get it tuned with the current ecu make 200-220kw atw and I would guess be quicker than it is.

To make more power than that in that car is going to be pretty fuckin expensive. New engine/fueling/ecu/intake/exhaust/fmic/turbo/boost solenoid/IAT/etc/etc/etc. All cars are pretty much the same to pull power out of its just the exacting spec that changes. Just coz its a subaru doesnt mean you can make 500kw on the stock injectors the basic rules remain the same.

Quick search will net you this which pretty much covers it. AFAIK the early heads arent so great but some old school early 90\'s lad can help you with that.

it currently has yellow injectors fmic full exhaust boost controller fuel pressure reg IATs the when the guys got it they told me it was boosting 29 all day and it hasnt thrown anything so under that assumption it has forged bits in there but im not going to run the assumption risk and run that boost.

plans are cams rods/pistons head rework oversized valves port and polish new custom manifold that is currently being made turbo twisted to somthing bigger then a retune on this ecu but if the guys down at torque think this ecu isnt good enough then a G4 PNP will get put in

and if someone tells me more about the subaru block and bottom end what versions are strongest etc then ill probably use one of those.

when i like somthing i go all out on it like i did with my mitsi 4wd 88 GSR old 1600 one with 390KW with a 4g63t i spent heaps of time and money on that thing lol

• General Member

I am fairly ignorant of these things but something doesnt seem right to me here. Namely 29 psi on Yellows without the engine exploding.

Have you seen it run 29 psi or just been told? If you have just been told its run that I wouldnt be aiming for it again, I would think its well beyond the injectors and the Turbos capacity considering I am maxing out Yellows at 20 psi. My understanding is increased fuel pressure could allow extra boost but another almost 50%?

Someone correct me if I\'m on the wrong track here.

I think the old owner discredited himself saying it was running a G4 and it was a G1 the 29psi well 90% of the people in NZ would buy that and think it made it a ferrari. I wouldve checked before I handed over the coin on the G4 business.

Swapping for a van worth $1200 we know who got the best deal there well done cobber.

maybe he just made up the 29psi lol not the first time someone wud have given a false number to get a sale

but yea man yellows and 20psi wud be the max kinda

in wither case, u seem to have a nice plan in mind

would be a nice runner after u get things sorted

the G1 seems to be ok to controll up to 600cc from what experience i have with that and seems to get hairy after that but that is alsmost 250kw@w by then anyway so given the v1 and light weight it will be one hell of a quick car

alright then lets say my goal is 250-300kw somewhere between those numbers whats the best turbo best injectors should i be sourcing another block? rods? pistons? just need to know what the factory limits are of the MY93 WRX STI.

also what is this thing in the yellow has a hose coming from it leading to near the turbo thats constantly sucking

http://imgur.com/loKWUdx

And no ive never taken it near 29 psi and i dont aim to atall lol thats just insane. 20 sounds like a good number high boost and 15 low

Noideawhatimdoing said:

alright then lets say my goal is 250-300kw somewhere between those numbers whats the best turbo best injectors should i be sourcing another block? rods? pistons? just need to know what the factory limits are of the MY93 WRX STI.

also what is this thing in the yellow has a hose coming from it leading to near the turbo thats constantly sucking

http://imgur.com/loKWUdx

And no ive never taken it near 29 psi and i dont aim to atall lol thats just insane. 20 sounds like a good number high boost and 15 low

well i wud say just check ur block first - what if its already built - be lucky for u man

turbo - twisted gt30 wud do the up to 300wkw

block wise - if u need to then u can either start building a forged block or get a v7 shortblock from wingers etc and boldt ur upgraded heads as per ur earlier post

that ought to do it nicely

V3/4 Sti heads will bolt to your mani and are proven to 300kw+. Bolt them to a decent forged shortblock and thats the easy part done. Then all the bolt ons need careful thought if heading over the 300kw mark. Cheap to get to 220ish kw, easyish to move up to 260-280kw mark then more is a lot of work. Go for a ride in a fast car see if you really need that power. My car at 227kw atw is pretty quick on the street [email protected] not the fastest around by any means but quick enough to get you in a shit load of trouble and still need a brake upgrade over 2 pots. Plan ahead or you will spend 3-4 times the amount just getting to the next step.

I would add a TD05, sort any little issues, get it retuned and see how you feel after that. Shouldnt cost much more than 1g and be a chunk more car. Then sell it for 4-5k and put another 3k on top and buy something a little more finished - unless you really like your car. Ive got to the point where Im spending more than my cars worth and Ive built mine on the tightest deals/hook ups/favours budget ever.

when i got the car the boost guage was saying 15psi but the needle was getting stuck ive since swapped it and ive wound the boost down to as low as it can go almost half of what the boost controller was at and it was saying idle vac wass 30+ INhg but the new guage is showing 15psi on boost at 20~INhg vac... so for all i know it was boosting 20+ before when i got the car...

as far as the turbo it seems to be a Vf23/22, is the Td05 much of an upgrade on those?

gf8wagon said:

95% sure this was on t.m 2months ago,

And if i remember right it was running a rs block with unknown kms

Prty sure this is the same car

As for 29psi-your gearbox and diff would have shat itself,and a rod out the block

also when i got the car the clutch was slipping all the time in 3rd when coming into boost so that makes me think it was boosting a fair bit more than what the guage was telling me

Noideawhatimdoing said:

as far as the turbo it seems to be a Vf23/22, is the Td05 much of an upgrade on those?

Way easier to make an intake work or if you go to VF turbo just run a 90 deg bend on the front. If it was my car Id run the TD05 quarter the price of the VF and flow roughly the same just slower to spool maybe not with tuning. Not worth buying a VF if youre upgrading later to go post 220kw.

TD04 at 29psi would be losing power not gaining wouldnt it?

Subarus only a real mish when you start looking at anything further than stock sti heads. Well unless you bolt on massive m&h up pipes, ching T3/T4 and things like that and lets face it theres no shortage of those guys lol.

I do like the approach where you got a mad score and money isnt an issue.

Look on subaruspeed.co.nz they have seriously cheap strut sets.

Have to say Im more interested in the mitzi...at this point anyway.

Noideawhatimdoing']

when i got the car the boost guage was saying 15psi but the needle was getting stuck ive since swapped it and ive wound the boost down to as low as it can go almost half of what the boost controller was at and it was saying idle vac wass 30+ INhg but the new guage is showing 15psi on boost at 20~INhg vac... so for all i know it was boosting 20+ before when i got the car...

[quote name='gf8wagon said:

95% sure this was on t.m 2months ago,

And if i remember right it was running a rs block with unknown kms

Prty sure this is the same car

As for 29psi-your gearbox and diff would have shat itself,and a rod out the block

/quote]

also when i got the car the clutch was slipping all the time in 3rd when coming into boost so that makes me think it was boosting a fair bit more than what the guage was telling me

The TD05 probably sits about midway between the VF23 and VF22. VF22 being the biggest of that bunch.

If it is just a standard phase 1 block (i.e. pre 98), any of those turbo\'s is going to be able to blow the block to bits and most likely chuck a rod out of the block. The rod bolts being a weak point.

If it does have forged rods and pistons, then you could get more out of it but more than 210kw with yellows normally takes more than just tuning and hoping for the best. Decent manifold and making everything work properly in conjunction with all the other parts is the main thing.

A GT30 sized turbo i.e. GT3071R could get you to 300kw but would need new injectors and the early Possumlink will be struggling. Especially as you\'ll need a 3 Bar MAP sensor to handle the extra boost needed, ~25-30psi depending on how good your heads behave and how efficiently the whole package works. Thats also where you pretty much need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb to ensure its all working well and pipework isn\'t creating any choke points etc.

And then, a Possumlink with a 3 Bar MAP sensor looses a tonne of resolution and becomes a pig to drive and tune for idle etc.