Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

opinions on tmic tmic and what kinds are efficent

bc5rs

im wanting to upgrade my water to air cooler on my bc5 running a td05 yellow injectors and microtech ecu,wanting to no whats going to be most effective

so im wanting and effiecent cooler dont really wanna do a front mount ( i think it looks kinda rude chopping up my bumper and the arguements over pipe length vs responce ect)

i did have a v4 cooler i think it was sti but the fire wall had to get a tap to fit and cut down throttle body on my last bc5

cheers for the input guys

Go FMIC, I for the life of me can not feel the difference in response between a top and front mount on a suby and have driven more than enough of them

To make a top mount work good you need a big scoop

Big scoops on BC5\'s look rude

And then it still heat soaks like a heatsoakerdevice half the time anyway leaving you better off keeping the W2A cooler anyway

Just run like an evo intercooler or something - you can hide it easy, done and done

For arguments sake - a super SUUPER approximate guesstimate of volume of FMIC piping is about say half a cubic foot, incl the cooler.

If your turbo flows say 400cfm... we\'re talking (if it was a vacuum) about 0.2 of a second for it to "in theory" fill that space (working with about 6cfm moved per second)

Am I way off here?

my current scoop was thinking along the lines on turn manifold get a top mount turn it upsidedown move radiator lower forward and make a v mount take time and effort but im fine with that or move the rad back 4 inch and put fmic there

8xQHXoU.jpg

The WAICs are good at what they do. I don\'t see any reason you\'d need to upgrade at all.

BC5s run with Td05s and yellow injectors just fine with a WAIC, if you\'ve made no other change to the car other than the ECU don\'t bother wasting time and money on a intercooler.

evowrx said:

I thought the waic had been proved to 240wkwish before the cooler posed a choke point.

Yeah they are fine for 200kw (plus maybe a little more), if you\'re pushing for the big number outputs don\'t muck around with other TMICs, just go straight for the FMIC and make it look steathy and tidy

BC5RA said:

For the posters claiming the WAIC will flow/cool well enough for 200wkw+

Where do you get your information from?

They do.

I had the standard WAIC originally and we also had a rally car making 210kw with one.

But the problem was that it would only make that sort of power for a short time before heatsoaking the whole lot. Was perfectly fine when used on the streets as you\'d be hard pressed to keep it under enough load for long enough to overheat the lot. But it sucked on the rally car.

Koom said:

They do.

I had the standard WAIC originally and we also had a rally car making 210kw with one.

But the problem was that it would only make that sort of power for a short time before heatsoaking the whole lot. Was perfectly fine when used on the streets as you\'d be hard pressed to keep it under enough load for long enough to overheat the lot. But it sucked on the rally car.

I\'ve made the same point before somewhere in the recesses of this site.

Even on the street - real world - stop start traffic. Will be less efficient by the time you want to put your foot down.

My old RS, I played around with the water cooler(change out for a different type) and pump side (Full time operating, and tried different pump/flow rates)

Heat soak wasnt as bad.

**I have installed a WAIC on a RB30DET R32 at one stage. The main difference is we made up a cooler box using a A/C condenser hook up to the car A/C system.

So the liquid cooling the WAIC was cooled by the A/C system. We were seeing single digit temps once system was up and running.

Main issue with this setup is in summer after you had switched off engine, we were getting condensation in the intake system.

BC5RA']

Have a read of this.

Either stay with the WAIC (optimised) or get over it and go FMIC.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1619&title=TopMount+Trial+Part+Two

that was excactly what i was looking for ill leave the water cooler on for now and start on a slim front mount maybe only 200x80 sort of sizing lower and infront of the radiator and run some custom piping so i dont have to cut anything and spray it all black :)

[quote name='Marky said:

Go FMIC, I for the life of me can not feel the difference in response between a top and front mount on a suby and have driven more than enough of them

To make a top mount work good you need a big scoop

Big scoops on BC5\'s look rude

And then it still heat soaks like a heatsoakerdevice half the time anyway leaving you better off keeping the W2A cooler anyway

Just run like an evo intercooler or something - you can hide it easy, done and done

For arguments sake - a super SUUPER approximate guesstimate of volume of FMIC piping is about say half a cubic foot, incl the cooler.

If your turbo flows say 400cfm... we\'re talking (if it was a vacuum) about 0.2 of a second for it to "in theory" fill that space (working with about 6cfm moved per second)

Am I way off here?

true i have seen a few v8 scoops on bc5s and didnt like it not being offencive there just not my cup of tea thats why i went with this one its not overly agresive but its effective for cooling the case of the cooler were as the factory (lip) doesnt flow 2\10ths of fak all,

i always thought of the responce in that way and the people arguing about it were talking t51r lag time ect haha

cheers guysall questions have been answered

soopersubaru']

[quote name='bc5rs said:

im wanting to upgrade my water to air cooler on my bc5 running a td05 yellow injectors and microtech ecu,wanting to no whats going to be most effective

/quote]

Fit A SOOPERCOOLER and all will be good for 250 Kw easy. For your ROAD car specifically.

No

soopersubaru']

[quote name='bc5rs said:

/quote]

Fit A SOOPERCOOLER and all will be good for 250 Kw easy. For your ROAD car specifically.

no thanks cant fit something without stats of flows ect

• Admin
 soopersubaru']

[quote name='bc5rs said:

/quote]

Bit of a shame that for all the pain-in-the-arse of installing your set up, a V7 TMIC will do >280wkw on the right setup...

edited: inflammatory language altered for general consumption and avoiding thread derail.