Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

what makes a boy racer car?

Pappu1

Im from South Auckland and its criminal what happens here, although there are cars that have been tastefully modded most of them that are classified Boy racers are:

-more aftermarket gauges than neccessary..so many gauges BUT the driver will use a biscuit spare tyre and drive like he has attended a track day ::)

-the loudest exhaust available on sale..

- the loudest BOV

- hugh shiny wheels

-dropped so low that you can bare see the tyres on the road.

-driving like a total *ick at the busiest times and ruining the reputation for Subaru performance vehicles in Auckland...

I got called a Boy Racer in My standard Gravel Express. I had the family in the car and I was in my mid thirtys at the time. Only thing I did was turn the alarm off so I could wind down the windows in the car park. No silly behaviour at all.

So my conclusion from this was that in the eye of the public any nice/ sporty car driven by some younger than the person observing is a boy racer.

i like my boy racer car its just low anymore and i can tell i\'m getting older as i\'m looking at a quieter exhaust :P

i still like how i get compliments on it when i go to the servo or go through a check point so glad i never put a body kit on it.

ClubSub Mum']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

If hes driving a Subaru and its got an exhaust hes a Boyracer, age and demeanor is immaterial to judgemental outsiders. However driving like a cock gives extra tiny willy wanker points... However if he drove something sensible(er?) he would probably be judged by others for other reasons.

I have spent the day driving mine around town doing errands on my day off and I lost count of the filthy looks I got after about 10 Mins. Just gotta get used to it and enjoy the envy and uneducated, judgmental people.

- Edit - A boyracer to us vs. a boyracer to the general public are two completely different questions.

/quote]

I agree, I have been asked "is this your sons car" lol - I don\'t even have a son.

Also been told "you don\'t fit the image for driving a car like that"

I had the red & blue disco lights turn on as I turned into our street one night. So I kept driving half a block to our house then pulled up. I got out of the car and the cop walked over to me then the missus got out of the car and got the kids out of the back seat and walked into the house with them. Cops first words to "Oh, I thought you were a boy racer". The only reason I got his attention, I was arguing with the missus and didn\'t notice the speedo get over 60km in 50 area.

Ive been told "aren\'t you a bit old to be driving that" & "why did you buy a 17 year olds car"?

My cars a stock V8 WRX Sti, and apparently that makes it a boy-racer car according to the local police. I frequently get pulled up and they are some what surprised when they see I\'m in my late 20\'s and don\'t really fit the typical boy-racer profile.

Does amuse me that a random road side breath test seems to get drawn out to nearly 30 mins. And everything gets run over with a fine tooth comb, including your own details like where you work, where your heading etc.

I guess thats just the way things are these days.

• Admin

I dunno if Wellington cops are just more lenient or what... but I\'ve been driving my lowered, loud-ish Subaru for a few years now and I\'ve never been stopped by Police when I didn\'t deserve to be. I\'ve had some highway police try to pull some swifty manoeuvres on me but that\'s about it.

I think if your car is fairly well presented, not bouncing around on cutties and you\'re not driving it like a giant spanner then you won\'t get harassed - at least in Wellington that is.

I\'ve never been stopped in mine. Mines quite low on the coilovers with a loud exhaust.

they glance at me on the roads but thats about it.

my cars all legit so not worried about anything either.

And i live out west auckland so theres always cops driving around

I\'ve been stopped in mine a few times but in all fairness only because I was speeding. Normally I attract no attention and I am pushing the limits of road legal, well will be when the car goes back on the road.

One of the reasons cops stop wrx, sti,and other hi spec turbo cars is actually to check if it has been stolen too.

Esp during evening dark hours prior to midnight. :o 8)

And a Thief just looks like the owner as well so its hard to judge. 8) 8)

If you have not done anything wrong,the car is higher tha100mm of the deck.does not sound like a cackling noise, No alcohol or other substace smells, you will be on your way without delay. ;) ;)

However ...play up? or give cheek ,swear etc....Well those boys in blue just love that game! Play it at your own peril. ::) :-[ :\'(

I\'ve been pulled over quite frequently during late at night, cops usually tell me just general licence check and vehicle check and then I\'m on my way. On other occasions during day time I do get pulled over once in a while. I just get told I look young and just the normal talk about turbo car blah blah. One thing I\'ve realized on typical occasions I often have cops asking me about how is my insurance and price etc. But being 19 and driving a car that\'s easy to steal I don\'t blame them pulling me over. But most time just harassing about modifications blah blah blah. When I go through check points all cops at the check point heads turn towards my car and it\'s not a great sight not going to lie.