Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sti Security

Hi Guys, So I am hopefully getting an STI in the next few months and are just a bit concerned with the rates this things are getting stolen. Had a M60s 5 star in my last WRX never had a break in. Is there a bulletproof alarm system that I should get?. Going to be using a steering wheel lock and I seen those gear lock things as well but dunno if they do much.

Might be a silly question but can you buy wheel clamps to use on your parked car?.

Short story.. no alarm is bullet proof.

Any alarm is really only as good as the person who installs it. I can\'t comment on any good installers in you area.

AVS are a sponsor here and from what I\'ve seen, they\'re definitely worth getting in touch with.

SuperCheap sell wheel clamps too.

ADIKT said:

Nothing\'s bulletproof.

My last sti got stolen so this time I went with an AVS s5 with gps tracker.

Makes my theft excess $0 too

Just means if someone takes my car then I should be able to find the Female anatomy part

Wow no excess..... do you mind if ask who that is with?

• Admin

I\'ve used Dynatron, and they seemed to be good. They also do a GPS tracking unit. You also don\'t need to pay $20 per month after the GPS install with them because they don\'t use vodafone or telecom for GPRS...

Not to be a thread hi-jacker but where in hell can you get a 100% true GPS tracking unit. Or do you HAVE to have a GPRS tracker?

• Admin
 99GTB said:

You can get a true satellite tracking unit, where data goes over satellite instead of GPRS.

However you have to pay for the data over the satellite, so no different to GPRS, apart from the coverage.

Okay, so in the case of GPRS units etc. They track via GPS but send out information via GPRS

• Admin
 Roo said:

I don\'t think anything is as effective as removing crucial ignition parts lol

Or you could do something revolutionary like have a small, discrete box full of relays hidden somewhere in the car, and use this little box of relays to cut the circuits that these crucial parts use. If you wanted to be super flash you could have it like, use a remote control to turn on and off these vital circuits ;) :-*

Dairusire']

[quote name='99GTB said:

You can get a true satellite tracking unit, where data goes over satellite instead of GPRS.

However you have to pay for the data over the satellite, so no different to GPRS, apart from the coverage.

/quote]

Okay, so in the case of GPRS units etc. They track via GPS but send out information via GPRS

Most GPS trackers I know of are like that.

I\'m with Blackhawk Tracking.

Provides iOS app, and a web portal for you to track your car.

Has the ability to disable car as well.

I hear they are going to release an integrated alarm + GPS solution soon.

subout']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Nothing\'s bulletproof.

My last sti got stolen so this time I went with an AVS s5 with gps tracker.

Makes my theft excess $0 too

Just means if someone takes my car then I should be able to find the Female anatomy part

/quote]

Wow no excess..... do you mind if ask who that is with?

NAC. had to have the alarm professionally installed by avs. Worth it in my eyes.

Especially after having one car stolen

Dairusire said:

well, weighing this up. I think it\'s worth it to go with AVS and NAC... Considering that if you go to NAC or Clubauto etc with a WRX STi your likely to get slapped with a excess of 1-1.2K for theft its really worth it imho.

my theft excess for my last sti was $1900. Theft excess for my new sti was $2700!!!! Untill I got the alarm in

Nothing will protect against a tow truck, if they really want it they will tow it.

However a monitered GPS can help find it.

A good alarm will help to however a bad install will let it down.

AVS are good if installed well.

The other is Cobra, Add a drive card to the cobra, they are also louder and the siren is waterproof and has no key so it can be hidden. The module is nice and small. You do pay a little more though.

We often couple the Cobra alarm with the AVS tracker.

But at the end of the day install is everything!!!!!!

• Admin
 Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

Nothing will protect against a tow truck, if they really want it they will tow it.

However a monitered GPS can help find it.

A good alarm will help to however a bad install will let it down.

AVS are good if installed well.

The other is Cobra, Add a drive card to the cobra, they are also louder and the siren is waterproof and has no key so it can be hidden. The module is nice and small. You do pay a little more though.

We often couple the Cobra alarm with the AVS tracker.

But at the end of the day install is everything!!!!!!

Oh your very correct in saying that a alarm won\'t stop a tow truck, but the GPS will atleast alert you to the car being stolen... That when I bust on out of my house with a shotgun.... I would like to see someone steal a car when a shotgun is pointed in their general direction, obviously loaded with none-leathal beanbags which hurt like shit

when I had my legacy, it was alarmed, and immobilised,I also did 2 other things one I had an extra siren put inside the car ( 110 db makes trying to steal stuff outta car a lot harder) I also had a switch panel under the stereo with 8 micro switches on it, none were labeled 4 immobilised the 2 circuits in the car to stop it from starting ( fuel and ignition) the other four did random things ( turbo timer,spotlights and 2 did nothing :) ) with out having the switches in the right order it would not start :)

boon']

[quote name='Roo said:

I don\'t think anything is as effective as removing crucial ignition parts lol

/quote]

Or you could do something revolutionary like have a small, discrete box full of relays hidden somewhere in the car, and use this little box of relays to cut the circuits that these crucial parts use. If you wanted to be super flash you could have it like, use a remote control to turn on and off these vital circuits ;) :-*

That would be flash.

Would need to be triggered by an unlock signal to keep current drae to a minimum but i reckon that\'s doable.

(Sarcasm)

I was meaning removing them entirely. If they aren\'t there they can try all they like

I have always thought an isolator switch in an invisible place in the main battery feed to the fusebox/vehicle would be sneaky too.

Run a low rated fuse across the isolator terminals for radio memory etc and if an attempts made to bridge to ignition or whatever they do then fuse blows

i recently had a break in. thieves failed to take the car due to the subaru immobilizer + avs immobilizer.. although they were able to get in the car and toss everything inside and left a mess :\'(

so i guess a good alarm which installed properly would be very benificial

Simple works good too

Hidden switch in some bastard location for something simple but vital like fuel pump or CAS, done

Hell it can be in plain sight and noones the wiser (like... foglight switch or whatever)

But then im cheap and dgaf if half my cars get pinched, I pay mucho insurance for a reason and at least in theory its agreed value