Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre recommendations - Best value performance compromise 2015 edition

Who has a good Tyre recommendation or alternatively a Tyre to avoid?

I'll soon be in the market for a new set of tires I'd like to spend from $200 - $300 per Tyre. Looking for the best Price vs Performance vs Wear compromise.

I was in at the Subaru dealership the other day and they had some very cheap prices listed on the wall. I asked about the brand, he said although it was something i'd never heard of before. He went on to say that their are only 3 Tyre manufactures in Asia, hence they come out of the same factory so their as good as a branded Tyre. I doubt this to be true, although if someone know of re-branded tires at a discount, it would be good to know.

Vehicle: 2010 Impreza Sti

Tyre size: 245/40R18

T1R is ancient, next

So is RE002, gradually being replaced by RE003.

+1 for T1-Sport but in that size may be $300+

There's a cheapie Nexen or netron or similar sounding brand that the Euro guys like, model NT5000 or 8000

Bro kuhmo zetum ku37 not bad for the price they were recommended on here so i put em on my run about

before these I ran GT radials HPX loud but pretty good tyres for the price.

I see it like this good tyres are noisy and **** to live with day to day and vice versa

Neutons run the same pattern as some Bridgestones I think. Im about to try some Nitto Invos will report back when I do

johnny5 said:
usually they just work the cost of the fourth in with the 3 and make you pay for balancing and fitting to compensate no such thing as a free lunch

The last set of Bridgestones I got was fitted and balanced free, as it always should be if you're buying 4 brand new tyres, plus they cant really change the pricing or they get busted by the commerce commission.

boon said:
I'm also gonna chuck it out there that if you can afford a 2010 STI but can't afford to put proper tyres on it then you actually can't afford a 2010 STI.

I think that reason I can afford the 2010 Sti is that I don't waste the money I have :)

• Like 1

• Admin
 glion said:
I think that reason I can afford the 2010 Sti is that I don't waste the money I have :)

I'm not saying you do, at ~300 a tyre you should be able to put something decent on it.

It just makes me sad when I see a nice car rolling on $130 ping-pong chingaling tyres made from melted down icecream containers.

I run re002s with nitro fill as my daily tyres, falcon 912's as my gymkhana tyres.

The falcons are shyte. Hard compound, very twitchy in the wet, skittish in the dry, good fun if clowning around but takes some serious concentration to keep it tidy with stability and traction control off

Hyper:

YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08R $339

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 DIRECTIONAL 5 (D) $342

Megatyre:

Hankook RS3 ???

Hankook V12 Evo

Stick with the big names and pay a little extra.

AD08R for a daily tyre or RS3s for a dry weather ultra performance.

The V12 Evos are consistently well rated if you can get a set.

Edited by GorGasmSpecB

Damn good price for the AD08R, much better than the GY (the Asymmetric 2 is the only GY worth buying), Directional 5 is a namby pamby tyre.

Does Megatyre actually have RS3's ???

A couple of months ago I was looking for new tyres and no one had RS3's in stock.

None of my favourite Nitto NT05 either :(

Started with RE002 < crap on the GTI (OEM was the RE050A - still the best current roadtyre from BS, not tried RE003 but doubt it will be better than RE050A), ended up on T1-Sports.

I have gone off Nitto after trying both Invo and Neo gens. Had a better experience with RE001s.

My colleague got a quote for 911 turbo spec Hankook RS3s and they were very reasonably priced (from mega tyre).

I am going to look at bringing in some Bridgestone S04s or Pilot super sports for my new car.

boon said:
I'm not saying you do, at ~300 a tyre you should be able to put something decent on it.

It just makes me sad when I see a nice car rolling on $130 ping-pong chingaling tyres made from melted down icecream containers.

Pot/Kettle?

• Admin
 loner said:
Pot/Kettle?

The dyno car goes to/from the dyno bay to make more power than yours on some rather decent made-in-Japan Toyos, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

boon said:
The dyno car goes to/from the dyno bay to make more power than yours on some rather decent made-in-Japan Toyos, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Well you think he is wasting his car... I think you are wasting yours. pot/kettle.

• Admin
 loner said:
Well you think he is wasting his car... I think you are wasting yours. pot/kettle.

Ohhhhhh I see.

But my dyno car goes good on the dyno. Does your road, sorry race car go good on the race track?

• Admin
 94 Leone said:
zip up your trousers lads, we know how this'll end, another thread bowled trolled and assholed.

Tyre talk here :P

Best performance for $$ spent is the criteria.

Fair enough :P the point I was actually getting at was that a cheap tyre limits the performance of the car and makes it less safe. I wasn't making a purely subjective comment about whether his use of the car conforms with my view of properness.