Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy 6-Speed Downpipe

NZMike

Hi, wondering if you guys know the best option Downpipe wise for a 2007 BP Legacy 6-speed Manual. I ask this because it seems subtech doesn't make a pipe for the 6-speed.

Ive been quoted up about $800 to get one custom made which I feel is a little steep. The guy who quoted said it would be the biggest waste of money and would make no difference what so ever.

What has other 6-speeders done?

• Admin

Have tou actually asked them. Chances are its just the gearbox mount that won't line up which isn't a too hard alteration to make.

Considered just decatting? Cost me zero dollers and can't say she's performing any worse than those with $700-800 downpipes.

Yea ive talked to subtech, they said I can use the auto downpipe but the mounts need modifying and also needs a dent to be put into the pipe, which is why I'm hesitant, so it doesn't rub against the box. Not an ideal option but I will go that path if anyone else didn't have any options.

• Admin

You talking with stock STI downpipe? probably would. More than 180kw is rare for the Legacy's even with proper full exhausts and all the rest, but seems not too hard for the STI's, aren't the STI ones bellmouth from factory too. Would have problems connecting a STI turbo to the intercooler. Nothing some random silicone pieces won't solve though.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
You talking with stock STI downpipe? probably would. More than 180kw is rare for the Legacy's even with proper full exhausts and all the rest, but seems not too hard for the STI's, aren't the STI ones bellmouth from factory too. Would have problems connecting a STI turbo to the intercooler. Nothing some random silicone pieces won't solve though.

See where I'm going with that

Would a more suitable upgrade be the option of maybe STi turbo, downpipe and intercooler, rather than trying to eke the last little bit from the legacy turbo instead?

I have no idea if that's a simple job but I imagine it'd be a very effective one surely, especially for the cost involved (like, the same as a downpipe alone ish?)

• Admin
 Marky said:
See where I'm going with that

Would a more suitable upgrade be the option of maybe STi turbo, downpipe and intercooler, rather than trying to eke the last little bit from the legacy turbo instead?

I have no idea if that's a simple job but I imagine it'd be a very effective one surely, especially for the cost involved (like, the same as a downpipe alone ish?)

Legacy and STI turbos have different flanges, so it's a headers-uppipe-turbo-downpipe kinda job.

800 for a custom down pipe is pretty up there... Is de-catting the exhaust not an option? The turbo probably won't benefit greatly from 3inch over what's there currently.

Unsure with the later model stuff(they gheyyyyy for modding) but with the earlier models you can get a manual crossmember and swap it over? Chances are they're probably the same crossmember on XXX models of cars and could be sourced cheap enough

All of this is speculation as I don't care for anything past 2000 haha

• Admin

Was quoted a similar figure when I was looking for a custom one.

Yea won't get **** all other than maybe better spool. Mine is hitting over 100% on the injectors so short of going for a higher pressure reg there isn't alot of headroom left. And thats with a decatted downpipe. With the kind of power i'm hitting now I really don't think the stock diameter pipe is affecting anything other than the wastegate gas hitting a blank plate and that the o2 sensor may not be getting things quite right. Not 100% sure on that yet.

Thats a nice looking one Mcgill BTW

I don't think $800 is over the top for a custom made down pipe as long as the end result is really good.

My down pipe was custom made and though I don't know how much it would have cost, it's obvious that a lot

of work went into it.