After disconnecting the battery:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_004.jpg

Then removing the OEM cold air intake scoop:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_002.jpg

The snorkus intake port is visible:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_005.jpg

Here's the upper snorkus 10mm bolt:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_006_Copy.jpg

After cracking the F/R wheel nuts, chocking the rear wheels and jacking the front of the car. Take the wheel off and the mud guard/splash guard is accessible:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_009.jpg

Remove a couple of plastic clips and 10mm bolts and the front half of the under guard can be pulled down to get at the resonators front lower 10mm bolt:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_011.jpg

Here's the silencer/resonator box:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_014.jpg

To get the box out I had to remove this plastic clip, then bend the bumper support backward slightly:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_016_Copy.jpg

Snorkus removed:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_017.jpg

A bit of science behind the Helmholtz resonator:

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/machine-design/84316-how-intake-resonators-improve-volumetric-efficiency/

Also the reason I probably wouldn't remove an intake resonator if I had an NA. Plus have sourced a spare snorkus incase I see any negative changes or notice loss of low down torque and want to revert back to OEM:

http://blog.autospeed.com/2003/11/30/those-funny-things-teed-into-intakes/

Another pic showing where the lower front bolt is:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_020.jpg

Here's a shot looking into the airbox/panel filter from under the guard. Showing how exposed the panel filter is if the snorkus is discarded, (I have a new Cosworth panel filter on the way):

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_023.jpg

Then a shot looking from the engine bay into the guard:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_021.jpg

Although the hole could be covered with a simple panel, or OEM part number 46059FA000 to stop hot engine bay air getting through:

https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=46059fa000

DSCN0344.JPG

I've marked a flat line around the neck and cut it with an angle grinder/cut off blade. A hacksaw would have done just fine:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_027.jpg

Then tidied up the hole so it was nice and flat, it's 4mm thick so will glue up just fine:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_029.jpg

Then made a cardboard cutout to fit:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_030.jpg

Marked the cardboard cutout onto the resonator box, keeping the OEM part number:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_031.jpg

Then used the cut off blade again to cut the section out. Could of drilled a lot of holes around the cut out, then tidied it up with a file:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_032.jpg

Tidied up to a pretty close fit:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_033.jpg

Then used gasket silicone to seal it in place:

Helmholtz_Resonator_Removal_034.jpg

After drying for a few hours I gave it a final clean up with a dremel/sand paper:

Snorkus_Delete_02_002.jpg

Finished intake elbow:

Snorkus_Delete_02_003.jpg

The inside diameter of the elbow is bigger than 80mm, so bigger than a 3" pipe. With 75mm at the airbox port:

Snorkus_Delete_02_004.jpg

Refitted, of course now only using the one bolt:

Snorkus_Delete_02_009.jpg

Mud guard and wheel back on:

Snorkus_Delete_02_010.jpg

Intake scoop back in:

Snorkus_Delete_02_011.jpg

Negative battery terminal reconnected and it's time for a test drive:

Snorkus_Delete_02_012.jpg

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised and definitely glad I gave it a go.

- Better throttle response, as though someone's tightened a loose throttle cable.

- Seems to have more useable power down low and off boost.

- Louder throatier exhaust note, most noticeable down low and under load.

- Louder induction and spooling noise.

• Admin
 jmalk said:
Looks good - thanks for sharing! Any idea if they continued the snorkus into the BL/BP chassis?

Yes, but a different implementation. Just undo the 2-3 bolts holding the airbox down, pull it up and you'll see a white tank/silencer attached to the bottom. Most people with the 4th gens just whip the silencer off and leave the hole in the bottom open. Its all before the filter so other than sucking in some warmer air there isn't much of a downside to leaving it open.

Andy_Mac said:
Yes, but a different implementation. Just undo the 2-3 bolts holding the airbox down, pull it up and you'll see a white tank/silencer attached to the bottom. Most people with the 4th gens just whip the silencer off and leave the hole in the bottom open. Its all before the filter so other than sucking in some warmer air there isn't much of a downside to leaving it open.

I'll take a look this afternoon. Is it mainly just increased induction noise on the BL chassis as a benefit or are there small power gains too?

• 1 month later...
 1randomkiwi said:
Awesome write up!

Was told to do this to my BEE (3L H6), did some research, read about the whole intake pulse, decided Subaru must have put it there for a reason, left it alone.

Whats the fun in that :D

Dort

• 2 weeks later...