Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New ute

Hey guys looking at getting a ute for the wife.

It's mainly going to be a town daily but I'll be using it on the weekends to go up to the snow and basic off roading e.g. visiting mates farms and going down onto the beach. 

Looking at anything 2014ish onwards

Wanting to know what makes/models to stay away from.

Cheers

Considering 2014on...

Navara is ok

Ranger is good but has random massive electrical issues on some of the trucks,

Hilux is ok but flips over if you have the low profile tyres and swerve at 80kmh.

I'm not really a ute guy but that is my 2c. :)

• Like 1

I've driven a few and they are definitely nice to drive. Probably my favourite to drive out of the bunch. But yeah I have seen two with random dash issues where the whole dash flickers in and out, one of which wouldn't start anymore. Weird body control issues or something.

Most of the trucks I see are broken though so there are probably plenty driving around with zero issues.

Basically every one of my customers drives utes.

One has a fleet of 30 colorados all 2wd fully optioned on road only in auto and manual - been perfect no complaints. Had hilux's beforehand and prefer the Colorado.

Another is all off road forestry. Fleets over 30 utes were with hilux since pre 2000 then bought 30 new 3.2 rangers when they came out. Went back to hilux's this year after various issues but generally with rangers its the gearboxes. Havent heard of issues with the auto boxes. All being run to 100000km on a buy back scheme.

Another crew runs Colorado's all 4wd and say theyre mint. Prefer the older 2015ish interior over the new one bit more ergonomic and user friendly with compartments etc.

D-max seem ok. Not many guys with them up here. Mate has one game had them lift it when he bought it. Keeps blowing cv's but since they lifted it its warranty. Does heaps of forestry work.

New hilux's seem good so far but require C2 spec oil. Can be expensive depending on your flavour of choice.

Few customers have the new Navara and love them no issues.

Amarok are nice but expensive then its a small fortune to fix anything.

Ssangyong seem to be good bang for buck but no ground clearance.

We've started buying foton tunland's as it makes sense for the business. We switch em out every 3 years/150000km. Definitely notice theyre not as refined and you get what you pay for. Do have most of the options hill descent, cruise control, Bluetooth, aux, air on, vinyl floor, switchable traction control. Really want to chip or tune them but thats always the best idea with any ute. 

Great wall are pieces of S***.

Colorado hands down best pick for bang for buck. Or bt-50 cheaper alternative to the ranger and dont require the fancy Ford spec 5w30 oil for warranty. Same bloody engine but yea.

• Like 6

^^^ Good info and write up. I second pretty much all of it.

Yeah also seen the same out of the new Navara and the Colorados, very few issues. I forgot to mention the Colorado but it is a solid truck, not particularly flash but it gets the job done every time with no issues from what I've seen.

I'm not much of a fan of the Ssangyong however.

25 minutes ago, IZichard said:

I'm not much of a fan of the Ssangyong however.

Neither on a personal level but I've never heard of a complaint other than the term ugly by people like me. The SUV stuff is really cheap like Kia but they have come a long way.

There is the new merc ute too right or not yet in NZ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Neither on a personal level but I've never heard of a complaint other than the term ugly by people like me. The SUV stuff is really cheap like Kia but they have come a long way.

The twenties and suspension they come with chew through tyres like nothing else. Not much wrong with them, just boring and ugly.

One of these? xD

mercedes-benz-g63-amg-6x6-photo-520499-s

6 minutes ago, IZichard said:

The twenties and suspension they come with chew through tyres like nothing else. Not much wrong with them, just boring and ugly.

One of these? xD

mercedes-benz-g63-amg-6x6-photo-520499-s

Nope ute not wannabe 6wd monster truck. Might be out in oz not NZ.

11 hours ago, evowrx said:

mercedes x-class nissan navara based ute not here until early 2018.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/94874526/mercedesbenz-xclass-pickup-truck-revealed-nzbound-early2018

portal axles ftw !

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-bonkers-mercedes-g500-4x4-squared

screen_shot_2017-01-31_at_10.56.05_copy.

Edited by newsuba

Drove the new D-MAX in thailand, very nice ute, only drove it for a week, and on kohpangan you cant really go faster than 50km/w without risking killing loads of people.

My daily is an 04 Ford courier, best vehicle ive ever bought, 2.5L Diesel turbo, people say they have gearbox problems etc - but i got it at 100,000kms and its on 206,000kms now, pulled diggers fron ak to northland, trailers, other cars out of the mud. you just have toi treat it right and get it serviced when it needs it. its never broken down on me or given any signs of problems, up untill recently ive only got it serviced and changed the tyres, recently cost me alot though, cambelt and all that jazz, all new shocks and some bushings, glow plugs, same deal with most vehicles though. drives like a dream again :) 

This might seem like a strange/personal question so don't answer if you don't want too, but why does your wife need a ute? Does she need lots of load space?

Is it mainly for the weekend use?

The D-MAx is supposed to be a good choice (apparently a bit better than the Colorado)

Also don't forget to look at the Mitsibishi Triton, Im not a fan of the looks but again its supposed to be a well put together option.

• Like 1

I bought the wifey a ute the triton and got the (bling wheels put on lol as an option) manual great ute to drive for 30k couldnt go wrong brand new with 5 year warranty and pulls on 6th gear as well, does feel sluggish though on low rev but fine for what we needed...we test drove a few of the trucks as well, the Navara was nice as well to drive probably the most comfortable out of them all to be frank, the hilux ride was hard/solid...the Ranger was good as well but for the money you can get the Navara which was nicer inside as well...The Colorado for some reason we missed out on lol we heard it was quite plasticy inside so didn't bother but i think we may have missed out...

I am a toyota fan, always have been always will be, have an 05 hilux, 310000km never missed a beat, I have never done the injectors, the auto is good, run it in 4wd once in awhile, running it on 20's, handles bloody well, goes good. 

the Isuzu dmax's are good better then the colorado

The nissan seems good 

would not touch ford/mazda

would not touch chinese/indian built just yet maybe another 5 years 

• Like 2