Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Old Subarus - are their prices going up?

Just wondering if you guys think the Subies that are 20 years + are starting to go up in value slightly. 

I mainly follow imprezas on Trade Me, I've seen that quite a few wrx (high km say over 250km) and rougher/high km sti in the less desirable wagon shape listed for around 5-7k. There's been a few rougher ones that still get listed for about 2-3, but I would say that pre covid prices had gone up. They're probably cheaper on fb though. 

Cleaner, lower km hxs-20 for example are listed for around 3k on Trade Me. 

Can't really speak for legacy gt models, but have seen svx hold their value quite well. If anyone cares enough I've screenshotted a few auctions lol.

• Like 1

I think anything 90s and enthusiast focused is going up.

People who wanted one when they young are now older and have a bit of money, and the supply is less and so prices go up. Same happened with older cars like 60's Falcons and Commodores, and will always happen pretty much.

Thats also mixed with the fact that 90s stuff is the last era of analog cars, that are every day usable. You can still have bluetooth and aircon and a bit of safety without everything being tied into the ECU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Short answer is yes they are, and so they should. They are old cars now and good ones are harder and harder to get hold of. As with a lot of 90's era cars.

Also a lot of 90's  JDM, vehicles were built by manufacturers as homologation model vehicles to meet production number requirements for rally and racing purposes. Hence They also had a lot of technology that you might say was before their time. They are also still arguably the most fun models to drive. Take the GC8 STI for example. Probably the most fun STI's subaru has built to date.

Take the performance figures of the Version 4 STI. I believe it had a quoted 0-100 time of 4.6secs. Still quick in today's standards. And Very very quick back in the 90's.

Edited by ginganinja
  • Like 2

Just picked up a 1990 Leone for just under 2k, it needs a little work. But I remember as a kid, the old man picking up one for only $100.00 lol So; definitely climbing a bit. All the good condition ones are going for quite a bit more than that

Also, recently saw my old GC8 up for sale with another 50 thou on the clock for 12.5k, and I sold it for 7K 3 years ago lol. 

Simple question of supply and demand.

Edited by 94 Leone
  • Like 3

• Admin

There are two factors:

1, inflation. A complete pile of s*** costs more $ now than it did 5 years ago because the $ is worth less, not because the car is worth more.

2, the fact that tidy original WRXs are genuinely increasing in value makes stupid people think that their dinged-up, badly resprayed, poorly modded s***ter is also increasing in value. And then other stupid people think so too, and buy said overpriced turd, thus making beat up s***ters increase in value when they don't deserve to.

• Like 4

All valid points made in this thread. I'd add that the 2k Cup could be a contributor to ending the life of many 4age/b18/3sge perhaps... And even the less tidy examples will be going up in value because even those with less money want to own a wrx, they've always been cheaper than other turbo jdm cars. Plus Dan Carter and Scribe owned one. Haha 

Heres some screenshots I've taken, they're from December 2019.

JeuuJ9Q.jpg

OzvE1RG.jpg

tvH2Y8s.jpg

6jSXulE.jpg

5pbB5Py.jpg

OgYxpXT.jpg

XPWNnt1.jpg

z5fgTfh.jpg

• Like 2

• Subscribed Member

Especially BC Legacy's. 
I wanted a BC road car to replace my BC rally car, but the prices are so ridiculous now.. hence ending up with the GF8. 

I shouldn't have sold my RA, that thing is an easy 10K plus now..

• Like 4