shadyslim

laws around removing cats on a 06 Japaneses import that was first registered in 2019

Posted (edited)

hi, im wondering the laws around cats and removing them? (i dont understand the bureaucratic bulls*** and the constant changing of the rules when reading the govt rules about it and weather or not it needs to pass a emissions test?

Edited by shadyslim

so basically if my car has 2 cats and i cant remove any but i can put 2 high flow ones in instead? and is there any laws around emissions testing?

Not 100% sure but imagine the replacement of factory emmision devices such as cats would need to be tested and confirmed to meet factory standards

It has been illegal for years but not actively pursued by WOF issuers but something has changed in the politics of it so they are now getting a lot more serious with checks. Previously you could try your luck and easily slip through as many have.

Not that we would advise anything outside the law, but decatted factory downpipes very often still slip through as they look factory so testers often don't think anything more of it.

• Like 1

yeah its just im gonna certify all my mods so i cant get pink stickerd, im gonna do more then a exhaust but you're better off certifying your mods then getting your car pink stickerd and having to go thru all those hoops

Keep stock exaust with cat or buy second hand exhaust for wofs. Annoying but only once a year. 

Sucks how laws are always changing and how a lot of them make no sense.

Not quite right either actually, you can still pass a WOF with no cat, as long as you pass an emissions test too, which is an extra cost. 
A friend 'failed' a wof on no cats in his MPS, but elected to do an emissions test, and passed. So he just hands over a copy of the test with his WOF to pass now. 
We were surprised he passed, but it's actually a very lax test, so even with an aftermarket turbo and everything massively modified, he still gets WOFs.

17 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

Not quite right either actually, you can still pass a WOF with no cat, as long as you pass an emissions test too, which is an extra cost. 
A friend 'failed' a wof on no cats in his MPS, but elected to do an emissions test, and passed. So he just hands over a copy of the test with his WOF to pass now. 
We were surprised he passed, but it's actually a very lax test, so even with an aftermarket turbo and everything massively modified, he still gets WOFs.

Good to know. Most people would have assumed you'd very definitely fail proper emissions test without any cats.

Posted (edited)

So lets just say i have a catted downpipe, would that pass a emmissions test with the 1 high flow?

Edited by shadyslim

I'd say you'd still pass, it's something huge like 700g or something, which is super easy to pass. His MPS was tuned, and ran crazy rich, and flew through, nowhere near the limit, and he has no cats at all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

now just gotta contune saving up for the crazy amount it will cost for a catted downpipe lol because i cant get a decatted downpipe unless i get a custom built exhaust which still might be cheap then a cat back and downpipe

Edited by shadyslim
  • Like 1

Gut the cat, look on YouTube 

No need to save save save. 👍

Im asking around exhaust shops on what they charge for Turbo back systems. They seem to be around $1500+