Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI Spec C Type RA V8

Valkyrie

webup said:

Back on topic...does anyone have pics yet from Simon @ bling on this car as the trademe picture is not the actual vehicle.

i sent him through a message asking for pics and a chassis code, if that IS a spec C it seems like a good price.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DPI said:

I think you'll find that the 'RA' isn't much lighter than a normal STI in V7. As the article i read specifically said that the 'Spec c' was lighter than an RA, and the 'RA Spec C' was lighter again (by approx 80kg).

I weighed mine on a weigh bridge and got 1401kg (with a totally full tank and 60kg's of luggage in the boot). Making it damn near the quoted dry weight of 1290kg.

As to the options, what i meant was that in STD spec:

the RA SPEC C has 4 pots, no ABS, DCCD, 16 inch wheels and wind up windows.

the SPEC C has Brembo, ABS, no DCCD, 17 inch wheels, elec windows, air con and boot spoiler.

However, mine was optioned with air con and boot spoiler; i know of one in wellington (Spec c) that had brembos, ABS, no DCCD, no aircon, no spoiler and wind up windows.

And, there is another 'Spec C' for sale in Devonport that has all Spec c items, but wind ups.

I also know of two Spec C's with electric windows, one had rear spoiler, one didn't.

Also, some come with full std intake, where as the one i had had the intake deleted and the hole in the guard covered in heat tape, just sucked straight from the guard into the filter box.

I think the 'Spec c' came with boot interior too, where as the RA Spec C didn't.

So, it was a bit hit and miss.

As to overall weight, i don't know how much more the brembos and electric window motors weigh over the manual regulators and 4 pots, can't be much.

By the way, the boot lid isn't aluminium, it's just half thickness steel, like the roof.

Does yours have the deleted front bumper iron, boot relese or boot light?

Does it have the front horseshoe crossmember that bolts to the lower arms and runs under the radiator?

weird - my gt legacy with a full tank n my fat ass in it weighed 1420 on some calibrated truck scales....

Must have been the RA GT TT :)

lunchie said:

Just got a message back "The chassis code is GDB021827"

From the pics he sent me it is indeed a version 8 (can tell from steering wheel) but that code doesnt help at all, just confirms its a GD series....

Chassis code doesn't help much. Always get the Engine code

This is my understanding of how Spec C nomenclature works:

V7

Type RA

Type RA Spec C (applies to both 16" and 17" models)

(there was no V7 STi Spec C, only V7 STi Type RA Spec C)

What you're calling my car (V7 "Spec C") is clearly labelled WRX Impreza STi Type RA Spec C on the standard boot badging. My car didn't come optioned with a spoiler, and certainly the official pictures from STi clearly show the 17" model car as being "Type RA Spec C" without a spoiler. Also, I'm pretty sure that windup windows were the only thing you were able to get them with, electrics were not an option. However mine does have aircon, which I believe was a factory option. I will check the differences between my car and your old one as soon as Scoobydoo and I can get together. Regardless, both were a significantly different car from the plain old Type RA. This page best summarises the differences between Type RA and Type RA Spec C in the V7 cars:

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/jpnewagera.html

V8

Spec C (applies to both 16" and 17" model)

I have only seen a few 16" V8 Spec C around. Like the 16" V7, they lack Brembos, but I can't comment on the electric windows. It also had a budget interior without the STi bucket seats. I have seen a few of and driven a 17" Spec C, and it has Brembos, airbags, central locking, electric windows, as well as black interior trim. Not sure if it had electric wing mirrors.

V9

Spec C (includes WR limited special edition)

Spec C Type RA

Have never seen any of these in the flesh. I understand the standard Spec C to be the V9 update of the V8 Spec C. The Spec C Type RA was a fully optioned out Spec C with all luxuries ticked, including aircon and electrics, as well as carbon front spoiler, rear spoiler from the S202, upgraded Enkei silver alloys, and I think Arai tuned suspension which may have been four point damper adjustable.

V10

Spec C

Spec C Type RA-R

Obviously, the Spec C was the homologation car as in previous years, while the Type RA-R was the special penultimate GDB consumer release.

Yeah, think your right about 'Spec C' and 'RA Spec C' in V7, although i have seen two cars with rear badge (sticker actually) that just says Spec c, one of them had wind ups and one had electric windows.

The 17 inch wheel model is heavier than the 16 inch model by approx 80kg. 17 had (obviously) 17 inch rims to clear it's Brembo brakes which came with ABS, which meant that there was no DCCD box fitted. Other than that, i don't know what does or doesn't differ...

"Obviously, the Spec C was the homologation car as in previous years, while the Type RA-R was the special penultimate GDB consumer release"

Only the V7 Type RA Spec C was homologated, later versions homologated either the RA, or the STI.

Copy of 'Translated' press release on V7 RA Spec C:

2001 December 6th

Subaru Impreza WRX “STi type RA spec C”.

Now, Subaru offers the “STi type RA spec C” for use in the competition field, with high operational stability as a prerequisite for more manoeuvrability; it improves power efficiency by way of strengthening the rigidity of the chassis, the light weight conversion and the engine efficiency improvements.

1. Use in competition is improved by way of an approximately 90kg drop in weight over the conventional type STi type RA (170kg drop over conventional STI).

< Main light weight conversion item >

Part abolition:

Front sub frame, tunnel insulator, light weight carpet, driver's air bag, drivers seatbelt pretensioner and fixed seat belt lower anchor hook, driver's seat frame link, passenger airbag, boot trim, boot carpet, boot release, boot light.

Body and specification modification

Roof panel and trunk lid 50% weight reduction, glass sheet conversion to thinner glass, driver's seat side support wire miniaturization, fuel tank capacity modification (60L→50L) and window washer tank capacity modification (4L→3L), removal of ABS and Brembo Calliper/replacement with lighter Subaru 4 pot callipers.

Front bumper beam and steering wheel beam weight improvements, door beam and rear diff mount system.

2. Fitting of a larger VF34 turbocharger, inlet and exhaust efficiency improvement through port modification of the cylinder heads increases torque by 11N m (1.2kg-m) to 384N m (39.2kg-m), it delivers sharper engine response and improves power efficiency. Upgrading of ECU, VVT system and Camshaft profiles further increase engine power output by 28kW (37.53HP), to 234kW (313.65HP). Unique, fully forged ‘Spec C’ pistons are fitted to cope with higher compressor charge (1.5bar/21.76PSI).

3. Revised suspension geometry (increase of castor from 3.5 deg to 5 deg, creating a 15mm increase in wheelbase) creates chassis efficiency and operational stability characteristic.

In addition to the front bumper beam modification, installation of cross performance rod, which ties the central chassis with lower arm anterior left and right of the front cross member, raises the rigidity in cross direction of suspension and improves operational stability.

Coil spring height is lowered by 10mm, creating a lower centre of gravity

4. To cope with expected harsher conditions under competition, improvement of reliability is furthered by fitting of a transmission oil cooler to hold down the temperature of the transmission oil, thus improving the stability of lubricational performance.

Intercooler water spray tank capacity is increased by approximately 3 times, (3.8L→12L); this allows the injection pattern to be optimized and the possible continual injection time extended.

Installation position of intercooler water spray tank is moved from engine compartment to rear compartment bulkhead. This improves centre of gravity and increases Yaw handling potential.

And, the last part i never bothered with...

* BBS corporation make forging 17 inch private aluminum wheel (17 inch tire specification car)

* The bridgestone make new development private tire “[potenza] RE070” (17 inch tire specification car)

* MOMO corporation make shocking absorption pad attaching steering wheel

* driver control centre diff. [basic torque distribution 45.5: 54.5] (16 inch tire specification car)

* [kuitsukureshio] power steering (13: 1)

[burenbo] corporation make brake system [front: 17 inch ventilated disk + aluminum make tandem opposition 4 pot carry per, rear: 17 inch ventilated disk + aluminum make offset opposition 2 pot carry per] (17 inch tire specification car)

EBD (electronic control damping force distribution) it is attached, sou pass Potts ABS (17 inch tire specification car)

[maruchirihurekuta] type [harogenhetsudoraito]

[ruhubenchireta]

Also:

In 2000, the Impreza line received a complete update. The chassis was stiffened so that it had 120% torsional stiffness increase. The WRX STi gained 17" x 7.5" alloy wheels over the previous 16" x 7" wheels. The 5 speed transmission (reputed to be one of the car's weakpoints) was changed to an STi engineered 6 speed manual transmission. The engine was retained from the Version 6 STi and still retains the semi-closed deck block and is still labeled as the EJ207. However, the turbochargers are IHI models. The interior was updated with a STi logo on the gauge. The STi's gauge also has a red shift light. The STi's and optioned Type RA STi have received Brembo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes while the bare-bones Type RA STi still carried the Subaru 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes. Externally, the STis had larger hoodscoops and had foglight covers with STi embossed on them. The version nomenclature was dropped from the name. Japanese and other auto-enthusiasts often refer to the chassis as GDB/GDF (the STi has a 'B' or 'F'(for USDM models) where as the regular WRX had an 'A'). The forth charter of the VIN gives the revision (A to F where G is the current (2007) version).

(2000)

The WRX STi received the aforementioned updates. The WRX Type RA STi was produced. The STi wagon was still produced but its engine only produced 260 PS (191 kW). The STi foglight covers had white STi lettering on them.

The WRX Type RA STi was used for the Group N homologation.

(2002)

Along with the rest of the Impreza line, the grill and body of the WRX STi was minorly updated by Peter Stevens to give it a more angular look when seen from the side. The foglight covers had pink STi lettering. Not much else besides minor suspension improvements and a small increase in torque output was done.

The WRX Type RA STi was dropped for a new WRX STi Spec C. This model was much lighter than the WRX Type RA as it received lighter glass and body panels. The Spec C's handling was much improved due to an increase in caster (from 3.5 degrees to 5 degrees). This was achieved not by changing the suspension mounting point, but by lengthening the wheelbase (15 mm). This was done by including different control arms. This increased caster significantly helped the turn-in capabilities of the car. The Spec C also has a steering rack ratio of 13:1. The transmission is supplied with its own oil cooler.

The WRX STi wagon had ceased to be produced.

(2003)

Little change from Rev. B.

The WRX STi was used for Group N homologation.

(2004)

The WRX STi received the same Peter Stevens-designed facelift that rest of the Imprezas received. The WRX STi is now capable of being ordered with DCCD.

The WRX STi Spec C Type RA was released. It sported a carbon-fiber wing and a carbon fiber lip. It also had a new set of BBS wheels as well as a newly tuned engine.

The WRX STi V-limited was released. It sports 4-way dampers tuned by Subaru World Rally Team's Group N driver Toshi Arai.

The WRX STi was used for Group N homologation.

(2005)

The WRX STi receives the same increase in wheelbase as the Spec C. All STis received additional rear fender flaring in order to allow an increase in wheel size. The wheel size went from 17" x 7.5" to 17" x 8". In accordance with the increased wheel width, steering lock-to-lock turns have been reduced. Wheel hub strength was improved. The P.C.D. was changed from 5 x 100 mm to 5 x 114.3 mm.

(2006)

The WRX STI continues on relatively the same. The Impreza line's looks have been updated.

The WRX STI Spec C's receives the Arai tuned dampers and a 21 mm (0.8 in) swaybar. The rear suspension is changed from rubber bushings to pillowball bushings. The strut tower was further stiffened for improved handling and stability. The strut towers were reinforced for better handling and better ride characteristics. The engine mounts were changed from metal to liquid-filled plastic mounts to reduce vibrations into the car's cabin. Some 2006 owners have had issues with these plastic engine mounts. The manufacturer will replace them, under warranty if broken, with the 2005 rubber mounts.[5]

The DCCD is updated with the use of a torque-sensing mechanism inside the DCCD. The torque split is changed to 41/59.

The WRX STI Spec C was used for Group N homologation.

The WRX STI Spec C Type RA was released in November 2005, with 350 units produced. The Type RA added the following to the Spec C model from the STI parts catalogue: 4-way STI adjustable inverted struts, STI Japan-spec pink springs, STI rear lateral links, STI rear trailing links, STI 21 mm (0.8 in) rear sway bar, STI rear pillowball suspension, STI 110 mm (4.3 in) opening rear axleback exhaust, STI 17" x 8" Enkei-made wheels and STI V-lip front spoiler.

(2007)

The WRX STI and STI Spec C is mechanically similar to the previous revision.

Changes include a slightly larger turbo (VF43, as opposed to VF39 in the older version) and revised gearing on the 6 speed manual transmission.

so basically what your saying is that the STi type RA spec C is f**king mental and runs 1.5 bar boost and will kill you mum,ur sister and ur sisters bf who thinks his evo is "pretty quick bro".... you hear that CS? we all need to go buy STi type RA spec C's!!!!

lunchie said:

so basically what your saying is that the STi type RA spec C is f**king mental and runs 1.5 bar boost and will kill you mum,ur sister and ur sisters bf who thinks his evo is "pretty quick bro".... you hear that CS? we all need to go buy STi type RA spec C's!!!!

Mine does - DPI knows.. it used to be his!

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='lunchie said:

/quote]

Mine does - DPI knows.. it used to be his!

so is it all its cracked up to be?