Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0

ReubenH

kamineko said:

so, everything is done, your using the 75 ecu but not the AFM? so, trying to start with no AFM?

you need the AFM, and the correct one, wired properly.

newer V5/V6 generation apparently start and run poorly with no afm. I've never been able to start early v1-4 gen with no afm.

this is the 2S on the bg5a it still has the 5 plug afm on it with green afm plugged in. was told to run purple havnt got around to putting in yet. 75 is on the bg5 ej20r loom project.. lol sorry again my bad in lack of info.

well i just wanna say big thanks to Gazzy2000,kamineko,jimbob,leone94,koom and joker if i missed anyone else that helped me with info thanks.

I have finally got the BG5a project running! yes its running looking back at it now i must of annoyed the living hell out of some people thanks for not telling me to 'F' off hahaha

just need to plum up all the boost vac hoses and find out why tacho's not working.

car sounds like a beast.

I used aftermarket stainless extractors, split fuel rail mod with greys....., stainless steel turbo upipe with 38mm wastegate and screamer pipe, purple afm , tdo4L with wastegate actuator welded up, 2S ECU and reused alota of twinturbo stuff eg. TPS,IACV,loom etc.

will have pics uploaded in the next week or so.

much appreciated ! thanks guys!

tydon said:

well i just wanna say big thanks to Gazzy2000,kamineko,jimbob,leone94,koom and joker if i missed anyone else that helped me with info thanks.

I have finally got the BG5a project running! yes its running looking back at it now i must of annoyed the living hell out of some people thanks for not telling me to 'F' off hahaha

just need to plum up all the boost vac hoses and find out why tacho's not working.

car sounds like a beast.

I used aftermarket stainless extractors, split fuel rail mod with greys....., stainless steel turbo upipe with 38mm wastegate and screamer pipe, purple afm , tdo4L with wastegate actuator welded up, 2S ECU and reused alota of twinturbo stuff eg. TPS,IACV,loom etc.

will have pics uploaded in the next week or so.

much appreciated ! thanks guys!

good work man! the tacho wire iirc is a black with blue one. To find the correct wire you can remove the dash cluster and on the rear of the cluster you can view (on the tacho side) the 3 srews that hold the tacho in place. One is +ve, the another is -ve and the other has 'TA' written on it (for tacho obviously) then trace (visually) from TA screw on the circuit board to where it terminates/the plug plugs in, and thats your wire there!

Use a continuity test to confirm the correct wire at the ECU end

here is an old BG5a dash pic for you showing the TA screw

ghnntqsn.wsk.jpg

ok finally sorted out the car i have it idling perfect i think vac hoses are all plumbed up correct it drives well but i havent sorted out the external wastegate getting a kinda boost cut and the wastegate screams to a point and then boost cuts? i must have it plumbed up wrong??

tydon said:

ok finally sorted out the car i have it idling perfect i think vac hoses are all plumbed up correct it drives well but i havent sorted out the external wastegate getting a kinda boost cut and the wastegate screams to a point and then boost cuts? i must have it plumbed up wrong??

found one vac hose not on properly everything is plumbed up and running awesomely mint.

running a clean and crisp 14psi. thanks all

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Wow what a cool site, so much info.

Im in the middle of putting a 97 wrx ej20k into my 94 legacy gt ej20h. Finding it realy hard to get my head round the ecu swap but this site making it a bit easyer so cheers.

Is the pinout at the bottom of the first page the right one for my 20h? and anyone have a pinout for the 3 plug 20k?

Im wanting to just try making one of those adapters i saw a few pages back.

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, everybody! Does anyone have an experience with monoturbo restyled (D) adjustment, legacy BE5. "Brains" 16 bit, mechanical flow control valve, AT. The problem is with transmission shift from 2 to 3. The basic firmware is taken from WRX, we have switched out AVCS in it. Check does not work. We used MAF HAK for adjustment since 16-bit "brains" do not see over 300 grams. You may have such an experience? Or probably some particular person from your forum may help?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I have a EUDM 1997 impreza GT (those have a 155kw ej20g engine). My engine has died and i was searching for a new one when I came across ej20h twin turbo for a nice price, so i thought i\'d give this swap a try. So I basicly have everything i need, the question that bugs me is the ecu/cr/detonation thing. I have my stock TD04 turbo and ecu. The cr of my old engine was 8.0:1 if i remember right. Do i really need a new ecu? Also would I be able to reduce the cr to 8.0:1 by just using my old pistons from ej20g?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Been fluffing around with my mates twin going to single...

about the 02 sensor. I have a hole in single turbo manifold where one used to be... The sensor wont reach so I plan to plug up the threaded hole in the single turbo manifold and put the sensor behind the turbo on the down pipe? all G?

Also anyone have some spare EFI hose in chch that I could buy off you? Otherwise where is cheapest?

scottiescottiescottie said:

Hey guys,

Been fluffing around with my mates twin going to single...

about the 02 sensor. I have a hole in single turbo manifold where one used to be... The sensor wont reach so I plan to plug up the threaded hole in the single turbo manifold and put the sensor behind the turbo on the down pipe? all G?

Also anyone have some spare EFI hose in chch that I could buy off you? Otherwise where is cheapest?

yep all good with o2 relocation. ;)

• 2 months later...

Just wondering i have a bd5a, rear wheel drive, that i have transplanted a full ej20r v1 singlw turbo engine with all engine wiring, all the engine plugs plug in but im wondering if i have to repin my four plug ecu, i have the v1 4 plug ecu that plugs straight in, do i need to repin my plugs for the single turbo ecu?

91 gt wagon said:

Just wondering i have a bd5a, rear wheel drive, that i have transplanted a full ej20r v1 singlw turbo engine with all engine wiring, all the engine plugs plug in but im wondering if i have to repin my four plug ecu, i have the v1 4 plug ecu that plugs straight in, do i need to repin my plugs for the single turbo ecu?

so to confirm, you have an EJ20R block with WRX V1/2 intake and sensors & engine loom + the V1 4plug ECU, all on factory BG/BD5 chassis loom ?

that setup would physically plug in, but defiantly require a repin.

slightly unusual mix but it looks like your just working with what you have.

i\'m sure there is information in this thread somewhere on running a 4plug V1/V2 WRX ECU on the 4plug BG/BD5A loom. just check it might be expecting the twin turbo engine side loom which will differ slightly to the V1/V2.

not sure about the engine-loom -> chassis-loom plugs under the bonnet. i don\'t know how compatible the pinouts are between the setups. best to check everything

hope you like wiring :)

im wondering if anyone has the engine plug pin out for the bd5a and the bc5, im having issues finding where my knock sensor wires are also on the bd5, i have a bc5 ecu and engine, im guessing the car loomb is wat is going to be against me

• 3 months later...

i-has-a-question.jpg

Anyone used a TD05 for the single? I think at least one person has used a TD04

I\'m wondering if the TD05 would be too laggy around town in a tall geared BG5 (well I find it tall)

I also wonder if a TD04 could keep me interested on the motorway. hmmm

Currently the twinturbo is only interesting between 6-8krpm. I must remedy this..