Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

evljat said:

I test drove a V3 STi today and noticed that when in gear there was a bit play (wobble, looseness whatever you want to call it) in the gear stick. Is this normal? If not how hard/expensive is it to fix?

Thanks guys.

Common occurance. Just takes a couple of small bushes to replace, not much $$.

There\'s a few write ups around here somewhere.

evljat said:

No the ones in the knuckle. Do a search swindog has a write up with pics so you can see it.

Knuckle p/n -

[font=]Bush P/n - 35035KA030 [/]

I pulled mine out yesterday side to side one bush was non exsistent the other not far from it the front to back ones were pretty good.

how do ppl survive with cars dumped to the ground/

lol

dont they hit the curbs everywhere and what abt when driving hard..does it not hit the guards or rub

thats what i think everytime i see a car dumped hard (stance thing done to it)...

Depends *how* low we\'re talking here

I think it\'s something you adjust to as well, I think back to how it was with some cars I\'ve had and just cringe - like the old crabbing over judder bumps sideways, seeing sparks behind at nighttime after big bumps. Ahh memories. No different to how some folks will happliy put up with stripped interior, ridic hard suspension, no power under 5-6k etc.

Some cars can visually look pretty low slung without actually having much clearance issues - some are the opposite and don\'t look bad but only habe like 80mm to subframe sorta thing haha

QRAF said:

I want to say you can never be to low, but i know from experience you can :P

yea bro. Could slam the back of my old legacy and the exhaust would be dragging along the ground.

The bullshit little mud/splash gaurds on it also got ground right down

love the feeling of driving a bumped car - boucing everywhere

• Admin
 SP00N said:

lol

dont they hit the curbs everywhere and what abt when driving hard..does it not hit the guards or rub

thats what i think everytime i see a car dumped hard (stance thing done to it)...

There\'s low, then there\'s REALLY low....

You can\'t fit a coke can under my sills but I almost never hit anything... except the other day I scraped a speed bump I thought would be EASY and tore half the heatwrap off my headers @___@

It\'s all about angles ;)

ok dumb question i can smell gas where would it be coming from ???

its only when i\'m outside the car i\'ve checked the split fuel rails and system an can\'t see anything but it does seem to be using more gas lately. But the cars driving fine

What i\'m thinking its my fuel pressure regulator is bung? and is running rich

or could it be an exhaust leak?

Just fixed both my rocker cover gaskets.. finally the leak is gone. except there is still the smallest leak now about a 1cm wide drip on the ground overnight?

can\'t see any drips actually seeping through the bottom of the gasket like it was before I fixed it. also I wiped the cam covers and the next day theres a really small pool of oil sitting on the top of it.. is it oil or power steering fluid? how the hell did it get up there?

im going to redo the passenger side gasket incase it slipped out on the side when I was putting it on, but if it isn\'t that can anyone point me in the right direction?

SP00N said:

lol

depends on the driver if they can drive or not ::) guards only rub if your wheels are to wide lyk 18 or 19 by 9 off set plays a big part too ;D

QRAF said:

ok dumb question i can smell gas where would it be coming from ???

its only when i\'m outside the car i\'ve checked the split fuel rails and system an can\'t see anything but it does seem to be using more gas lately. But the cars driving fine

What i\'m thinking its my fuel pressure regulator is bung? and is running rich

or could it be an exhaust leak?

I\'d be checking O2 sensor and give maf a clean. Factory Fpr failing are quite rare and when they go bung don\'t they leak? In which case you would lose pressure and lean out or if it was blocked it would fill that side of cylinders with fuel?

Technically, yes

From LVVTA website:

Exhaust

(11-1 Exhaust system and silencer) Fitting of or modification to: LVV Certification is never required: (never refer to LVV Certifier)

Exhaust system or silencer

 In-service requirements for condition and performance must be met

Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a turbo or waste-gate.

Fault lies with cert guy, however also with you for "not having it certed" in the first place, nothing to say you didn\'t add w/gate after you got LVVTA cert done (no different to "But I have a 1 day old WOF and may have swapped the struts after I got it/something caused my tyres to go bald in the last 100km" etc)

edit - more from same website

Minor modifications to OE engine not requiring certification:

 The modifications result in not more than 20% more power than the OE engine, which may include the fitting of:

 extractor or free-flow exhaust manifolds, big bore exhaust systems; or

 changed intake manifolds; or

 changed or multiple carburettors; or

 modified fuel injection systems; or

 changed ignition systems; or

 alternative cold air box induction systems.

Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a supercharger or turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a supercharger, turbo or wastegate, or the re-chipping of electronic engine control units on turbo vehicles.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

You\'d have to be getting done over with a fine tooth comb to get pinged for it, but that\'s the exact explanation there I guess

Bit of a grey area I guess when you\'re allowed to modify fuel injection and ignition systems, but need a cert for "re-chipping" of ECU\'s isn\'t it?

• Admin

I have loads of mods certed but not on the plate - it should be on the LV-001 form you get issued at the same time (and should keep a photocopy in the glovebox).

This is why it pays to talk lots with your certifier and make sure everything is included (and also get some latitude in the wording, for example my VF34 is certed as "larger turbo" which means I can replace it later and not need to re-cert according to the paperwork)

• Admin
 HKSREX said:

Cert guy said it didnt need to be on plate as it was plumbed in so I didnt need to worry about it. in fact i think gate is welded into exhaust lol I think as was installed before I brought car so I cant unplumb it even if i tried. it is an aftermarket wastegate btw. and yes I did take it through cert with wastegate and DID NOT put it on after cert.

Cop was just finding anything they could to make life harder for me.

Cert guy, sadly, was wrong. Changing wastegate = certifiable mod, should have been on the paperwork at the very least and car should be listed as SUBARU MOD (if it\'s a subaru...)

• Admin
 HKSREX said:

If thats the case, I will try get my cert guy to contact police and say he was in the wrong and see If I can get out of paying to update cert as It was only done 2 weeks ago and stickered last week. Very annoyed

You could try to run an absense of fault argument - you attempted to make the car legal, and had reasonable grounds to believe it was legal.

Could get messy though with the cert guy. He should have photographed a lot of it for the cert documention, I think, which might help you.

• Guest locked this topic