Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Give way road rule change confirmed

subieboy

Bloody about time

Give way road rule change confirmed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4178822/Give-way-road-rule-change-confirmed

Transport Minister Steven Joyce has confirmed "confusing" give way rules for turning vehicles are to be changed.

Under the current law, left-turning traffic has to give way to right-turning traffic coming towards it.

Under the changes announced today, this would be reversed so the left turning vehicle would have right of way.

Changes were also planned to the rule for T-intersections, when there were conflicting right turns.

The proposed changes would reverse the give way rule, allowing left turning traffic right of way.

At T-intersections, where two cars are turning right, the car turning off the main road would have right of way - reversing the status quo.

The changes would come into effect in early 2012, Mr Joyce said.

"Our current give way rules for turning vehicles are confusing and out of step with the rest of the world. Research shows changing the rules could reduce relevant intersection crashes by 7 per cent."

New Zealand's give way rule was introduced in 1977 and holds that a vehicle turning right takes precedence over a vehicle turning left.

New Zealand is the only country in the world with this priority rule. The Automobile Association says the rules are a factor in 2560 intersection crashes, and one or two deaths, each year. Some 17 percent of crashes are at intersections.

The Government has also announced changes to motorcycle and moped laws including a power to weight restriction for novice riders, as well as:

* Tougher motorcycle licence tests which are also more motorcycle specific;

*Removing the option for motorcycles to complete an approved driving course, and so cutting the amount of time they spend on a restricted motorcycle licence;

* Motorcycle specific training to be introduced as an alternative to the standard resting regime;

*Requiring all novice motorcyclists, regardless of age, to be subject to the same minimum time requirements.

Currently over 25 year olds have a shorter time requirement on the restricted licence.

* Require all moped riders to complete a moped handling skills test along with a motorcycle learner theory test

*Introduce refresher training options and promote high visibility and protecting clothing benefits.

Power to weight restrictions would allow novice riders a greater range of bikes that were suited to their skill levels, Mr Joyce said.

"Motorcyclists are 20 times more at risk of being involved in a fatal or serious injury crash than car drivers per kilometre driven.``

Why change it? This will just cause more accidents. I agree on the T intersection change, but not the 4 way intersection, the car wanting to turn right across more lanes has to wait longer, this will cause massive backlogs in traffic. Waiting for a gap to go only to see that you also need to give way to the person who merely has to take a small corner, when you have to cross more lanes, with more exposure on the intersection.

subieboy said:

they are changing it because it is counter intuitive... Oh and we are the ONLY country in the world that does it this way...

Its not counterintuitive, just a convention - which they're dumbing down to suit less capable drivers who are too dumb to check their mirrors before turning.

I think its the fact that other countries don't do it which is the main reason though, to stop the masses of tourists getting confused.

Regardless of which way around the rule is, we are changing it because there are too many people on our roads who can't even understand the rules let alone put them into practice. I always thought we put too much effort into driving; effort much better spent eating bowls of cereal wearing headphones and tweeting on the motorway.

pervert said:

Having lived in countries where this is the rule it makes perfect logical sense. Has taken far too long for this change to happen.

+1 to the above and above that one. I have no issues and makes sense, always thought it was a stupid rule and hate getting stuck behind drivers refusing to turn left. As they refuse to look in their rear vision mirrors to see there is traffic still going straight through.

Hopefully will stop the people who give way to right hand turning traffic when there is more then 1 lane and they don't have to give way... That really annoys the crap out of me.

I would have thought they'd think about changing it before the world cup, save those silly tourists trying to work it out.

I dont know anyone who does the t junction rule lol

As for the idiots that turn right into a two laner and still go for the furtherest one, shoot them and I have friends who always do it - you fools lol The only time I do it, is when Im heading to the petrol station that 5 metres from the corner but I indicate that Im heading that way :)

i have to agree with the give way swap too

driving around aussie i was annoyed that i had to give way and couldnt go but it is safer and i can see that there would be less accidents caused by confusion.

some of us here in NZ are having a moan because its something that is changing!! some people just dont like change full stop, and they cant claim ingnorance because they know Mr blue wont buy it!

ived had a few near misses entering my street (tee intersection with two dead ends each way) where people are coming from my left wanting to turn right and expecting me to give way when im not on a give way. neither are they, but we have to give way to our right if there is no give way sign for either of us right???!!!

i love laying on the horn and waving my closed fist at them. i'll still drive in front of them and go first. i will have an accident one day coz i dont stop for them its a slow speed area and its not like i race up to that intersection and just go :D

Divine said:

Why change it? This will just cause more accidents. I agree on the T intersection change, but not the 4 way intersection, the car wanting to turn right across more lanes has to wait longer, this will cause massive backlogs in traffic. Waiting for a gap to go only to see that you also need to give way to the person who merely has to take a small corner, when you have to cross more lanes, with more exposure on the intersection.

That Was one of the reasons the introduced the right hand rule in the 1st place. Traffic turning right just sat there and caused alot of traffic Jam problems. Back then there were alot less cars on the road too.

Man people are going to get confused and No one will give way to other lol ::):P

pharnos said:

"The rule was first introduced in 1977 after a change in Victoria to accommodate Melbourne's trams. But Melbourne abandoned the rule in 1993."

well seems some people are putting this into practise now...hence i almost rear ended someone this morning grrr >:(

So thats now 2 instances of this nearly causing an accident.....Fukkers

and no i wasnt speeding or following too close SHE just unexpectedly gave way at the last moment

Divine said:

Was thinking about this on the way back from a meeting this morning. Theyll have to put in green arrows at most light intersections. Was sitting there at the lights going man it takes long enough to get across when you have right of way with through traffic coming at you, then thought...if they change the law to me having to give way ill have to make left turns my entire life cos ill get stuck at right turn lights and never get through!

I thought the current rule was introduced to avoid lines of cars forming up in the middle of the road waiting to turn right.there is more danger having cars waiting in that position than waiting on the side of the road waiting to turn left.

However the existing law does lead to alot of indecisiveness by people who at the best of times have trouble making up their minds.

I dont think the new law will make the roads safer for these people,it will just be different.

pedro said:

I thought the current rule was introduced to avoid lines of cars forming up in the middle of the road waiting to turn right.there is more danger having cars waiting in that position than waiting on the side of the road waiting to turn left.

However the existing law does lead to alot of indecisiveness by people who at the best of times have trouble making up their minds.

I dont think the new law will make the roads safer for these people,it will just be different.

Yes that I agree with.

I am also amaized at how many tourists/ overseas students or etc come over here and dont even look at our road rules code.

Making quite a few mistakes and etc .